DMZ *and* DHCP server?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2012.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    I want to change a network so that I can get DHCP allocated IP's from a
    new modem/router, and still route a "base" IP to a server, which then
    connects to another router/modem.

    The server has it's own DHCP, and also runs ISA Server (which is causing
    the connectivity problems with devices such as cellphones and tablets
    that have no way of running ISA client s/w).

    So like this...

    a) Cable modem
    ..
    ..
    b) (new) wireless modem/router - DMZ to server, small DHCP range for
    cellphones, tablets etc.
    ..
    ..
    c) DMZ IP to server via ethernet - server runs ISA Server, and from the
    server the 2nd NIC connects to a modem/router
    ..
    ..
    d) the modem/router from the server connects to the SBS Server client
    PC's via ethernet and wireless.

    So this is all setup as above, except for the introduction of b).

    Can I make this happen??? I have good granular control over DHCP IP's
    assigned by the server, and presumably I could run in the same subnet on
    the new b) modem and use a different range of IP's? Or could I use a
    different DHCP subnet on b) ???

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Dec 20, 2012

  2. Dave Doe

    EMB Guest

    bOn 20/12/2012 2:18 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > I want to change a network so that I can get DHCP allocated IP's from a
    > new modem/router, and still route a "base" IP to a server, which then
    > connects to another router/modem.
    >
    > The server has it's own DHCP, and also runs ISA Server (which is causing
    > the connectivity problems with devices such as cellphones and tablets
    > that have no way of running ISA client s/w).
    >
    > So like this...
    >
    > a) Cable modem
    > .
    > .
    > b) (new) wireless modem/router - DMZ to server, small DHCP range for
    > cellphones, tablets etc.
    > .
    > .
    > c) DMZ IP to server via ethernet - server runs ISA Server, and from the
    > server the 2nd NIC connects to a modem/router
    > .
    > .
    > d) the modem/router from the server connects to the SBS Server client
    > PC's via ethernet and wireless.
    >
    > So this is all setup as above, except for the introduction of b).
    >
    > Can I make this happen??? I have good granular control over DHCP IP's
    > assigned by the server, and presumably I could run in the same subnet on
    > the new b) modem and use a different range of IP's? Or could I use a
    > different DHCP subnet on b) ???

    The way I'm reading your post leads me to believe that what you're
    trying to do isn't going to work. How many Internet connections are
    going into this network?
    EMB, Dec 20, 2012

  3. can you setup SNAT in ISA so you don't need the ISA Firewall client
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 24, 2013