DLink di-524 Wireless Router and Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Greg, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Connected one of these to my desktop last night. I have a simple dial up
    internet access right now. But I wanted to be able to use internet sharing
    on the desktop. I have a laptop with wireless g. I can see the desktop and
    transfer files back and forth. But I can't see the internet connection that
    I'm sharing. I had a linksys router before this. And if I right clicked on
    network settings on the laptop I could see my dial up service (had the same
    name as what I gave it on the desktop). Now I get a icon that says "Internet
    Connection" or something along that line in my network properties on the
    laptop. When I dial the ISP and do connect I get the same icon in my network
    settings on the desktop. Internet Connection icon. And I can't jump out on
    the web. Even though I'm connected on the web via the desktop. Do I need to
    turn the DHCP off on the router? I'm also getting a IP conflict. The
    internet sharing gives the network adapter an IP address that is the same as
    the lan IP on the dlink router. So I changed the IP address on the router
    (from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1) I can't think of what else to do. I don't
    recall disabling the DHCP on the linksys router I had. It worked okay. I
    just wanted to take advantage of the 802.11g that my notebook has. The
    linksys only had 802.11b. Maybe assign an IP address to the wireless on my
    notebook? I didn't have to do this before with the linksys. So I'm totally
    confused.

    Greg, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Greg

    Jack Guest