Dixons Freetalk launches with a whisper

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adam Aglionby, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Independent 28th September:

    http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article315538.ece
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/c8foj

    Headline numbers:

    Freetalk
    Annual subscription 79.99 GBP free UK landline calls for 12 months Or
    monthly 6.99 GBP free UK landline calls
    5p minute UK mobile calls evenings /weekends
    2p minute US landline

    Independent print edition has DSG MD Simon Turner pictured at press
    conference in front of Freetalk banner.

    Unfortunately he hasn`t told DSG`s webmasters www.freetalk.co.uk still
    just showing Freetalk logo and untitled document. www.dixons.co.uk is
    majoring on the iPod Nano.

    The Register has some of the responses from Onetel, who again haven`t
    got their webmasters in the loop no mention of Voip on Onetel homepage,
    and other Voip `me too` players, stories linked at bottom of page.

    http://www.theregister.com/2005/09/28/onetel_voip

    Calls can only get cheaper....

    Adam

    Adam Aglionby, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Adam Aglionby

    Guest

    On 28 Sep 2005 05:38:06 -0700, "Adam Aglionby" <>
    wrote:
    snipped
    >Independent print edition has DSG MD Simon Turner pictured at press
    >conference in front of Freetalk banner.
    >
    >Unfortunately he hasn`t told DSG`s webmasters www.freetalk.co.uk still
    >just showing Freetalk logo and untitled document. www.dixons.co.uk is
    >majoring on the iPod Nano.
    >
    >The Register has some of the responses from Onetel, who again haven`t
    >got their webmasters in the loop no mention of Voip on Onetel homepage,
    >and other Voip `me too` players, stories linked at bottom of page.
    >
    >http://www.theregister.com/2005/09/28/onetel_voip
    >
    >Calls can only get cheaper....

    And hopefully free from BT for those of us who pay BT £30 pm for a
    broad band connection already. I can see no reason to pay more for
    using the connection I already pay for. If BT got it's act together
    and realised we can already get cheaper calls than they are proposing
    to offer us maybe they will go the free route to attract more BB
    subscribers to them.
    pete

    , Sep 28, 2005

  3. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Independent 28th September:
    >
    > http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article315538.ece
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/c8foj
    >
    > Headline numbers:
    >
    > Freetalk
    > Annual subscription 79.99 GBP free UK landline calls for 12 months Or
    > monthly 6.99 GBP free UK landline calls
    > 5p minute UK mobile calls evenings /weekends
    > 2p minute US landline
    >
    > Independent print edition has DSG MD Simon Turner pictured at press
    > conference in front of Freetalk banner.
    >
    > Unfortunately he hasn`t told DSG`s webmasters www.freetalk.co.uk still
    > just showing Freetalk logo and untitled document. www.dixons.co.uk is
    > majoring on the iPod Nano.
    >
    > The Register has some of the responses from Onetel, who again haven`t
    > got their webmasters in the loop no mention of Voip on Onetel homepage,
    > and other Voip `me too` players, stories linked at bottom of page.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.com/2005/09/28/onetel_voip
    >
    > Calls can only get cheaper....

    Can they?

    We will wait and see, lets see how many compnies go under first because
    they can't compete and the lets see how much choice you get when there
    is only a few telecoms companies left.

    Anyway according to Ivor and others on here VOIP is not about saying
    money.

    Ad C, Sep 28, 2005
  4. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > And hopefully free from BT for those of us who pay BT £30 pm for a
    > broad band connection already. I can see no reason to pay more for
    > using the connection I already pay for. If BT got it's act together
    > and realised we can already get cheaper calls than they are proposing
    > to offer us maybe they will go the free route to attract more BB
    > subscribers to them.

    You are dreaming, Bt will do the minimum needed to stay comparative and
    that is it.

    Ad C, Sep 28, 2005
  5. Adam Aglionby

    Pricefighter Guest

    Pricefighter, Sep 28, 2005
  6. Adam Aglionby

    alexd Guest

    Ad C wrote:

    > Anyway according to Ivor and others on here VOIP is not about saying
    > money.

    After spending ages setting up Asterisk, and buying IP phones, I'd prolly
    need 20 years of free calls to make my money back...

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:42:45 up 2 days, 7:06, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.26, 0.32

    alexd, Sep 28, 2005
  7. Adam Aglionby

    Jono Guest

    alexd wrote:
    || Ad C wrote:
    ||| Anyway according to Ivor and others on here VOIP is not about saying
    ||| money.
    || After spending ages setting up Asterisk, and buying IP phones, I'd
    || prolly need 20 years of free calls to make my money back...
    || --

    I thought I'd typed that for a moment!

    Jono, Sep 28, 2005
  8. Adam Aglionby

    Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:02:42 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    >> And hopefully free from BT for those of us who pay BT £30 pm for a
    >> broad band connection already. I can see no reason to pay more for
    >> using the connection I already pay for. If BT got it's act together
    >> and realised we can already get cheaper calls than they are proposing
    >> to offer us maybe they will go the free route to attract more BB
    >> subscribers to them.

    >You are dreaming, Bt will do the minimum needed to stay comparative and
    >that is it.

    You maybe right. However I think they will have to act as they can no
    longer compete and although I have a BT line they get no money off me
    for calls so they would be losing nothing to let me have it as part of
    my BB connection if that generated enough new BB connections to
    replace the line rental especially if a cable firm does something
    similar.
    pete

    , Sep 28, 2005
  9. Adam Aglionby

    Al Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:43:58 GMT, alexd wrote:

    >After spending ages setting up Asterisk, and buying IP phones, I'd prolly
    >need 20 years of free calls to make my money back...

    You clearly don't make many calls.

    Al, Sep 29, 2005
  10. "Al" <.@_.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:43:58 GMT, alexd wrote:
    >
    >>After spending ages setting up Asterisk, and buying IP phones, I'd prolly
    >>need 20 years of free calls to make my money back...

    > You clearly don't make many calls.

    Hello Peter Turtill my friend

    Good to see you back with your anonymous readfreenews account again

    Will we see you back to your normal tricks of lying, abusing and harassing
    people soon now ?

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

    Alhaji Saleh Jambo, Sep 29, 2005
  11. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Onetels site is up and running under Justdail brand.
    >
    > www.justdialvoip.com

    Onetel played a nasty trick on my mate, they signed him up behind his
    back to their phone service.
    That is not good, so I will avoid Onetel like the plague

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005
  12. Adam Aglionby

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > So what is the point?
    >
    > There are some things I do as a hobby, but mucking around
    > with phones is not one of them.

    There's the difference. What is a hobby to some isn't to you, and vice
    versa. I know people who spend all their spare time flying model
    aircraft, but it isn't my cup of tea.

    I spent about 6 hours today trying to get a piece of old telephone
    equipment working, I still haven't managed it fully, but I'll get there in
    the end..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 30, 2005
  13. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>, says...

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005
  14. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >You are dreaming, Bt will do the minimum needed to stay comparative and
    > >that is it.

    > You maybe right. However I think they will have to act as they can no

    I could also be wrong.

    > longer compete and although I have a BT line they get no money off me
    > for calls so they would be losing nothing to let me have it as part of
    > my BB connection if that generated enough new BB connections to
    > replace the line rental especially if a cable firm does something
    > similar.

    BT do not get any money of me directly for calls, but what ever they do
    get, must be a lot less than if I paid directly for them.
    What about people who do not want to use BT for their internet and want
    to use another ISP? do you think BT would allow me to free line rental,
    because I got broadband acess?

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005
  15. Adam Aglionby

    Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:11:44 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> >You are dreaming, Bt will do the minimum needed to stay comparative and
    >> >that is it.

    >> You maybe right. However I think they will have to act as they can no

    >I could also be wrong.
    >
    >> longer compete and although I have a BT line they get no money off me
    >> for calls so they would be losing nothing to let me have it as part of
    >> my BB connection if that generated enough new BB connections to
    >> replace the line rental especially if a cable firm does something
    >> similar.

    >BT do not get any money of me directly for calls, but what ever they do
    >get, must be a lot less than if I paid directly for them.
    >What about people who do not want to use BT for their internet and want
    >to use another ISP? do you think BT would allow me to free line rental,
    >because I got broadband acess?

    If BT were to do it so other ISP's would have to follow. I can see a
    lot of business sense in an ISP saying we will supply you with free
    telephone calls if you subscribe to our service. I don't think BT are
    going to have much choice when folks who do not normally use computers
    start getting Dixons stuff & nonsense. Maybe just wishful thinking I
    suppose;-)
    pete

    , Sep 30, 2005
  16. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > There's the difference. What is a hobby to some isn't to you, and vice

    True, but phones as a hobby, would seem a bit sad to a lot of people.

    > versa. I know people who spend all their spare time flying model
    > aircraft, but it isn't my cup of tea.

    Not that is a good idea, That is more interesting, it gets you outside
    and meeting people.

    > I spent about 6 hours today trying to get a piece of old telephone
    > equipment working, I still haven't managed it fully, but I'll get there in
    > the end..!

    I spent four hours on Thursday trying to get my computer working. A
    couple of hours before I went to work and a couple of hours when I came
    back home.

    I think my computer is dying. :-(

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005
  17. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >BT do not get any money of me directly for calls, but what ever they do
    > >get, must be a lot less than if I paid directly for them.
    > >What about people who do not want to use BT for their internet and want
    > >to use another ISP? do you think BT would allow me to free line rental,
    > >because I got broadband acess?

    > If BT were to do it so other ISP's would have to follow. I can see a
    > lot of business sense in an ISP saying we will supply you with free
    > telephone calls if you subscribe to our service. I don't think BT are
    > going to have much choice when folks who do not normally use computers
    > start getting Dixons stuff & nonsense. Maybe just wishful thinking I
    > suppose;-)

    You still got the line rental, you said that Bt should give people free
    line rental if they have broadband, but how will another ISP give you
    that free line rental, since BT will still be charging them?

    As for Dixons stuff, how many people that do not use a computer are
    going to get broadband just so they can use VOIP?

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005
  18. Adam Aglionby

    alexd Guest

    Al wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:43:58 GMT, alexd wrote:
    >
    >>After spending ages setting up Asterisk, and buying IP phones, I'd prolly
    >>need 20 years of free calls to make my money back...

    > You clearly don't make many calls.

    Yeah but now I've so many phones I might make a habit of it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:31:19 up 3 days, 19:55, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.07, 0.10

    alexd, Sep 30, 2005
  19. Adam Aglionby

    alexd Guest

    Ad C wrote:

    > In article <>, lid
    > says...
    >>
    >> There's the difference. What is a hobby to some isn't to you, and vice

    > True, but phones as a hobby, would seem a bit sad to a lot of people.

    Almost as sad as kicking a pigs bladder around a grass field for 90 minutes
    every saturday. Or paying to watch it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:31:55 up 3 days, 19:56, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.06, 0.09

    alexd, Sep 30, 2005
  20. Adam Aglionby

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Almost as sad as kicking a pigs bladder around a grass field for 90 minutes
    > every saturday. Or paying to watch it.

    Not anywhere near as sad as that.

    Ad C, Sep 30, 2005