DNS Blocked

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <Vxzbe.1601$>,
    Alistair Budd took 9 lines to utter:

    >I have written small DNS server using port 53.
    >It works fine until I install the LAN.
    >For some reason UDP port 53 is blocked once the LAN is installed.
    >
    >Any ideas??

    Write a better one.

    --
    "The road to success is always under construction."
    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005

  2. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <Vxzbe.1601$>,
    Alistair Budd took 9 lines to utter:

    >I have written small DNS server using port 53.
    >
    >It works fine until I install the LAN.
    >
    >For some reason UDP port 53 is blocked once the LAN is installed.
    >
    >Any ideas??

    Oh, and by the way, please fix your clock and/or Time Zone.
    You are posting from the future.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2005

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    When you have altered your Time Zone/clock, and
    fixed your double-spaced line feeds, then post back
    and supply more details about your system and
    what you are trying to achieve.
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

    In <HRzbe.1607$>,
    Alistair Budd took 32 lines to utter:

    >If only it was that easy.
    >
    >It uses windows API.
    >
    >All it does is open up the UDP port 53.
    >
    >Listen and wait.
    >
    >When a packet is received I do my code.
    >
    >Problem is that the packet never arrives.
    >
    >It works fine until the network is installed

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2005
  4. °Mike°

    Rob K Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:01 -0700, Alistair Budd wrote:

    > I have written small DNS server using port 53.

    I get the impression you're deliberatly posting from the future. You
    want to attract attention, huh ?
    Ne conjugare nobiscum. TINN.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.
    Rob K, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)

    Windows XP SP2.
    Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
    I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I wish to
    host it on my computer.
    DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
    www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
    All works fine until network is installed.
    All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
    Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to receive
    it.
    Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
    Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program at
    the top of the stack

    Alistair Budd, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Date was wrong, sorry all.

    Alistair Budd, Apr 27, 2005
  7. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    It sounds like your DNS is not set up correctly. Here is
    some reading on the subject:

    Configuring DNS Servers
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2004/plan/configuring_DNS.mspx

    Troubleshooting DNS
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/support/trblshoot/dnstshot.mspx

    Troubleshooting DNS
    http://www.chicagotech.net/dnstroubleshooting.htm

    In <pgAbe.1616$>,
    Alistair Budd took 52 lines to utter:

    >Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)
    >
    >Windows XP SP2.
    >Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
    >I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I wish to
    >host it on my computer.
    >DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
    >www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
    >All works fine until network is installed.
    >All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
    >Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to receive
    >it.
    >Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
    >Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program at
    >the top of the stack

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2005
  8. °Mike°

    FML Guest

    Alistair Budd spewed forth...

    > Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)
    >
    > Windows XP SP2.
    > Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
    > I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I
    > wish to host it on my computer.
    > DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
    > www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.
    > All works fine until network is installed.
    > All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
    > Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to
    > receive it.
    > Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
    > Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program
    > at the top of the stack
    >
    > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> When you have altered your Time Zone/clock, and
    >> fixed your double-spaced line feeds, then post back
    >> and supply more details about your system and
    >> what you are trying to achieve.
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/post.html
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
    >>

    >> In <HRzbe.1607$>,
    >> Alistair Budd took 32 lines to utter:
    >>
    >>>If only it was that easy.
    >>>
    >>>It uses windows API.
    >>>
    >>>All it does is open up the UDP port 53.
    >>>
    >>>Listen and wait.
    >>>
    >>>When a packet is received I do my code.
    >>>
    >>>Problem is that the packet never arrives.
    >>>
    >>>It works fine until the network is installed

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    You haven't mentioned whether you have a firewall running, if you do you
    may try adding UDP port 53 and TCP port 53 to the firewall exceptions
    list.
    FML, Apr 27, 2005
  9. °Mike°

    sbb78247 Guest

    yea, **** off and die
    sbb78247, Apr 27, 2005
  10. °Mike°

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:01 -0700, Alistair Budd wrote:

    >I have written small DNS server using port 53.

    That's nice, you give away a lot of useful information.

    Here is a small DNS cache server, already written and works fine.
    Unlimited users USD $99, http://www.extratools.com/

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Apr 27, 2005
  11. °Mike°

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:47:09 +1200, Alistair Budd wrote:

    >Just noticed date was wrong, as well as time/zone (This is my test PC)
    >
    >Windows XP SP2.
    >Have designed EMail Server, DNS, HTTP Server.
    >I have Web site www.tsd.net.nz that is hosted by another company, I wish to
    >host it on my computer.

    Your PC uses a static IP address, you setup domain name forwarding to
    your PC.

    >DNS Lookup fails when I set up my Network. e.g from another computer
    >www.tsd.net.nz fails, works if network is not installed on server.

    It would if 'network is not installed'?

    Isn't your app then not looking up another DNS (ISP server) as you are
    not forwarding requests outside your network?

    If you are not sure on how DNS caching only, forwarding works.

    www.oreilly.com
    look for the books

    DNS & BIND , by Cricket Lu
    DNS & BIND Cookbook

    BIND documentation, http://www.isc.org/

    Any of the Linux DNS HOWTOs, sohws diffenent modes of operation.
    www.google.com

    >All works fine until network is installed.
    >All programs written in Delphi, using Windows API.
    >Just want to get windows to open UDP port 53, or allow my program to receive
    >it.
    >Have tried heaps, Security, filtering.
    >Would like to know what is blocking the port, or how to put my program at
    >the top of the stack

    Registry / File Monitor - TCP/UDP port monitoring -
    www.sysinternals.com

    Packet Capture - www.ethereal.com or analyzer / windump
    http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/netgroup/tools.html

    why?, Apr 27, 2005
  12. I have written small DNS server using port 53.

    Alistair Budd, Apr 27, 2005
  13. If only it was that easy.

    Alistair Budd, Apr 27, 2005