    Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card) and
    Boingo but both give me the same problems.

    Any suggestions?
    Display Name Here, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Display Name Here

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Have you thought about setting up the second access point as an access point
    rather than a repeater? A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
    half because it has to retransmit everything it does. I thought about a
    repeater for my setup, but decided that a second access point was the way to
    go. It has worked well and I can roam between locations with my laptop
    without being disconnected.

    Just be sure to setup each access point with identical settings (same
    encryption scheme, etc.). The differences will be of course that each
    access point will need its own unique IP address so it can be configured.
    You also want to use a different channel for each. When I setup my Linksys
    access points, the documentation said to use the same channel number. It
    worked doing that, but everyone else has said that too will limit bandwidth
    because of interference. Therefore, I used a different channel and
    everything is working well. When selecting channels, use 1, 6, or 11. If
    you use channel 1 for one access point, use either 6 or 11 for the other
    access point. These channels do not overlap with each other. I will not go
    into the explanation here about overlap as you can search google and find
    that out.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Display Name Here

    Jeff Durham Guest

    One other thing -- make sure the SSIDs on each access point are the same.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Display Name Here

    Old Boy Guest

    FYI

    The firmware 1.03 does not work in repeater mode, DLINK recommends
    downgrading to 1.02 until the problem is fixed.

    Cheers

    Old Boy, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Display Name Here

    Joe Dow Guest

    A repeater will cut your available bandwidth in
    > half because it has to retransmit everything it does.

    Can you explain this in more detail please?
    Joe Dow, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Display Name Here

    swales Guest

    The DWL-2100 will work in repeater mode. But there are a few tricks.
    have mine working with firmware 1.03. Have not tried the 2.0 yet.. bu
    hear it works well.

    The trick for me was with the client. For some reason I have to set m
    client (Intel Pro 2100) to use a Mandatory AP and put in the repeater
    MAC. So I have 2 profiles in my client. One goes to the main AP an
    the other goes to the repeater. The repeater one is set for
    Mandatory AP with the repeaters MAC. It now works.

    Also be sure you have SSID broadcast turned on in the main AP (624) an
    make sure you enter the SSID in the repeater. Some say you do not hav
    to... but I found that if it does not have the SSID entered th
    auto-switch between main AP and repeater does not work.

    Display Name Here wrote:
    > *Hi, I've got a DLINK DI624 as my AP and I'm trying to extend m
    > range with a
    > DWL210AP setup in repeater mode.
    >
    > The 2100AP is properly setup as a repeater and it takes on the SSI
    > of the
    > 624.
    >
    > The problem is that I cannot connect through the 2100AP, only th
    > 624.
    >
    > I can connect to the network as long as I am in range of the 624. A
    > soon
    > as I am out of range, the 2100AP still shows up on my networ
    > connections
    > with 3-4 bars strength but I get the message "cannot connect to .."
    > the
    > 2100AP.
    >
    > Tech support suggested using a different connection manager othe
    > than
    > Window's connection manager. I've tried the Intel (comes with card
    > and
    > Boingo but both give me the same problems.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    -
    swale
    swales, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Display Name Here

    Golftdi130

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    DWL-2100AP (Repeater Issues)

    Hey All

    You might of heard some of the things im about to tell you but rather me reading through and trying to see what i need to write and dont here is all.

    To set up a successful repeater you need to make sure the following

    Make sure the SSID are the same

    Make sure the Encryption are both the same as if you think about it, If you set up a repeater and you main Internet box has enccryption and you DWL-2100AP doesen't it wont work cause the main fact there not talking to eachother.

    Make sure your internet box wireless channel is set to the same as the DWL-2100ap

    If you change anything on either DWL-2100 or Internet Box you HAVE to change the setting on the other box for example if you hide the SSID on the DWL-2100 and not your internet they wont talk which means repeater wont work.

    This is silly as well you need to have your repeater plugged in to your existing network.

    Any Questions i will do my best to answer.

    Thanks

    Mat
    Golftdi130, Feb 5, 2008