    2. Why would DNS cause such a delay with my ISP?

    3. What's with the lack of errors in Event Viewer?

    thanks.

    Joe the Bartender, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Joe the Bartender

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Joe the Bartender" <> wrote in
    news:uwyYb.13175$:

    > To make a long story short, I disabled DNS service in my Sony Vaio XP,
    > since I finally concluded that that was causing my ISP to take over a
    > minute to "come alive" each time I connected. I then noticed that it
    > has been several days and not a single error (of any sort) in my Event
    > Viewer. There used to be plenty, mostly undeciperable to me (none
    > mentioned DNS).
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. Did adding a HOSTS file cause this DNS problem? I put things back
    > the way they were, but still the problem persists.
    >
    > 2. Why would DNS cause such a delay with my ISP?
    >
    > 3. What's with the lack of errors in Event Viewer?
    >
    > thanks.

    The Host file will cause a delay at times on a NT based O/S that's what I
    hear. But I only experienced it one time on my Win 2K or XP Pro machines.
    Otherthan that, I have not experienced any delays. You should be able to
    disable the DNS service, which speeds things up, and if you're not using
    IPsec that uses the DNS service.

    BTW, I did have an advertisment Trojan that was on the machine that had
    the delay and I think the Host was stopping it at boot-up, which I have
    removed.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Joe the Bartender

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I also noticed that you're part of the AT&T network. I too am part of the
    AT&T network which InsightBB my ISP uses AT&T as their network backbone. I
    have notice some delays as well and looks like AT&T may be having some
    problems with the network. At some points, it was taking 20 seconds or more
    to view a post and sometimes Xnews would try two or three times before it
    could access a post so it could be viewed. My solution for the moment was to
    reset the modem which as corrected the problem for now and the speed is
    back.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 18, 2004