DMA modes?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
    Properties show:
    Primary Master
    WD1200JB-7500CRAO
    Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    Enable write caching ticked
    Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
    Primary Slave
    Maxtor 6YP160PO
    Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    Enable write caching ticked
    Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
    Secondary Master
    _NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
    Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    Enable write caching greyed out
    Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
    Secondary Slave
    Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
    Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    Enable write caching greyed out
    Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
    Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
    Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of going
    to a lower mode, not higher.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Kenny

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in news:dn3nnt$c5v$:

    > Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
    > Properties show:
    > Primary Master
    > WD1200JB-7500CRAO
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching ticked
    > Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
    > Primary Slave
    > Maxtor 6YP160PO
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching ticked
    > Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
    > Secondary Master
    > _NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching greyed out
    > Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
    > Secondary Slave
    > Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching greyed out
    > Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
    > Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
    > Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of
    > going to a lower mode, not higher.

    The difference in DMA modes is due to the difference in the capabilities
    of each device. Your BIOS has selected the maximum speed, the highest DMA
    mode, for each device.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Kenny

    dadiOH Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?

    That is the capability (built in, unchangeable) of the particular drive.
    If you want higher you buy higher.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:04:52 -0000 If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then "Kenny" <> sent this :

    >Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
    >Properties show:
    >Primary Master
    >WD1200JB-7500CRAO
    >Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    >Enable write caching ticked
    >Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
    >Primary Slave
    >Maxtor 6YP160PO
    >Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    >Enable write caching ticked
    >Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
    >Secondary Master
    >_NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
    >Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    >Enable write caching greyed out
    >Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
    >Secondary Slave
    >Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
    >Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    >Enable write caching greyed out
    >Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
    >Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
    >Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of going
    >to a lower mode, not higher.

    As per other posts it's the maximum speed the drives support.
    Standard CD/CDR drivers are limited to Udma 2 Ultra33 speed.
    Newer DVDs Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
    Hard drives from Udma 33(Very old) upwards.
    Write caching on the Optical devices is disabled as they are not
    capable of it.This is different from read-ahead caching in the
    operating system.

    If you do a lot of CD to CD copying or DVD to CD copying it's best to
    have the optical drives on separate IDE ports to defeat,"Wait-states"
    while copying or if copying large image files have the hard drive
    being read from on a different IDE port to the CD/DVD drive that it's
    copying too for the same reason.

    To check that all supported DMA modes are in fact implemented in the
    operating system use the free small NeroInfoTool that comes with Nero
    Burning ROM or available from here,

    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

    Can be run from inside the .zip file and check it's Configuration Tab.

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Gigabyte m/b Nvidia Nforce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (V2.6)
    > Properties show:
    > Primary Master
    > WD1200JB-7500CRAO
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching ticked
    > Ultra DMA5 - Ultra100
    > Primary Slave
    > Maxtor 6YP160PO
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching ticked
    > Ultra DMA6 - Ultra133
    > Secondary Master
    > _NEC DVD_RW ND2500A
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching greyed out
    > Ultra DMA2 - Ultra33
    > Secondary Slave
    > Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD120
    > Let BIOS select transfer mode ticked
    > Enable write caching greyed out
    > Ultra DMA4 - Ultra66
    > Why the differences in DMA modes in both HDD and optical drives?
    > Unticking "Let BIOS select transfer mode" only gives me the option of
    > going to a lower mode, not higher.
    >
    > --
    > Kenny Cargill

    What, you thought your optical drives were as fast as your hard drives?
    They are slow devices, so obviously they don't need to waste money on
    circuitry to provide faster data transfer rates far beyond what the device
    can support.

    Guest, Dec 6, 2005