    out?

    Looks like that copy protection was for naught. If anyone can hear a
    song...they can copy it.

    steve, Jun 6, 2005

  2. steve

    Marek Guest

    What's a program that you can make MP3's out of radio streams with?
    Windows version...

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Read today that filesharing folks are copying songs off the radio and

    making
    > mp3s....and then sharing them.
    >
    > Wasn't this predicted right here in nz.comp back when copy-protect CDs

    came

    Marek, Jun 6, 2005

  3. steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Read today that filesharing folks are copying songs off the radio and making
    > mp3s....and then sharing them.
    >
    > Wasn't this predicted right here in nz.comp back when copy-protect CDs came
    > out?
    >
    > Looks like that copy protection was for naught. If anyone can hear a
    > song...they can copy it.

    Hey, I'm a filesharing folk - I usually have Azureus running and there
    is an awful lot of legal content available for sharing - more than I can
    keep up with. I can't see why anyone would bother sharing stuff off the
    radio. It's a very small selection, and it's crap. And that's the stuff
    that is copy protected!

    Anyway, it's a lot more complex than that - are you (or the article)
    referring to capturing tuner output or to streaming radio?

    If the former, that technology has been practical on PCs for years, but
    what an incredible amount of work for very mediocre quality mp3 files, I
    seriously doubt that is ever going to be a real threat in terms of
    uptake. I have recordings from radioactive going back years (2000 -
    using some utilities and bash scripts I hacked together), they are still
    on my fileserver. I don't share them with anyone. Files are generally 2
    hours long - nobody is ever going to slice them into a format acceptable
    for p2p (ie, individual songs).

    If streams, then it is easily within the capability of the broadcaster
    to corrupt the metdata in such a way as to make recording just too much
    hassle, in fact I'm pretty sure di.fm already does this. I think
    radioactive get around it in another way - their stream quality is just
    crap. I actually find it unlistenable. Not sure if they stream metadata
    or not, the quality is so bad it isn't worth capturing anyway.

    Being able to hear a song doesn't mean it is worth the trouble of
    copying it; people are used to one click, no fuss timeshifting.

    As far as di.fm is concerned, a lot (say, 50%) of the content is
    available for download anyway - the artists often have websites and host
    ..torrents to share the goodness :)

    -=rjh=-, Jun 6, 2005
  4. steve

    Richard Guest

    Marek wrote:
    > What's a program that you can make MP3's out of radio streams with?
    > Windows version...

    Sound recorder - comes with windows

    But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm stations
    cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what was on the cd
    they played.

    Richard, Jun 7, 2005
  5. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:20:13 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    > stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    > was on the cd they played.

    They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    drives these days?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 7, 2005
  6. AD. wrote:
    >>But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >>stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >>was on the cd they played.

    > They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    > drives these days?

    I'd be very surprised if it was done on CD... that'd be really backward.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 7, 2005
  7. steve

    Richard Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:20:13 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >

    >>But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >>stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >>was on the cd they played.

    > They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    > drives these days?

    They play CDs on george and B, thats the only radio I listen to.

    Richard, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Richard wrote:
    >>> But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >>> stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >>> was on the cd they played.

    >> They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    >> drives these days?

    > They play CDs on george and B, thats the only radio I listen to.

    George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power
    and as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's
    quite cool really.

    Whats B?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 7, 2005
  9. steve

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Richard wrote:

    > George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power
    > and as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's
    > quite cool really.

    George most definatly are a full power station, infact without an outside aerial
    it was one of the few stations I could get full quietining on in stereo here

    Bfm is the uni station, but they have some good shit on it frequently.

    Richard, Jun 7, 2005
  10. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:53:50 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power and
    > as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's quite
    > cool really.
    >
    > Whats B?

    bFM? I dunno - I'm not from Auckland :)

    Sure the less robotically programmed stations will let their DJs play CDs
    they've brought in - but that's getting relatively rare these days
    (unfortunately).

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 7, 2005
  11. steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:53:50 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power and
    >>as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's quite
    >>cool really.
    >>
    >>Whats B?

    > bFM? I dunno - I'm not from Auckland :)
    >
    > Sure the less robotically programmed stations will let their DJs play CDs
    > they've brought in - but that's getting relatively rare these days
    > (unfortunately).

    Radioactive lets their DJs even play mp3s downloaded of the net, a few
    weeks ago they were playing music from thinnerism.com

    That is unusual, though - there are local retailers to support.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 7, 2005
  12. steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Marek wrote:
    >
    >> What's a program that you can make MP3's out of radio streams with?
    >> Windows version...

    > Sound recorder - comes with windows
    >
    > But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    > stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    > was on the cd they played.

    Yuk! At least, for Windows, use the free Audacity.

    Steinberg Clean 4.0 was featured on the November issue of APC, I have
    used this for cassette and vinyl format shifting, and it is pretty good.
    Need to use a separate utility (DBPowerAmp or similar) to convert to
    mp3, though.

    If you want realtime mp3 conversion try StepVoice recorder
    (http://www.stepvoice.com)

    Also try LP Recorder
    (http://www.cfbsoftware.com/lprecorder/lprecorder.htm)

    I'm pretty sure there is also a freeware audio->mp3 line in recorder,
    but I can't find any sign of it on my system here.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 7, 2005
  13. steve

    AD. Guest

    Yeah, I was thinking of Active when I wrote that :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 7, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power
    >and as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's
    >quite cool really.

    If that's the case, they're so low-power that their Hamilton frequency
    actually got hijacked by another station a couple of weeks back. Luckily
    they came back a few days later.

    The Hamilton transmitter isn't even stereo. Sometimes I think they don't
    worry too much about maintaining a potential audience outside Auckland...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >AD. wrote:
    >>>But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >>>stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >>>was on the cd they played.

    >> They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    >> drives these days?

    >I'd be very surprised if it was done on CD... that'd be really backward.

    Unless it was MP3s on CD, not Audio CD.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  16. steve

    shannon Guest

    Marek wrote:

    > What's a program that you can make MP3's out of radio streams with?
    > Windows version...

    stationripper
    http://www.stationripper.com/

    shannon, Jun 7, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:20:13 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >> stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >> was on the cd they played.

    >They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    >drives these days?

    I remember being told by a friend a few years ago that most radio DJs
    get paid so little (they're just pleased to have the chance to be heard
    on air) that it was hardly worth trying to save the labour costs by
    bringing in hard-drive-based playback.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  18. steve

    shannon Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:20:13 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >>

    >>>But the resultant files will be aweful considering most of the pop fm
    >>>stations cant even seem to get a signal out that remotly resembles what
    >>>was on the cd they played.

    >>They play CDs? I thought it was all lossily compressed stuff off hard
    >>drives these days?

    > I remember being told by a friend a few years ago that most radio DJs
    > get paid so little (they're just pleased to have the chance to be heard
    > on air) that it was hardly worth trying to save the labour costs by
    > bringing in hard-drive-based playback.

    Its got nothing to do with paying the monkey, the tunes have to be
    logged, so do all the ads and ripping them for pc playback attaches all
    the required info.
    All the TRN and Radioworks stations use pc based systems

    shannon, Jun 7, 2005
  19. steve

    shannon Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>George is different to the other stations... they are ultra low power
    >>and as such are not considered to be broadcasters from memory... it's
    >>quite cool really.

    > If that's the case, they're so low-power that their Hamilton frequency
    > actually got hijacked by another station a couple of weeks back. Luckily
    > they came back a few days later.
    >
    > The Hamilton transmitter isn't even stereo. Sometimes I think they don't
    > worry too much about maintaining a potential audience outside Auckland...

    George FM has a spectrum licence for 96.8 in Auckland, but uses
    community lpfm GUL licences in the power restricted guardband
    frequencies elsewhere.

    Ministry of Commerce isn't too happy IIRC about network broadcasters
    using the lpfm slots, so that may change

    shannon, Jun 7, 2005
  20. steve

    steve Guest

    Marek wrote:

    > What's a program that you can make MP3's out of radio streams with?
    > Windows version...

    Record from stereo connected to soundcard 'Line-in' as a WAV file, if
    necessary and then convert to MP3......

    steve, Jun 7, 2005