    wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.
    Trevor Livingston, May 11, 2006

  2. Trevor Livingston skrev:
    > Using a DLINK 524 router my download speed is about 1/4 of what it is
    > plugged straight into the cable modem. This is whether running
    > wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Those routers are not always as fast as they claim to be. If speed is
    important, I suggest you get a more expensive router, preferrably a
    Cisco one. Maybe a linksys.
    Roger Jansson, May 11, 2006

  3. Trevor Livingston wrote:
    > Using a DLINK 524 router my download speed is about 1/4 of what it is
    > plugged straight into the cable modem. This is whether running
    > wirelessly or through and ethernet cable.

    Sometimes updating the firmware will fix stubborn problems, but if you
    can still exchange it where you bought it, I'd give that a shot. And the
    guy who recommends a Cisco router apparently has more money than sense.
    Linksys is better than DLink and is a division of Cisco. But I've used
    no-name el cheapo routers that have worked fine for years. For home use,
    there's no need to plunk down major change for an industrial duty router.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 11, 2006
  4. Yeah - I figured it was simply a POS. However, it is odd for a router
    to have such a large drop in speed. I've never experienced it before.
    Also, I am not on a high speed connection. It's 128k and I squeeze only
    about 30k out of it (when lucky). If I plug straight in, everything is
    fine. Odd.
    Trevor Livingston, May 11, 2006
  5. Trevor  Livingston

    why? Guest

    On 11 May 2006 03:28:14 -0700, Trevor Livingston wrote:

    >Yeah - I figured it was simply a POS. However, it is odd for a router

    Ah well , what to do the the Cisco 2651 sitting here :)

    >to have such a large drop in speed. I've never experienced it before.

    It's an OTT suggestion, however using a Netgear RT314 (runs at
    10Mbps/Half Duplex on the WAN port) on a 10Mbps cable connection is max
    6.72Mbps. Swap that out for a Belkin F5D7230-4 and IIRC (in past posts)
    it's about 8-9Mbps.

    I might be interesting to try again just now.

    >Also, I am not on a high speed connection. It's 128k and I squeeze only
    >about 30k out of it (when lucky). If I plug straight in, everything is
    >fine. Odd.

    As I said to the guy at work the expensive Cisco 3750 Gb switch runs at
    Gb speed, the 5 D-Link's they bought (I told then wouldn't) bought.

    Me
    why?, May 11, 2006