DMCA law steal your rights as a legal viewer and owner of a DVD movie

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by McF, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. McF

    McF Guest

    DMCA - Digital Millenium Copyright Act

    I just became aware [slow i may be, but not so slowly angered], Congress
    passed a bill (DMCA) for the best interest of the video industry. Granted
    they have their legitimate complaints regarding piracy of their movies [and
    audio for their partner companies as i understand it]. You will find in
    your more recent DVD movies a group of commercials (oh yeah, they call them
    movie previews... so what) that you can no longer skip. Forced to watching
    the 15 sec FCC WARNING was minor annoyance, but 15 sec. was reasonable.
    The previews are 8-10 min long.... you cant skip over them. If allowed to
    proceed they [speculation coming] may be able to prevent you from Fast
    Forwarding through them as well. Now I paid a reasonable price for my DVD
    ($15.99 for THE HULK) and am forced everytime to watch a load of crap
    commercials I wouldn't force on a death-row convict... well maybe, that is
    debatable. Now... how in the hell does this prevent piracy? How does this
    encourage legal purchases? Who do they think they are catering to? Who
    really cares to hear the answer to those questions? I simply want to see the
    movie i paid for.... NOW GODDAMMIT !!!

    Read the article on CNET's NEW website ==>>
    http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-866516.html
    and concider visiting a website trying to return your legal priviledges to
    you ==>> http://digitalconsumer.org/

    A reader on google suggested to walk away for 8-10 for a soda. I think they
    will simply add prompting during the commercials to get you to sit thru it.
    so i dont like this lame idea. ==>>
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=get around commercials on dvd&hl=en&lr=&ie
    =UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=20031029132921.14160.00000266%40mb-m29.aol.com&rnum=6
    oh... if you read a few postings in that thread, you will find a few
    dumbasses who advocate the DMCA policy.

    Until they get the idea this idea sucks, I encourage you to return your DVDs
    with this DMCA policy over and over and over until you get one without this
    crap until they get the message we dont deserve our rights taken away from
    us.

    McF, Oct 31, 2003

  2. McF

    Ze Bird Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:58:56 -0500, "McF" <> wrote:

    >DMCA - Digital Millenium Copyright Act
    >
    >I just became aware [slow i may be, but not so slowly angered], Congress
    >passed a bill (DMCA) for the best interest of the video industry. Granted
    >they have their legitimate complaints regarding piracy of their movies [and
    >audio for their partner companies as i understand it]. You will find in
    >your more recent DVD movies a group of commercials (oh yeah, they call them
    >movie previews... so what) that you can no longer skip. Forced to watching
    >the 15 sec FCC WARNING was minor annoyance, but 15 sec. was reasonable.
    >The previews are 8-10 min long.... you cant skip over them. If allowed to
    >proceed they [speculation coming] may be able to prevent you from Fast
    >Forwarding through them as well. Now I paid a reasonable price for my DVD
    >($15.99 for THE HULK) and am forced everytime to watch a load of crap
    >commercials I wouldn't force on a death-row convict... well maybe, that is
    >debatable. Now... how in the hell does this prevent piracy? How does this
    >encourage legal purchases? Who do they think they are catering to? Who
    >really cares to hear the answer to those questions? I simply want to see the
    >movie i paid for.... NOW GODDAMMIT !!!
    >
    >Read the article on CNET's NEW website ==>>
    >http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-866516.html
    > and concider visiting a website trying to return your legal priviledges to
    >you ==>> http://digitalconsumer.org/

    I don't have to watch the FCC message OR the previews. I have DVD players that skip all that crap and will
    play ANYTHING. They're not illegal, either, though some would like them to be. I paid for the machines and I
    buy the discs that play in them and that makes it ok. Check out A220-electronics and you'll see what I mean.

    The SpeedByrd :>

    Ze Bird, Oct 31, 2003

  3. McF

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:58:56 -0500, "McF" <> typed:

    >I simply want to see the
    >movie i paid for.... NOW GODDAMMIT !!!

    Here's another reason to keep allowing those useless commercial
    skipable: 5 years from now it would be dumb if someone saw the
    commercial and wonder why the movie "comming soon" was out of print
    already.

    I'm tempted to *really* pester Disney and find out why their advertised
    movies weren't released on the advertised day (when the year isn't
    mentioned)
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

    Impmon, Oct 31, 2003
  4. McF

    jayembee Guest

    "McF" <> wrote:

    > I just became aware [slow i may be, but not so slowly angered],
    > Congress passed a bill (DMCA) for the best interest of the
    > video industry. Granted they have their legitimate complaints
    > regarding piracy of their movies [and audio for their partner
    > companies as i understand it]. You will find in your more
    > recent DVD movies a group of commercials (oh yeah, they call
    > them movie previews... so what) that you can no longer skip.
    > Forced to watching the 15 sec FCC WARNING was minor annoyance,
    > but 15 sec. was reasonable. The previews are 8-10 min long....
    > you cant skip over them.

    Not with the "next chapter" button, no. But as stated in other
    threads, when the FBI warning first comes up, hit "stop", then
    "menu", and you'll go right to the menu.

    > Now... how in the hell does this prevent piracy?

    It doesn't. What makes you think it was intended to?

    > Read the article on CNET's NEW website ==>>
    > http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-866516.html

    [...]
    > Until they get the idea this idea sucks, I encourage you
    > to return your DVDs with this DMCA policy over and over
    > and over until you get one without this crap until they
    > get the message we dont deserve our rights taken away from
    > us.

    The unskippable ads is not a "DMCA policy", and has nothing
    to do with DMCA. You badly misread the CNET article. The
    unskippable ads is one of several things that inspired Joe
    Kraus to start his consumer rights movement. The DMCA is
    another. But that doesn't mean that unskippable ads == DMCA.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 31, 2003
  5. McF

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (jayembee) wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Now... how in the hell does this prevent piracy?

    > It doesn't. What makes you think it was intended to?

    I think his point is that it encourages piracy.

    If I owned a movie like the Hulk and found it had unskippable garbage
    on it the very first thing I would do is rip it so I could watch the
    movie whenever I wanted.

    Once you are encouraging people to rip stuff then sharing it is only a
    step away.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Nov 1, 2003
  6. McF

    McF Guest

    Yes... that is the biggest point. Thank You. DVD manufacturers may one day
    be ~encouraged~ by the DVD producers to make all the future players reject
    the MENU button during the play of the commercials. Again, that is
    speculation, but we've all seen the "give a foot, take a yard" cliche in
    action.

    McF, Nov 3, 2003
  7. McF

    JohnW248 Guest

    In article <>,
    (Jordan Lund) writes:

    >If I owned a movie like the Hulk and found it had unskippable garbage
    >on it the very first thing I would do is rip it so I could watch the
    >movie whenever I wanted.

    How many times do you watch a movie to make it worth the time and effort to do
    that?

    I have trouble sitting through a movie for a second commentary track let alone
    doing a rip of it.

    But if you're going to watch it three or four hundred times it might make a
    difference. That is also the possibility that you could just get someone to cue
    it up for you--some domestic partner or ???

    JohnW248, Nov 3, 2003
  8. McF

    Nero Wolfe Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:58:56 -0500, "McF" <> wrote:

    >DMCA - Digital Millenium Copyright Act
    >
    >I just became aware [slow i may be, but not so slowly angered], Congress
    >passed a bill (DMCA) for the best interest of the video industry. Granted
    >they have their legitimate complaints regarding piracy of their movies [and
    >audio for their partner companies as i understand it]. You will find in
    >your more recent DVD movies a group of commercials (oh yeah, they call them
    >movie previews... so what) that you can no longer skip. Forced to watching
    >the 15 sec FCC WARNING was minor annoyance, but 15 sec. was reasonable.
    >The previews are 8-10 min long.... you cant skip over them. If allowed to
    >proceed they [speculation coming] may be able to prevent you from Fast
    >Forwarding through them as well. Now I paid a reasonable price for my DVD
    >($15.99 for THE HULK) and am forced everytime to watch a load of crap
    >commercials I wouldn't force on a death-row convict... well maybe, that is
    >debatable. Now... how in the hell does this prevent piracy? How does this
    >encourage legal purchases? Who do they think they are catering to? Who
    >really cares to hear the answer to those questions? I simply want to see the
    >movie i paid for.... NOW GODDAMMIT !!!
    >
    >Read the article on CNET's NEW website ==>>
    >http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-866516.html
    > and concider visiting a website trying to return your legal priviledges to
    >you ==>> http://digitalconsumer.org/

    That's why some people use DVDShrink to copy the DVD and leave out all
    the crap!

    Nero Wolfe, Nov 4, 2003