    A Caching-only server forwards all DNS requests to another DNS server
    unless it has the requested information in its cache.

    What's the difference?
    David Fox, Oct 5, 2004

  2. David Fox

    Guan Foo Wah Guest

    A caching-only server will try to resolve a received DNS querry using
    iterative methods based on the root hints. By default, once you install the
    DNS server on your Windows, without any configuration your server is already
    a caching-only server.

    A forwarding server just forwards any DNS querry to another DNS server to
    resolve (using recursive methods). Depending on the settings, if the querry
    fails, this DNS server will try to resolve the DNS querry using iterative
    methods based on the root hints. The results of the querry will also be
    cached. So in my own terms, this is a forwarding and caching only server.

    Guan Foo Wah, Oct 5, 2004

  3. A caching server can be a forwarding dns server but a forwarding dns server
    is not necessarily a caching only dns server. A caching only dns server does
    not contain any dns zones and therefore can not be authoritative for any
    lookups. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 5, 2004