    switch, so getting another router seems a bit of an exercise in
    futility.

    cheers, -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just by chance I saw Ihug is giving away free connection and modem if
    > you commit to buynig 12 months of bliink - checked my line and to my
    > great surprise it turns out we can have it now. ADSL has arrived in the
    > Hokianga!
    >
    > Anyway, I rashly went and subscribed (won't pay more than for Ultra)
    > and signed for the free D-link 200 [something] USB ADSL modem since I
    > read Bad Things about the D-link router.
    >
    > Question: with Wingate, will I be able to still share this connection
    > across the network? Any experience out there? I reckon if the ADSL shows
    > up as a network connection then I should be able to do so.
    >
    > Or do you really *need* a router? I already have a very nice 3com
    > switch, so getting another router seems a bit of an exercise in
    > futility.

    I have the same setup on the same service.
    The modem plugs into a USB port on the main PC..
    I have a ethernet crossover cable connecting the main PC to a second PC.
    Both PCs are able to access the net and each other's folders and files after
    setting up local networking correctly.
    I can power the 2nd PC on and off whenever I wish with no hiccups.
    Beeeeeeeeautiful mate, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful.
    ..
    KiwiBrian, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:14:21 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Beeeeeeeeautiful mate, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful.

    Fix Or Repair Daily eh?
    Gordon, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:34:26 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Question: with Wingate, will I be able to still share this connection
    > across the network? Any experience out there? I reckon if the ADSL shows
    > up as a network connection then I should be able to do so.

    Yes. Windows Internet Connection sharing will do that.

    Real easy, esp. on XP.

    Would not have reccomended a USB adsl modem however. Often painful. An
    ethernet one would have been better. Also, with USB ones you have to have
    the computer it is connected to ON before the OTHER computer can access the
    net. With ethernet ones you do not need to.

    DSE has one that does all that, with an ethernet hub in it for $148 at the
    moment.

    No worries though. You'll do fine.

    --

    .... Brendan

    329409 +(3624)- [X]

    <benja> A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question
    asked was:"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the
    food shortage in the rest of the world?"
    <benja> The survey was a huge failure...
    <benja> In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.
    <benja> In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.
    <benja> In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.
    <benja> In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.
    <benja> In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.
    <benja> In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.
    <benja> And in the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant

    Note: All my comments are copyright 18/06/2005 4:24:13 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 18, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Yes. Windows Internet Connection sharing will do that.
    >
    > Real easy, esp. on XP.
    >
    > Would not have reccomended a USB adsl modem however. Often painful. An
    > ethernet one would have been better. Also, with USB ones you have to have
    > the computer it is connected to ON before the OTHER computer can access the
    > net. With ethernet ones you do not need to.
    >
    > DSE has one that does all that, with an ethernet hub in it for $148 at the
    > moment.
    >
    > No worries though. You'll do fine.

    Hope the usb modem doesn't get too painful :) but it was free - I'd;ve
    had to pay towards the router and in that case I wouldn't have gone for
    the D-link, but for a 3com - which Ihug don't have on offer.
    There were some security concerns raised about the admin on the D-link
    reverting to default values after a reset ... I thought that'd be a
    moderately major worry.

    I may eventually get a router anyway, for the time being I am still
    waiting to see if Telecom will hook me up at all.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:19:03 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Hope the usb modem doesn't get too painful :) but it was free - I'd;ve
    > had to pay towards the router and in that case I wouldn't have gone for
    > the D-link, but for a 3com - which Ihug don't have on offer.

    Yeah, true, but they can be had for as little as $60 odd new, and now
    you're locked into 12 months of ihug.

    Not running you down or raining on your parade or anything, just not
    something *I* would have done. Esp. given the shit performance of the ISP's
    lately, who seem to take turns at being worst.

    Orcon (my ISP) took a decades worth of turns and had them all at once I
    think :)

    > There were some security concerns raised about the admin on the D-link
    > reverting to default values after a reset ... I thought that'd be a
    > moderately major worry.

    Yeah, wouldn't know about the d-link. Have used a previous model of that
    DSE one though, and it seemed ok.

    Good luck. You'll have few probs I reckon, and it's not as if you can't get
    a router later if it proves necessary.

    --

    .... Brendan

    4753 +(8125)- [X]

    <xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should
    be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/06/2005 2:13:03 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 18, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    says...

    > Not running you down or raining on your parade or anything, just not
    > something *I* would have done. Esp. given the shit performance of the ISP's
    > lately, who seem to take turns at being worst.
    >
    > Orcon (my ISP) took a decades worth of turns and had them all at once I
    > think :)

    Well, the whole thing just became moot since Telecom's contractors rang
    this morning to let me know I will not be connected since the cabinet
    I'm on isn't enabled after all. And won't be, in the forseeable future.

    I know what you mean about being locked in - then again, if I butted out
    all I'd have to do is to refund the $99 I would've had to pay otherwise
    in the first place, so I look at it as an interest free loan that turns
    into a grant after 12 months <grin>. Alas, won't happen any-bloody-how.

    cheers, -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jun 18, 2005
  8. Peter Huebner

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:32:57 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Not running you down or raining on your parade or anything, just not
    >> something *I* would have done. Esp. given the shit performance of the ISP's
    >> lately, who seem to take turns at being worst.
    >>
    >> Orcon (my ISP) took a decades worth of turns and had them all at once I
    >> think :)

    > Well, the whole thing just became moot since Telecom's contractors rang
    > this morning to let me know I will not be connected since the cabinet
    > I'm on isn't enabled after all. And won't be, in the forseeable future.
    >
    > I know what you mean about being locked in - then again, if I butted out
    > all I'd have to do is to refund the $99 I would've had to pay otherwise
    > in the first place, so I look at it as an interest free loan that turns
    > into a grant after 12 months <grin>. Alas, won't happen any-bloody-how.

    oh well. You could use one of the many alternatives we have in the vibrant
    and competitive telecommunications sector.

    (note the heavy sarcasm. I was channeling Teresa Gatung).

    --

    .... Brendan

    400459 +(3870)- [X]

    <Sonium> someone speak python here?