    changing the file or use an older DLL from the original CD.

    What is the best practice for keeping the DLLs correct?
    Thanks.

    j, Dec 31, 2005

  2. j

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "j" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a good reference on this topic? Although the System File Checker
    > can flag issues with DLLs, it is not clear that one would want to mess
    > with
    > changing the file or use an older DLL from the original CD.
    >
    > What is the best practice for keeping the DLLs correct?

    That would be to stay out of DLL Hell and leave things alone unless you have
    a reason to be messing with one and you know what you're doing.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 31, 2005

  3. j

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, <>
    wrote:

    > Is there a good reference on this topic? Although the System File Checker
    > can flag issues with DLLs, it is not clear that one would want to mess with
    > changing the file or use an older DLL from the original CD.
    >
    > What is the best practice for keeping the DLLs correct?

    Like all other system files, you just leave them alone.
    Look at it this way -- you don't mess with ANYTHING on the system
    except the data files. Your own data files, like text and images and
    sounds and such, are the things you open and edit and change -- and
    EVERYTHING else, you assume are the organs your computer needs to work,
    and leave them alone.

    The best protection you can give them is to protect your system from
    "malware" like viruses and worms and trojans. Brace it with a firewall.
    And learn safe user habits, like not opening attachments without
    checking the filename extension and not loading HTML in e-mail.

    Mitch, Dec 31, 2005
  4. j wrote:

    > What is the best practice for keeping the DLLs correct?
    > Thanks.

    _Never_ do daily work as administrator, that will keep them safe and
    up-to-date. You know, you can "run as" with the shift-key pressed and just
    enter the admin credentials when you _really_ need?

    Happy New Year!
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 31, 2005
  5. j

    Plato Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > j wrote:
    > > What is the best practice for keeping the DLLs correct?

    Dont install shoddy ware.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 1, 2006
  6. j

    j Guest

    Hi Plato,

    I consider this a good point. If the software was written with poor quality
    assurance the new dll might get hosed as you indicate.

    Thanks.

    (How does Apple get around these issues?...I wonder.)

    j, Jan 1, 2006
  7. j

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "j" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Plato,
    >
    > I consider this a good point. If the software was written with poor
    > quality
    > assurance the new dll might get hosed as you indicate.

    Common DLL(s) used by various applications are not shoddy. The only thing
    that can happen is an older version of a common DLL could be installed by
    some 3rd party application that broke other applications that were using a
    specific function in that common DLL that is no longer there or is there but
    doesn't have the right interface other applications expect to interface with
    that DLL.

    3rd party software vendors who make DLL(s) that have specific functions for
    an application they have developed are not going to be making DLL(s) that
    break other applications only that application it works with.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 1, 2006
  8. j

    Plato Guest

    j wrote:

    > I consider this a good point. If the software was written with poor quality
    > assurance the new dll might get hosed as you indicate.
    >
    > (How does Apple get around these issues?...I wonder.)

    Way less apps written for apple, perhaps.

    Plato, Jan 2, 2006
  9. j

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, <>
    wrote:

    > I consider this a good point. If the software was written with poor quality
    > assurance the new dll might get hosed as you indicate.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > (How does Apple get around these issues?...I wonder.)

    Apple never let software publishers make changes to the actual system
    files. There is never any problem with different DLLs if you weren't
    allowed to alter the DLL that needed to be there in the first place.

    The worst I can recall dealing with under Mac OS was where an
    application tried to call an extension that conflicted with another
    third-party extension. It often took several steps to discover which
    pair were in conflict, and if no new version was available, set the
    system up to load in two different ways.

    Another simple example was a game installer that didn't follow Apple's
    versions-checking step, and installed QuickTime even if a newer version
    was already installed. At the time (1994-ish), the system didn't
    protect the System Folder, so the next startup would give a QT
    conflicting version error. Solving it was a simple matter of removing
    the two or three older files, since everyone knew where QT extensions
    were. Or installing the newer QT again, which would delete older parts.

    Mitch, Jan 2, 2006