dll file?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stonebow Witham, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. How do I add a dll file to windows/system32 folder?
    Stonebow Witham, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Open a command prompt As Administrator, and copy. Note: System32 folder in
    64-bit Windows is ONLY for 64-bit files. 32-bit files go in the SYSWOW64
    folder.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Except when you know what it means. WOW is Windows on Windows. So
    SYSWOW64 it the interface between 32-bit and 64-bit on a 64-bit system.
    What's illogical about that?

    Wow32 since Win95 is the interface between 16-bit and 32-bit on a 32-bit
    system.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 23, 2010
  4. I'd have to agree with the OP, however, that "system32" as the home for
    64-bit system files is perhaps not particularly intuitive. ;) The SYSWOW64
    designation, however, makes perfect sense. And I know why they left system32
    alone, I just think they shouldn't have.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 23, 2010
  5. Stonebow Witham

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    The biggest such naming mistake, it seems to me, is the new "Program Files
    (x86)". Why couldn't they have created a "Program Files (x64)"? They could
    have left 32-bit apps in "Program Files" - in both 32-bit and 64-bit
    Windows. They could even have used BOTH "Program Files (x86)" and "Program
    Files (x64)". That would have made for longer 32-bit pathnames, but it
    would have been a lot less confusing - especially for us dual-booters who
    run both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows on a single computer.

    (I was glad to finally meet you at the Summit last week.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 24, 2010
  6. Yes, I agree, this was an unfortunate choice. But it's too late now, so we
    live with it.

    Good to finally meet you too. This was my 9th Summit (they had a three year
    stretch with only two Summits.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 24, 2010