DLink Wireless Pre-N USB adapter causes o/s to skip/stutter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JB, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    I have a DLink 625 Pre-N router and after installing the driver for the

    Dlink DWA142 USB Rangebooster N adapter, I experience regular
    "skipping" in audio, programs and gameplay. It is as if the
    operating system is stopping for a split second, then running for a
    split second, then stopping, etc for 3-5 seconds. After that,
    everything is normal, then is happens very regularly, maybe once every
    1-2 minutes. This happens while any program is running. I know it's
    the driver for this adapter because I also have a AipPlus Extreme G USB

    adapter that works flawlessly. I've gone back to that until I can
    figure out what's wrong with this N driver. The router I have is also
    a Rangebooster N Router (DIR625). My system is an Athlon 2900 with 1
    Gig Ram/ATI Radeon 9550 graphic card. Windows XP SP2 with all security

    and o/s updates.

    I tested this setup on three different systems, the one above, an Asus
    motherboard with an Athlon 64 Dual Core CPU/ Geoforce 7950 512meg video

    card, and a Biostar motherboard with an Intel Celeron chip and an ATI
    All in Wonder Graphics card. This happened on all systems.

    After 6 hours with DLink tech support level one and two, they gave up
    and told me to send an official request for a tech to investigate the
    problem. Wonderful, there is no precedent.

    I bought a Belkin Pre-N router and adapter card to see if it was the
    software and experienced similar problems with that also. Slightly
    longer between skips, maybe 1/2 sec instead of split second skipping.

    So now I think it's just the wireless software in general that is
    causing the problem and it seems it's provided by Atheros in both
    Belkin and DLink adapters.

    Has anyone else experienced this? I would have to believe it is an
    issue other places. I think the odds of this happening on three
    different (and clean-no other software installed) systems is not likely.
    JB, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Hi
    I doubt that this has to do with your core computer hardware or Windows.
    Make sure that you are not running Windows Zero Configuration and the
    original D-Link software utility, at the same time. You have to make a
    choice to use only one of them. (http://www.ezlan.net.wireless.html)
    In addition make sure that you Router's SSID is broadcasting, and that the
    power saving feature of the Network card is Off.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 28, 2006

  3. JB

    Guest

    Re: D-Link causing digital noise in audio

    On Feb 14, 5:10 pm, Steven wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I read your post, which confirmed my suspicions about my own DWA-142. Ever since I upgraded to 802.11n (including that adapter) then my audio has experienced the exact symptoms that you describe. I've used two different sound cards (including a fairly high-end Audigy 2 card) and different playback programs. Disabling the device in my system did make the problem go away.
    >
    > So...I suppose we just have to wait for updated drivers?
    >
    > Any progress on your end?
    >
    > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Hey there,

    I am having a similar problem. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate
    and when I use Media Center and have my DWA142 plugged in Media Center
    tends to skip fairly frequently. If i unplug it Media Center is
    fine. The card works fine to transfer file and surf the web. I am
    using the XP driver in Vista currently. I was just on the DLINK FTP
    site and there was a driver released today. I am not sure if it is a
    Vista driver or not, but I am going to give it a try and will let you
    know.

    Here is a link to the drivers:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa142/Drivers

    Will keep you posted.
    Thanks.
    , Feb 15, 2007
  4. JB

    Gordon Guest

    Re: Same problem

    <Tolej> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi there. I have DWA-142 CLASS A also. having same problem.

    Same problem as WHAT?

    Please note:
    This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
    Eggheadcafe - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You
    will get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to
    these groups directly, rather than through Eggheadcafe.

    If you must stay with Egghheadcafe then please follow Usenet custom by
    quoting the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread.

    Thank you.
    Gordon, Feb 27, 2007
  5. JB

    Becca Guest

    Re: Ditto

    I am also experiencing the same problem. But my adapter is the dwa-142
    (not sure if its pre-n or not, but it is N nonetheless.). I've heard
    around the way that using other drivers (not supplied for dlink
    products) fixes the problem? Can anyone confirm this?

    Becca, Apr 15, 2007
  6. JB

    Becca Guest

    Re: Ditto

    My name is not Becca!

    Becca, Apr 15, 2007
  7. JB

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Ditto

    what problem? please repost all details, Starting a thread like this
    that points to someplace unknown for a different thread does not
    supply any info.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP