    have got broadband and during installation I left the modem on. Or is it one
    of the Microsoft updates? Any ideas?
    Thanks

    Molecule, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Molecule

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Molecule" <> wrote in message
    news:mzPjb.4596$...
    > I have been trying to understand where the DLLHOST.exe could have

    infected
    > my pc. I formatted the hd, reinstalled windows xp at least 5 time and the
    > f***** still shows up in the task manager. Although simple to eradicate

    ( I
    > lost the battle and just deleted the entries in system32 ) I was wondering
    > if I it could have come from the internet as soon as I installed windows.

    > have got broadband and during installation I left the modem on. Or is it

    one
    > of the Microsoft updates? Any ideas?
    > Thanks

    http://www.pchell.com/virus/welchia.shtml

    The worm is supposed to remove itself in 2004. Try changing your year.

    Alien Zord, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Molecule

    Harrison Guest

    DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
    Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
    a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
    run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
    rest of the patches.

    Harrison, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
    > Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
    > a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
    > run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
    > rest of the patches.

    This process was using nearly all the cpu power. The graph was fluctuating
    between 80% and 100 % everything slowed down to a crawl. It seems that only
    a dllhost.exe in lower cases is a legitimate. You end the process and the
    Ferrari sprint again.

    Molecule, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Molecule

    Harrison Guest

    Sounds valid.
    Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
    the bigga tima.

    Harrison, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Molecule

    Molecule Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds valid.
    > Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
    > the bigga tima.

    Si, va bene, ma non fare troppo la testolina. Ciao

    Molecule, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Molecule

    David Wood Guest

    if DLLHOST.EXE is in c:\winnt\system32\wins
    run the following from a command prompt:-

    net stop rpcpatch
    net stop rpctftpd
    attrib -r c:\winnt\system32\wins\DLLHOST.EXE
    del c:\winnt\system32\wins\DLLHOST.EXE
    attrib -r c:\winnt\system32\wins\SVCHOST.EXE
    del c:\winnt\system32\wins\SVCHOST.EXE

    Now make sure you have the latest patches incl. KB824146 otherwise you'll
    get infected again

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds valid.
    > Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
    > the bigga tima.
    >

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:42:58 +0100, "Molecule" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > >> DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
    > >> Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
    > >> a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
    > >> run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
    > >> rest of the patches.

    > >This process was using nearly all the cpu power. The graph was

    fluctuating
    > >between 80% and 100 % everything slowed down to a crawl. It seems that

    only
    > >a dllhost.exe in lower cases is a legitimate. You end the process and the
    > >Ferrari sprint again.

    ---

    David Wood, Oct 19, 2003