DNS entry for SPF

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ludwig77, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Ludwig77

    Ludwig77 Guest

    Can someone confirm that I have entered this DNS entry in correctly for
    a txt record for SPF?

    I have changed the names to fictious ones.

    If I have coded this correctly, I should be authorizing servers with
    hostnames of six.yada.com, 5.yada.com, ms1.ms2.yadastrett.com and a
    server with IP address of 206.111.18.65 to send mail on behalf of the
    domain:

    "v=spf1 a:six.yada.com a:5.yada.com a:ms1.ms2.yadastreet.com
    ip4:206.111.18.65 -all"

    What would have been the difference with using this record vs using an
    entry of "v=spf1 mx:six.yada.com mx:5.yada.com
    mx:ms1.ms2.yadastreet.com ip4:206.111.18.65 -all"

    Does MX: mean that the recipient server is to interpret each value
    (following the "mx:") as a domain name and look up their MX records or
    does it mean that each of these values must be in the MX record for the
    domain name associated with the txt record?

    Ludwig77, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Ludwig77

    why? Guest

    On 30 Sep 2005 18:00:23 -0700, Ludwig77 wrote:

    >Can someone confirm that I have entered this DNS entry in correctly for
    >a txt record for SPF?

    www.google.com look for - dns spf syntax
    there are lots of examples and guides to the syntax.

    HOWTO - Define an SPF Record
    The SPF record states that the A record of mail.example.com alone is
    permitted
    to send mail for the domain. ... Pro DNS and BIND by Ron Aitchison ...
    www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/spf.html - 39k - 29 Sep 2005 - Cached -
    Similar pages

    http://spf.pobox.com/

    >I have changed the names to fictious ones.
    >
    >If I have coded this correctly, I should be authorizing servers with
    >hostnames of six.yada.com, 5.yada.com, ms1.ms2.yadastrett.com and a
    >server with IP address of 206.111.18.65 to send mail on behalf of the
    >domain:
    >
    >"v=spf1 a:six.yada.com a:5.yada.com a:ms1.ms2.yadastreet.com
    >ip4:206.111.18.65 -all"
    >
    >What would have been the difference with using this record vs using an
    >entry of "v=spf1 mx:six.yada.com mx:5.yada.com
    >mx:ms1.ms2.yadastreet.com ip4:206.111.18.65 -all"

    If you want to know what's going on use the wizard on the pbox.com link
    , select your settings and use the 'Explain' button. There is also a
    link to test SPF records.

    >Does MX: mean that the recipient server is to interpret each value
    >(following the "mx:") as a domain name and look up their MX records or
    >does it mean that each of these values must be in the MX record for the
    >domain name associated with the txt record?

    This wizard found 3 names for the MX servers for <domain>: srv1, srv2,
    and srv3.
    (A single machine may go by more than one hostname. All of them are
    shown.)
    The servers behind those names are allowed to send mail from <domain>.

    Me

    why?, Oct 1, 2005