Dixon's, major UK camera shops, to drop 35mm

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PossumTrot, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. PossumTrot

    PossumTrot Guest

    PossumTrot, Aug 3, 2006

  2. PossumTrot

    Paul Heslop Guest

    PossumTrot wrote:

    > They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
    > The article did not say they would not special order, though.

    sorry to rain on your parade, but did you check the date of that
    article? :O)

    Monday, 8 August 2005, 13:47 GMT 14:47 UK

    --
    Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 3, 2006

  3. PossumTrot

    Scott W Guest

    PossumTrot wrote:

    > They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
    > The article did not say they would not special order, though.

    They said they would keep selling their current stock, that should last
    for a very long time.

    Scott
    Scott W, Aug 3, 2006
  4. PossumTrot

    Roy G Guest

    "PossumTrot" <> wrote in message

    > They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking
    > them. The article did not say they would not special order, though.

    Good grief.

    It is a year since this happened.

    It was about time that Dixons did some sort of favour to photographers, why
    are they only restricting it to film photographers.

    Perhaps with a bit of luck, some of their staff might now have a clue about
    some of the items they do stock.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Aug 3, 2006
  5. PossumTrot

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Roy G wrote:

    > "PossumTrot" <> wrote in message
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
    > >
    > > They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking
    > > them. The article did not say they would not special order, though.
    > >

    > > --

    > Good grief.
    >
    > It is a year since this happened.
    >
    > It was about time that Dixons did some sort of favour to photographers, why
    > are they only restricting it to film photographers.
    >
    > Perhaps with a bit of luck, some of their staff might now have a clue about
    > some of the items they do stock.
    >
    > Roy G

    heh heh
    Paul Heslop, Aug 3, 2006
  6. PossumTrot

    Bill Guest

    PossumTrot wrote:

    >They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
    >The article did not say they would not special order, though.

    What's a 35mm camera?

    Film is dead! Long live digital!

    :)
    Bill, Aug 4, 2006
  7. PossumTrot

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Bill <> wrote:

    > PossumTrot wrote:
    >
    > >They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
    > >The article did not say they would not special order, though.

    > What's a 35mm camera?
    >
    > Film is dead! Long live digital!

    For me, digital put a whole new lease of life back into my (amateur)
    photography. Instead of waiting weeks to either finish a roll (or
    wastefully use it up) or wishing I'd used Kodacolor 400 instead of 100.

    Results right here, right now was the way to go. The only problems I had
    back in 2001 was the Sony camera memory stick was way over-priced then -
    a 128mb stick sold for around $200 here in japan.

    Fortunately I've graduated to a more user (and wallet) friendly Fuji
    S7000.

    I have been experimenting with stereo photography linking 2 Fiji F440s
    together, but maybe that won't replace my David White Stereo Realist.
    Lets hope film (especially slide film) sticks around for years to come.
    Stewy, Aug 4, 2006