    when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
    address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
    doesnt work?
    sandman, Dec 12, 2003

  2. sandman

    Pete Guest

    sandman , over to you ... :

    >when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
    >address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
    >doesnt work?

    I just had a look at the site myself, seems interesting. Did you put
    '127.0.0.1 localhost' in ? Apparently, that's what you do if you're using
    Windows 2000/XP.

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete, Dec 12, 2003

  3. sandman

    sandman Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > sandman , over to you ... :
    >

    >>when configureing dns kong with windows xp behind a nat router, what
    >>address do you put in the tcp/ip dns property? if i try 127.0.0.1 it
    >>doesnt work?

    > I just had a look at the site myself, seems interesting. Did you put
    > '127.0.0.1 localhost' in ? Apparently, that's what you do if you're using
    > Windows 2000/XP.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pete.

    email from pyrenan. many thanks too those people

    Yes I'll be happy to help.

    Your NAT router supports machines behind the router with what are
    called private (or non-routed) IPs. These IPs will be in one of
    several IP ranges depending on the NAT router:
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.0.0
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.0

    For example, My Linksys assigns IPs in the range
    192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255
    with the router itself using 192.168.1.1 inside the
    net.

    Most NATs allow using either automatic address assignment via
    DHCP or static IP assignment via your machines network control
    panel. Almost all allow a mix of both static and automatic IP
    assignment. For DNSKong to run behind the NAT the machine needs
    to be given a static IP in the router's IP range. The IPs
    ending with .0 , .1 and .255 are almost always reserved so
    you should not use any IP ending with one of those numbers for your
    DNSKong machine. Your NAT documentation is the best place to
    determine what IPs to avoid.
    It is also a good idea to use a command window to determine your
    other network properties prior to setting up DNSKong. From the
    taskbar start|run type
    cmd
    which will bring up a command window. (Win 98 uses command instead of
    cmd).
    At the command prompt type
    ipconfig /all
    this will list your current network settings.
    You want to locate and record the values of the items labeled:
    IP address
    Subnet Mask
    Default Gateway
    DNS Servers

    Select your network properties for your internet adapter. The images
    on <http://www.pyrenean.com/config.php> are close to what you will see
    but they are not from XP.

    You will want to set the Properties of your Internet Protocol adapter.

    Pick a valid IP in the NAT routers range for your DNSKong machine
    and set the machine's network properties to have that IP using the
    subnet mask and gateway IP you found from the ipconfig. You can
    also use the IP address from ipconfig for this purpose.

    In the DNS settings for your connection enter your machines IP address
    as the primary DNS.
    You may be prompted to restart your machine. That is fine to do at
    this time.

    Next start DNS Kong.
    Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
    Options | Proxy DNS ...
    add your ipconfig DNS IPs in the first 2 edits of the Configure
    Proxied DNS servers edits. Click OK.

    Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
    Options | IP Info ....
    Click OK on the machine name popup.
    Locate your static IP in the
    Available Machine IP addresses: list
    Select your IP.
    Click To Serve.

    Right click the green swimming trunks icon in the tray. Select
    and check Options | Use Proxy

    Start and Stop DNSKong.
    You should be ready to go.

    You will also want to pick one of the filter folders supplied with
    DNSKong as the defaults filter nothing.

    Best regards,
    Pyrenean
    sandman, Dec 13, 2003