DNS dropout connection still ok

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Walton, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. Steve Walton

    Steve Walton Guest

    For several months now I have experienced the following problem

    ISP connection ISDN
    Win98SE

    Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
    Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
    Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
    ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)

    I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
    names.

    This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
    restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
    In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
    either.
    I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
    can't see how the ISP can be the problem.

    so what is casuing the problem ?
    my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
    usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
    But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
    DOS window to have the same problem.

    Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
    need to reboot ?

    Steve
    Steve Walton, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Steve Walton

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Steve Walton <> wrote:

    > For several months now I have experienced the following problem ISP
    > connection ISDN Win98SE Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
    > Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from Opera.

    I've outgrown that.

    > I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc ipconfig and Winipcfg
    > confirm I still have NS servers(2) I can in fact ping both of these DNS
    > addresses, but can not reolve any names.

    Prove that you can in fact ping both of these dns addresses, Walton.

    Tell some **** that cares.

    > In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work either.

    All the time?

    > I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
    > can't see how the ISP can be the problem.

    You will never know unless you try.

    > so what is casuing the problem?

    What's your best taxi story?

    > my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download usage,
    > ie dns response is slow - maybe times out But I can't see why this
    > happening within say Opera should cause my DOS window to have the same
    > problem.

    I can not help you see why that happening within say opera should cause your
    dos window to have the same problem.

    > Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the need
    > to reboot?

    You haven't reached that level yet.
    pcbutts1, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Steve Walton

    Steve Walton Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:10:59 +0100, Steve Walton
    <> wrote:

    >For several months now I have experienced the following problem
    >
    >ISP connection ISDN
    >Win98SE
    >
    >Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
    >Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
    >Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
    >ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)
    >
    >I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
    >names.
    >
    >This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
    >restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
    >In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
    >either.
    >I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
    >can't see how the ISP can be the problem.
    >
    >so what is casuing the problem ?
    >my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
    >usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
    >But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
    >DOS window to have the same problem.
    >
    >Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
    >need to reboot ?

    this obviously is still happening.

    Drop out doesn't always happend after peak downloads - just can't see
    any pattern to the cause

    and surely there must be a way that I can resolve (!) the problem
    without having to reboot.

    ??

    Steve
    Steve Walton, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Steve Walton

    Guest

    Steve Walton <> wrote:

    |>On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:10:59 +0100, Steve Walton
    |><> wrote:
    |>
    |>>For several months now I have experienced the following problem
    |>>
    |>>ISP connection ISDN
    |>>Win98SE
    |>>
    |>>Connection working normaly, mainly Agent and Opera
    |>>Then I get serfer lookup problem with Agent or server no found from
    |>>Opera. I run a DOS window to check connetivity etc
    |>>ipconfig and Winipcfg confirm I still have NS servers(2)
    |>>
    |>>I can in fact ping both of these DNS addresses, but can not reolve any
    |>>names.
    |>>
    |>>This is bad enough, I'd normally blame the ISP etc, but closing and
    |>>restarting the connection doesn't solve the problem.
    |>>In fact closing all th applications and reststarting doesn't work
    |>>either.
    |>>I have to do a complete system restart, then it works perfectly, so I
    |>>can't see how the ISP can be the problem.
    |>>
    |>>so what is casuing the problem ?
    |>>my only real clue is that it seems to happen after heavy download
    |>>usage, ie dns response is slow - maybe times out
    |>>But I can't see why this happening within say Opera should cause my
    |>>DOS window to have the same problem.
    |>>
    |>>Next what can I stop/restart to get DNS resolving back without the
    |>>need to reboot ?
    |>>

    |>this obviously is still happening.
    |>
    |>Drop out doesn't always happend after peak downloads - just can't see
    |>any pattern to the cause
    |>
    |>and surely there must be a way that I can resolve (!) the problem
    |>without having to reboot.

    Have you tried: ipconfig /flushdns

    --
    , Jul 21, 2005