    reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 16, 2004

  2. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:28:12 GMT, T-Vex <> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm running DVDiddle Pro and I want to enable DMA to clear my
    >stutter on some of my DVD playbacks. I enable it and system asks for a
    >reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?

    That can be caused by a resource conflict, uninstalling a network
    card, removing it and putting it back in a differernt slot and
    reinstalling might solve it, etc. But it would be good to know which
    O/S you're using, they're fundamentally different in how the drives
    are managed.

    ..Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 16, 2004

  3. T-Vex

    Biz Guest

    "T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm running DVDiddle Pro and I want to enable DMA to clear my
    > stutter on some of my DVD playbacks. I enable it and system asks for a
    > reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > T-Vex

    Make sure your drives, OS, and mobo support it 1st of all. Then make sure
    you have all the proper chipset drivers installed and functioning correctly
    for yor setup.
    Biz, Jul 16, 2004
  4. T-Vex

    Super PMD Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:28:12 GMT, T-Vex <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I'm running DVDiddle Pro and I want to enable DMA to clear my
    >>stutter on some of my DVD playbacks. I enable it and system asks for a
    >>reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?

    > That can be caused by a resource conflict, uninstalling a network
    > card, removing it and putting it back in a differernt slot and
    > reinstalling might solve it, etc. But it would be good to know which
    > O/S you're using, they're fundamentally different in how the drives
    > are managed.
    >
    > .Steve ..

    XP Pro, I have no network cards installed.

    --

    PMD
    Super PMD, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Super PMD wrote:

    > XP Pro, I have no network cards installed.

    Your could try deleting the ide entries and
    when you reboot XP will make clean new ones
    which might then take the dma setting.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Jul 16, 2004
  6. T-Vex

    Super PMD Guest

    Darrel Christenson wrote:

    > Super PMD wrote:
    >
    >> XP Pro, I have no network cards installed.

    > Your could try deleting the ide entries and
    > when you reboot XP will make clean new ones
    > which might then take the dma setting.
    >

    > drc :)

    Which idle entries?

    --

    PMD
    Super PMD, Jul 16, 2004
  7. T-Vex

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >> Your could try deleting the ide entries and
    >> when you reboot XP will make clean new ones
    >> which might then take the dma setting.

    > Which idle entries?

    IDE, not idle. Silly rabbit. :)

    Control Panel -> System. Go to Hardware tab, then Device Manager.
    Right-click and select Uninstall for any entries in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI
    controllers" section. Reboot, and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers for
    them. Once that's done, go back the the Device Manager and open up the
    Properties for each IDE Channel, then click on the Advanced Settings tab.
    Make sure the transfer mode for each Device is set to "DMA if available."

    Of course, this all assumes you're using IDE drives, not SCSI, but not many
    people use SCSI drives in a workstation.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Mike Jackson wrote:

    > IDE, not idle. Silly rabbit. :)

    Yeah, what he said. :D

    > Control Panel -> System. Go to Hardware tab, then Device Manager.
    > Right-click and select Uninstall for any entries in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI
    > controllers" section

    Or click on 'em and hit the Delete key.

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 16, 2004
  9. On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:00:05 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    <> wrote:

    >Mike Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> IDE, not idle. Silly rabbit. :)

    >Yeah, what he said. :D
    >
    >> Control Panel -> System. Go to Hardware tab, then Device Manager.
    >> Right-click and select Uninstall for any entries in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI
    >> controllers" section

    >Or click on 'em and hit the Delete key.
    >
    > > Reboot, and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers for
    >> them. Once that's done, go back the the Device Manager and open up the
    >> Properties for each IDE Channel, then click on the Advanced Settings tab.
    >> Make sure the transfer mode for each Device is set to "DMA if available."

    >drc :)

    >>>XP Pro, I have no network cards installed.

    What they both said, but I will reiterate my original remark, that if
    it sticks on PIO, and there is not an obvious documented
    incompatibilty beween the drive and MB, then indeed it can be a
    resource conflict. It doesn't have to be the network card, that's
    just an example, it can be ANY card and motherboard esources,
    particularly the dialup modem or video capture card. Try uninstalling
    the IDE drivers first, then if that doesn't work move one of the
    cards.

    ... Steve ...
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 16, 2004
  10. T-Vex

    T-Vex Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:00:05 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mike Jackson wrote:
    >>

    >>>IDE, not idle. Silly rabbit. :)

    >>Yeah, what he said. :D
    >>

    >>>Control Panel -> System. Go to Hardware tab, then Device Manager.
    >>>Right-click and select Uninstall for any entries in the "IDE ATA/ATAPI
    >>>controllers" section

    >>Or click on 'em and hit the Delete key.
    >>

    >>>Reboot, and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers for
    >>>them. Once that's done, go back the the Device Manager and open up the
    >>>Properties for each IDE Channel, then click on the Advanced Settings tab.
    >>>Make sure the transfer mode for each Device is set to "DMA if available."

    >>drc :)

    > What they both said, but I will reiterate my original remark, that if
    > it sticks on PIO, and there is not an obvious documented
    > incompatibilty beween the drive and MB, then indeed it can be a
    > resource conflict. It doesn't have to be the network card, that's
    > just an example, it can be ANY card and motherboard esources,
    > particularly the dialup modem or video capture card. Try uninstalling
    > the IDE drivers first, then if that doesn't work move one of the
    > cards.
    >
    > .. Steve ...

    Tried that no luck but it doesn't stick on PIO, Transfer Mode defaults
    to "DMA if available" and Current Transfer Mode defaults to "Muti-Word
    DMA Mode 2"

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 16, 2004
  11. >Hi, I'm running DVDiddle Pro and I want to enable DMA to clear my
    >stutter on some of my DVD playbacks. I enable it and system asks for a
    >reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?

    You have to make sure that your drive supports UDMA tranfers. Most, if not
    all, DVD-ROM drives should support this, though.

    Second, UDMA can only be reliably used if you have a UDMA 80-conductor IDE
    cable. Conventional 40-conductor IDE cables are unsuitable for UDMA transfers.
    The 80-conductor cable means that all data lines have their own ground lines,
    which makes possible faster data transfers since the signal path is cleaned up
    of any noise much more effectively.

    Third, in addition to activating the option on the operating system, you also
    have to have the UDMA option enabled in the BIOS settings of your motherboard.
    If UDMA is disabled in the BIOS, it may not activate in the operating system.

    Fourth, it is recommended that you have the correct and latest drivers for your
    motherboard, especially the IDE controllers.

    Fifth, make sure you do not have too many applications running at the same
    time. Also, certain applications, like Norton Utilities, can hinder
    performance as that program is a resource hog. Resources are important if you
    are using a DVD program that has a software-based DVD playback engine.

    For Norton, all I would use is their Anti-Virus and Internet Security, and use
    my stock Windows apps to scan and defrag the hard disk every week.

    Sixth, isolate the drives. Make the hard disk the primary master while you
    make the DVD-ROM drive the secondary master. If you have a second optical
    drive, like a CD-RW recorder, then make that the secondary slave to the
    DVD-ROM. This way, both DVD-ROM and the hard disk can stream at once as they
    would have their own dedicated channels, which would reduce the chance of
    skipping DVD playback in the event that the OS needs to read or write on the
    hard disk for something like, say, virtual memory. Slaving the DVD-ROM to the
    hard disk in an IDE/UDMA setup can hinder performance as only one device can be
    accessed at a time, unlike SCSI and SATA configurations.

    Seventh, it may also be possible that your drive could require a firmware
    upgrade. HOWEVER, perform the upgrade as a last resort. Firmware upgrading
    can be risky and if the upgrade is ever botched, the drive may be rendered
    inoperable with the only recourse to repair is to send the drive off to a
    service center with the proper tools to flash the EEPROM by itself.

    Hope this helps. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 16, 2004
  12. T-Vex

    T-Vex Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>Hi, I'm running DVDiddle Pro and I want to enable DMA to clear my
    >>stutter on some of my DVD playbacks. I enable it and system asks for a
    >>reboot, I reboot and it's still disabled. What can I do to enable it?

    > You have to make sure that your drive supports UDMA tranfers. Most, if not
    > all, DVD-ROM drives should support this, though.

    It's a new DL re-writer so should do.

    > Second, UDMA can only be reliably used if you have a UDMA 80-conductor IDE
    > cable. Conventional 40-conductor IDE cables are unsuitable for UDMA transfers.
    > The 80-conductor cable means that all data lines have their own ground lines,
    > which makes possible faster data transfers since the signal path is cleaned up
    > of any noise much more effectively.

    I can't be sure which cable I have.

    > Third, in addition to activating the option on the operating system, you also
    > have to have the UDMA option enabled in the BIOS settings of your motherboard.
    > If UDMA is disabled in the BIOS, it may not activate in the operating system.

    Did this, thank you, DMA is now enabled but the playback still stutters
    on some DVD's.

    > Fourth, it is recommended that you have the correct and latest drivers for your
    > motherboard, especially the IDE controllers.

    I need to investigate this further.

    > Fifth, make sure you do not have too many applications running at the same
    > time. Also, certain applications, like Norton Utilities, can hinder
    > performance as that program is a resource hog. Resources are important if you
    > are using a DVD program that has a software-based DVD playback engine.
    >
    > For Norton, all I would use is their Anti-Virus and Internet Security, and use
    > my stock Windows apps to scan and defrag the hard disk every week.

    Tried closing everything down but makes no difference to the stutter.

    > Sixth, isolate the drives. Make the hard disk the primary master while you
    > make the DVD-ROM drive the secondary master. If you have a second optical
    > drive, like a CD-RW recorder, then make that the secondary slave to the
    > DVD-ROM. This way, both DVD-ROM and the hard disk can stream at once as they
    > would have their own dedicated channels, which would reduce the chance of
    > skipping DVD playback in the event that the OS needs to read or write on the
    > hard disk for something like, say, virtual memory. Slaving the DVD-ROM to the
    > hard disk in an IDE/UDMA setup can hinder performance as only one device can be
    > accessed at a time, unlike SCSI and SATA configurations.

    My config is the same as you describe wihout the second CD ROM drive
    attached.

    > Seventh, it may also be possible that your drive could require a firmware
    > upgrade. HOWEVER, perform the upgrade as a last resort. Firmware upgrading
    > can be risky and if the upgrade is ever botched, the drive may be rendered
    > inoperable with the only recourse to repair is to send the drive off to a
    > service center with the proper tools to flash the EEPROM by itself.

    I doubt this, it's brand new. Do you think IDE HDD Block Mode enabled
    could make a difference? Thanks.

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 16, 2004
  13. T-Vex

    Biz Guest

    "T-Vex" <> wrote in message

    > It's a new DL re-writer so should do.

    OK, you've mentioned your OS(XP) and something about the writer(new DL). Is
    this a pretty new PC or something fairly old? Is it a P4, or old Pentium?
    Biz, Jul 16, 2004
  14. T-Vex

    T-Vex Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>It's a new DL re-writer so should do.
    >>

    > OK, you've mentioned your OS(XP) and something about the writer(new DL). Is
    > this a pretty new PC or something fairly old? Is it a P4, or old Pentium?

    The PC is not new but not ancient, 2yrs old AMD Athon 1.2GHz/512/80G Pro
    Savage KM133 Via Tech VT8365/K7VMA. The DVD is a Lite-On DVDRW
    SOHW-832-S. I'm looking to update my chipset but it's like a needle in a
    haystack and I'm a newbie to DVD. Thanks.

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 16, 2004
  15. T-Vex

    Biz Guest

    "T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    > Biz wrote:
    > > "T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>It's a new DL re-writer so should do.
    > >>

    > > OK, you've mentioned your OS(XP) and something about the writer(new DL).

    Is
    > > this a pretty new PC or something fairly old? Is it a P4, or old

    Pentium?

    > The PC is not new but not ancient, 2yrs old AMD Athon 1.2GHz/512/80G Pro
    > Savage KM133 Via

    VIA, there is your issue, just about guarenteed. Make sure you have fully
    functioning updated VIA chipset drivers for your system
    Biz, Jul 17, 2004
  16. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:22:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    >> Biz wrote:
    >> > "T-Vex" <> wrote in message

    >> > OK, you've mentioned your OS(XP) and something about the writer(new DL).

    >Is
    >> > this a pretty new PC or something fairly old? Is it a P4, or old

    >Pentium?
    >> >

    >> The PC is not new but not ancient, 2yrs old AMD Athon 1.2GHz/512/80G Pro
    >> Savage KM133 Via

    >VIA, there is your issue, just about guarenteed. Make sure you have fully
    >functioning updated VIA chipset drivers for your system

    Yup, that's it. I've yet to see a via chipset that will smoothly
    handle DVD playback, regardless of drivers. When it comes to
    multimedia the Via set was a definite left turn due to its restricted
    PCI bandwidth.

    ... Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 17, 2004
  17. T-Vex

    T-Vex Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "T-Vex" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Biz wrote:
    >>
    >>>"T-Vex" <> wrote in message

    >>>OK, you've mentioned your OS(XP) and something about the writer(new DL).

    > Is
    >
    >>>this a pretty new PC or something fairly old? Is it a P4, or old

    > Pentium?
    >

    >>The PC is not new but not ancient, 2yrs old AMD Athon 1.2GHz/512/80G Pro
    >>Savage KM133 Via

    > VIA, there is your issue, just about guarenteed. Make sure you have fully
    > functioning updated VIA chipset drivers for your system

    I've been all over their website for hours and can't see any update for
    my chip to download, can ayone advise? Tx in advance.

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 17, 2004
  18. T-Vex

    T-Vex Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:22:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"T-Vex" <> wrote in message

    >>Is

    >>Pentium?
    >>

    >>>The PC is not new but not ancient, 2yrs old AMD Athon 1.2GHz/512/80G Pro
    >>>Savage KM133 Via

    >>VIA, there is your issue, just about guarenteed. Make sure you have fully
    >>functioning updated VIA chipset drivers for your system
    >>

    > Yup, that's it. I've yet to see a via chipset that will smoothly
    > handle DVD playback, regardless of drivers. When it comes to
    > multimedia the Via set was a definite left turn due to its restricted
    > PCI bandwidth.
    >
    > .. Steve .

    So, it'll never work? Btw, copying works fine, jsut playback on some
    DVD's but not all, I have some will play fine.

    Yours worried..

    --

    T-Vex
    T-Vex, Jul 17, 2004
  19. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:

    > Yup, that's it. I've yet to see a via chipset that will smoothly
    > handle DVD playback, regardless of drivers. When it comes to
    > multimedia the Via set was a definite left turn due to its restricted
    > PCI bandwidth.

    I have the a VIA chipset and have yet to experience a
    single problem with dvd playback or burning.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Jul 17, 2004
  20. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:39:04 GMT, T-Vex <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:22:30 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"T-Vex" <> wrote in message

    >>>Is

    >>>Pentium?

    >>>VIA, there is your issue, just about guarenteed. Make sure you have fully
    >>>functioning updated VIA chipset drivers for your system
    >>>

    >> Yup, that's it. I've yet to see a via chipset that will smoothly
    >> handle DVD playback, regardless of drivers. When it comes to
    >> multimedia the Via set was a definite left turn due to its restricted
    >> PCI bandwidth.
    >>
    >> .. Steve .
    >>

    >So, it'll never work? Btw, copying works fine, jsut playback on some
    >DVD's but not all, I have some will play fine.
    >
    >Yours worried..

    A Via chipset with only a 1.2 Athlon is marginal. The performance
    seems to be like a PIII 350 as regards streaming media. A faster CPU
    would do it, or any other chipset. Newer software players have a
    better picture at the expense of more CPU power being neded. Even my
    PIII-1000 with PowerDVD5 uses over 80% CPU in fullscreen playback.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 17, 2004