    Cable ISP

    any thoughts?

    --mike
    Mbt6, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Mbt6, the vegetative, villainous jolthead, and quilt weaver, cowered:

    > I have a few web sites that I can't get to from home, like...
    > www.cnet.com, www.download.com, and some pages of www.asus.com. All
    > other sites, and connectivity seems to be just fine. The error I get
    > is a DNS error. I contact my ISP, Comcast Cable, and they suggest
    > removing my router, and cycling my Cable Modem. Sure enough, when I
    > hook the cable out of the modem directly to the pc, I can get to
    > these sites without a problem. As soon as I set the router back up,
    > it fails to work again. It wasn't always like this, but I can't be
    > certain when it started.

    Checking that the router is using the correct DNS server is always a good
    start. If that's in order, set it tou se one of the myriads of public DNS
    servers as a secondary. And if that doesn't work, set it to use the public
    DNS server as the primary.

    --
    You groaning, mucoidal, smelly arseface.
    Pa-nedjem-a X, Aug 30, 2004