    Just curious.
    TIA.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Champagne Charlie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1E1nf.35877$,
    Champagne Charlie spewed forth:
    > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when
    > building my own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones,
    > but I wondered if there is any way of actually building my own
    > laptop/notebook. Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get
    > parts to do this?
    > Just curious.
    > TIA.
    > C.C.

    Har har har...

    How's your engineering and manufacturing skills? You're not going to find
    any "off the shelf" laptop mainboards, cases, displays etc. Each component
    developed for a laptop is designed to integrate with the other components
    for that unit (or 'family' unit). Even getting an older unit off eBay isn't
    practical, since significant upgrades are not available.

    Your best bet is to go to IBM, Compaq, HP, Dell, etc., and find the custom
    configuration utilities.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2005

  3. Champagne Charlie

    Bob Jones Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
    > own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
    > there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    > Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
    > Just curious.
    > TIA.
    > C.C.

    Ebuyer do aopen barebones laptops-

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=81309

    Bob Jones, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Champagne Charlie

    Mitch Guest

    In article <1E1nf.35877$>, Champagne
    Charlie <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
    > own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
    > there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    > Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?

    You're way off base -- and being more than a little insulting to the
    engineers of laptops.
    Laptops are a great example of people working hard to take advantage of
    space. In most laptop models, there are few standardized parts. In
    fact, the RAM cards and hard drive may be the only things with a common
    size.

    Everything else is not just sized specifically for laptops, but often
    for each specific laptop series or model. Small enough is one thing --
    making them all fit together with many other parts is a whole new game.
    Then there are issue of heat dissipation, electrical fields, soft parts
    like cables, and planning for easy access and removal of components.
    The puzzle is quite a bit more complex than just connecting parts
    together; it is also about keeping the corner of one card away from the
    sides of two others, or making sure the piece is lower in the case so
    it can be removed from underneath.

    I have seen a laptop that was essentially a very very customizable set
    of components (for vertical customers), but it wouldn't be anything
    like as compact as modern laptops.

    Mitch, Dec 11, 2005
  5. Champagne Charlie

    Morgi3 Guest

    Hi C.C,

    I think the other guys have answered the first part of your question.
    Are you in the UK? If so there are alternatives to the big brands
    which can save a penny or two and not necessarily sacrifice quality.
    I'm quite a fan of Novatech.co.uk, check their notebook ranges at...
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbranges.html

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Morgi3, Dec 12, 2005
  6. Champagne Charlie

    EricP Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:21:49 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
    <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
    >own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
    >there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    >Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
    >Just curious.
    >TIA.
    >C.C.

    Only way you can do a laptop is to buy busted ones for bits and try to
    assemble one, using new bits where you can.

    EricP, Dec 12, 2005
  7. Champagne Charlie

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-11, Champagne Charlie <> wrote:

    > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
    > own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
    > there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    > Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
    > Just curious.
    > TIA.
    > C.C.

    If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell one-piece
    cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and just want something
    compact, low-power-consumption, and easily portable, you could build a
    'small form factor' PC. It probably won't have its own built-in
    batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and pointing device, would be
    seperate bits not all in one case, but for many purposes that could be a
    positive advantage. There are several 'SFF' cases on the market, and
    suitable motherboards with built-in audio, video, and ethernet, that can
    take standard RAM cards and PCI cards. Some people prefer to put their PC
    innards inside improbable containers, such as defunct radio sets or
    motor-cycle crash helmets or footballs or ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 12, 2005
  8. Champagne Charlie

    Todd H. Guest

    "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> writes:
    > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune when building my
    > own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondered if
    > there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    > Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to do this?
    > Just curious.
    > TIA.
    > C.C.

    Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
    Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
    library may have it.

    http://www.computerpoweruser.com/

    You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
    especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Dec 12, 2005
  9. "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell one-piece
    > cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and just want something
    > compact, low-power-consumption, and easily portable, you could build a
    > 'small form factor' PC. It probably won't have its own built-in
    > batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and pointing device, would be
    > seperate bits not all in one case, but for many purposes that could be a
    > positive advantage. There are several 'SFF' cases on the market, and
    > suitable motherboards with built-in audio, video, and ethernet, that can
    > take standard RAM cards and PCI cards. Some people prefer to put their PC
    > innards inside improbable containers, such as defunct radio sets or
    > motor-cycle crash helmets or footballs or ...
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    That's a great idea as space was the reason for my wondering about this
    option.
    I am looking into things, so thanks for your suggestions.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 13, 2005
  10. "Todd H." <> wrote in message

    > Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
    > Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
    > library may have it.
    >
    > http://www.computerpoweruser.com/
    >
    > You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
    > especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    I will get hold of this article asap as it sounds like it could prove to be
    very interesting.
    Thanks for the advice.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 13, 2005
  11. "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Todd H." <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
    >> Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
    >> library may have it.
    >>
    >> http://www.computerpoweruser.com/
    >>
    >> You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
    >> especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> --
    >> Todd H.
    >> http://www.toddh.net/

    > I will get hold of this article asap as it sounds like it could prove to
    > be very interesting.
    > Thanks for the advice.
    > C.C.

    I found this....

    http://tinyurl.com/9zdbq

    The article looks like it's what I'm after, but you need to subscribe to
    Computer Power User magazine and unfortunately I can't do that as it only
    allows people from the US and Canada to subscribe. (I'm in the UK).
    Could anyone email me a photo-copy of this article?
    I'd really love to read it.
    TIA.
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Champagne Charlie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Aupnf.41061$,
    Champagne Charlie spewed forth:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell
    >> one-piece cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and
    >> just want something compact, low-power-consumption, and easily
    >> portable, you could build a 'small form factor' PC. It probably
    >> won't have its own built-in batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and
    >> pointing device, would be seperate bits not all in one case, but for
    >> many purposes that could be a positive advantage. There are several
    >> 'SFF' cases on the market, and suitable motherboards with built-in
    >> audio, video, and ethernet, that can take standard RAM cards and PCI
    >> cards. Some people prefer to put their PC innards inside improbable
    >> containers, such as defunct radio sets or motor-cycle crash helmets
    >> or footballs or ... --
    >> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >> -- Whiskers
    >> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    > That's a great idea as space was the reason for my wondering about
    > this option.
    > I am looking into things, so thanks for your suggestions.
    > C.C.

    I just built a system for someone. This thing had a gig of RAM, 64 bit AMD
    CPU, DVD burner, etc. and was in one of these small footprint cases. The
    case had a handle built in so he could unplug a few things on the back, pick
    it up and haul it to the studio when the band was playing. I worried about
    cooling, but the case seemed to do okay. I don't remember make/model
    though - but it really was about half the size of a typical tower. It was a
    bit awkward installing parts and keeping the cables tied up nicely
    (essential for cooling in a tight case) but he paid me nicely for the job :)

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Champagne Charlie

    acruxksa Guest

    Todd H. Wrote:
    > "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> writes:
    > > I know that I've always been able to save a small fortune whe

    > building my
    > > own PCs rather than buying store-bought, branded ones, but I wondere

    > if
    > > there is any way of actually building my own laptop/notebook.
    > > Anyone know if there are any sites where I could get parts to d

    > this?
    > > Just curious.
    > > TIA.
    > > C.C.

    > Computer Power User magazine did a cover story "Build Your Own
    > Notebook PC" in Sept 05. Back issues are sold out, but your local
    > library may have it.
    >
    > http://www.computerpoweruser.com/
    >
    > You may be able to buy the article online. CPU is a great magazine
    > especially if you find the mainstream mags a bit dumbed down.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    What he said.
    I was surprised by the article myself, but there are actually severa
    manufacturers who make chasis for 2nd tier companies. Most of thes
    chasis can be obtained w/ mobo, lcd, videocard and battery and you fil
    in the rest. Ie. DVD-RW, HDD, Ram, and CPU. Some even give you choice
    in the videocard area. The savings isn't as dramatic as with a deskto
    system, but it's still substantial providing you don't take a beatin
    on shipping

    --
    acruxks

    Doh!!
    acruxksa's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=280
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181910774

    acruxksa, Dec 13, 2005
  14. Champagne Charlie

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-13, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    > In news:Aupnf.41061$,
    > Champagne Charlie spewed forth:
    >> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>> If you are prepared to manage without the book-form or clamshell
    >>> one-piece cases we've come to call 'laptops' or 'notebooks', and
    >>> just want something compact, low-power-consumption, and easily
    >>> portable, you could build a 'small form factor' PC. It probably
    >>> won't have its own built-in batteries, and the screen, keyboard, and
    >>> pointing device, would be seperate bits not all in one case, but for
    >>> many purposes that could be a positive advantage. There are several
    >>> 'SFF' cases on the market, and suitable motherboards with built-in
    >>> audio, video, and ethernet, that can take standard RAM cards and PCI
    >>> cards. Some people prefer to put their PC innards inside improbable
    >>> containers, such as defunct radio sets or motor-cycle crash helmets
    >>> or footballs or ...

    >> That's a great idea as space was the reason for my wondering about
    >> this option.
    >> I am looking into things, so thanks for your suggestions.
    >> C.C.

    > I just built a system for someone. This thing had a gig of RAM, 64 bit AMD
    > CPU, DVD burner, etc. and was in one of these small footprint cases. The
    > case had a handle built in so he could unplug a few things on the back, pick
    > it up and haul it to the studio when the band was playing. I worried about
    > cooling, but the case seemed to do okay. I don't remember make/model
    > though - but it really was about half the size of a typical tower. It was a
    > bit awkward installing parts and keeping the cables tied up nicely
    > (essential for cooling in a tight case) but he paid me nicely for the job :)

    I've been pondering something of the sort for myself. With a little
    research and carpentry or sewing, one could probably arrange a tool-box or
    sports bag (or violin-case etc) to carry a mini PC conveniently and
    inconspicuously. The impetus was lost when I dashed out to get a 'used'
    laptop when my aged 500MHz tower system failed to survive my tender
    ministrations and I started getting usenet withdrawal symptoms ...

    I've seen pictures of a PC built into a picture-frame, and hanging on the
    wall as an 'art-work', with all the innards proudly on display. With
    'wireless' keyboard and so on, one could arrange a very handy and tidy
    set-up.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 13, 2005
  15. Champagne Charlie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:eek:,
    Whiskers spewed forth:
    > On 2005-12-13, Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >> In news:Aupnf.41061$,
    >> Champagne Charlie spewed forth:
    >>> "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> That's a great idea as space was the reason for my wondering about
    >>> this option.
    >>> I am looking into things, so thanks for your suggestions.
    >>> C.C.

    >> I just built a system for someone. This thing had a gig of RAM, 64
    >> bit AMD CPU, DVD burner, etc. and was in one of these small
    >> footprint cases. The case had a handle built in so he could unplug a
    >> few things on the back, pick it up and haul it to the studio when
    >> the band was playing. I worried about cooling, but the case seemed
    >> to do okay. I don't remember make/model
    >> though - but it really was about half the size of a typical tower.
    >> It was a bit awkward installing parts and keeping the cables tied up
    >> nicely (essential for cooling in a tight case) but he paid me nicely
    >> for the job :)

    > I've been pondering something of the sort for myself. With a little
    > research and carpentry or sewing, one could probably arrange a
    > tool-box or sports bag (or violin-case etc) to carry a mini PC
    > conveniently and inconspicuously. The impetus was lost when I dashed
    > out to get a 'used' laptop when my aged 500MHz tower system failed to
    > survive my tender ministrations and I started getting usenet
    > withdrawal symptoms ...
    >
    > I've seen pictures of a PC built into a picture-frame, and hanging on
    > the wall as an 'art-work', with all the innards proudly on display.
    > With 'wireless' keyboard and so on, one could arrange a very handy
    > and tidy set-up.

    Hmmm...PC as art...I think I could do that...

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2005