    Freetalk service? Any idea what ATA it is?

    Syd
    Norwich UK
    Syd Hancock, May 4, 2006

  2. Syd Hancock

    fred Guest

    "Syd Hancock" <> wrote in message
    news:e3do41$14v$2surf.net...
    >I saw a voip product in Dixons today for 20 quid called a
    > Freetalk adaptor. Does anyone know if this is locked to the
    > Freetalk service? Any idea what ATA it is?
    >
    > Syd
    > Norwich UK

    Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am aware.
    I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an American
    company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily basis and have
    been very impressed by the call quality.
    Fred.
    fred, May 5, 2006

  3. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am aware.
    >I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an American
    >company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily basis and have
    >been very impressed by the call quality.
    >Fred.

    Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less add-ons
    we use FT on a daily basis also .
    , May 5, 2006
  4. Syd Hancock

    fred Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am
    >>aware.
    >>I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an American
    >>company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily basis and have
    >>been very impressed by the call quality.
    >>Fred.
    >>

    > Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less add-ons
    > we use FT on a daily basis also .

    Hi M.dexter
    How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage? I
    ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
    Thanks
    Fred.
    fred, May 5, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh fred:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as I am
    >>> aware.
    >>> I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called packet8, an
    >>> American company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
    >>> basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
    >>> Fred.
    >>>

    >> Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less add-ons
    >> we use FT on a daily basis also .

    > Hi M.dexter
    > How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and
    > Vonage? I ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or
    > Vonage for my dad. Thanks
    > Fred.

    I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot around here, his
    opinions are worthless.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 5, 2006
  6. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:44:29 GMT, "fred" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi M.dexter
    >How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage? I
    >ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
    >Thanks
    >Fred.

    Both perfect only Sipgate offers poor service .
    , May 5, 2006
  7. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:52:26 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot around here, his
    >opinions are worthless.

    Only because you and a few others don't like me telling THE TRUTH
    regarding SIPGATE .
    , May 5, 2006
  8. Syd Hancock

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:52:26 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    > > I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot
    > > around here, his opinions are worthless.

    > Only because you and a few others don't like me telling
    > THE TRUTH regarding SIPGATE .

    The OP never even mentioned Sipgate but you couldn't resist dragging them
    into it, could you..?

    Oh well, yet another thread ruined.......

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 5, 2006
  9. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Fri, 5 May 2006 15:31:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:52:26 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >> <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >> > I wouldn't bother asking Dexter, he's the village idiot
    >> > around here, his opinions are worthless.

    >> Only because you and a few others don't like me telling
    >> THE TRUTH regarding SIPGATE .

    >The OP never even mentioned Sipgate but you couldn't resist dragging them
    >into it, could you..?

    It was only mentioned due to the fact that I know instantly what he
    was eluding to and why he posted what he did ,and for your information
    I will continue to drag them into it when ever I possibly can so you
    just as well get used it If you don't like it tough.
    Had Sipgate not left me and others without phone service for 36 hours
    or more they would not even ever be mentioned here or anywhere else by
    me but they did so I will continue to give them a bad name whenever
    and where ever I can . No other voip provider that I know of has ever
    done this to customers that I know of may I an and hour or two or even
    a day yes but not from early Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon
    NEVER .
    , May 5, 2006
  10. Syd Hancock

    fred Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:44:29 GMT, "fred" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi M.dexter
    >>How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage?
    >>ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
    >>Thanks
    >>Fred.
    >>

    > Both perfect only Sipgate offers poor service .

    Thanks M Dexter. Would you choose one over the other though and for any
    particular reason?
    Fred.
    fred, May 5, 2006
  11. Syd Hancock

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 May 2006 15:31:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Only because you and a few others don't like me telling
    >>> THE TRUTH regarding SIPGATE .

    >> The OP never even mentioned Sipgate but you couldn't resist dragging them
    >> into it, could you..?

    > It was only mentioned due to the fact that I know instantly what he
    > was eluding to and why he posted what he did ,and for your information
    > I will continue to drag them into it when ever I possibly can so you
    > just as well get used it If you don't like it tough.
    > Had Sipgate not left me and others without phone service for 36 hours
    > or more they would not even ever be mentioned here or anywhere else by
    > me but they did so I will continue to give them a bad name whenever
    > and where ever I can . No other voip provider that I know of has ever
    > done this to customers that I know of may I an and hour or two or even
    > a day yes but not from early Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon
    > NEVER .

    It is a shame that you use "X-No-Archive" to ensure that your words of
    wisdom are not preserved for people searching the archives for advice.
    Paul Cupis, May 5, 2006
  12. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 16:18:24 GMT, "fred" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:44:29 GMT, "fred" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi M.dexter
    >>>How would you say the call quality/service is between Freetalk and Vonage?
    >>>ask this as i am thinking of getting either Freetalk or Vonage for my dad.
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Fred.
    >>>

    >> Both perfect only Sipgate offers poor service .

    >Thanks M Dexter. Would you choose one over the other though and for any
    >particular reason?
    >Fred.

    To put it bluntly Fred I am not keen on fancy add-dons like voice mail
    and being able to transfer calls to another number etc has I just do
    not have the use for such things although you can do this with FT but
    FT offer the least add-dons . This is the only reason for choosing FT
    over Vonage why pay for extra's that you have no use for in fact my
    two FT accounts will be closed later this year when I get to the end
    of the 12 month contract which I paid for at the start .The one and
    only thing regarding FT is that they employ the use of an 0870 number
    which I find totally abhorrent for support even though I have not had
    to use it at all . Noting at all wrong with the FT service but my
    usage dictates that I can save money by using Voipcheap for incoming
    calls and Sipdiscount for outgoing which cost approx seven pounds
    every three months where as FT cost 7.00 a month .
    , May 5, 2006
  13. Syd Hancock

    Syd Hancock Guest

    wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as
    >>I am aware. I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called
    >>packet8, an American
    >>company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
    >>basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
    >>Fred.
    >>

    > Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less
    > add-ons we use FT on a daily basis also .

    Thanks for the info. Also, on a simple practical level, how does
    it connect to the broadband line? Does it need a router or can
    it be used easily with a PC/modem combination? I have a router
    but am thinking of suggesting it to family and friends who do
    not.

    Syd
    Syd Hancock, May 11, 2006
  14. Syd Hancock

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as
    >>>I am aware. I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called
    >>>packet8, an American
    >>>company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
    >>>basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
    >>>Fred.
    >>>

    >> Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less
    >> add-ons we use FT on a daily basis also .

    > Thanks for the info. Also, on a simple practical level, how does
    > it connect to the broadband line? Does it need a router or can
    > it be used easily with a PC/modem combination? I have a router
    > but am thinking of suggesting it to family and friends who do
    > not.
    >
    > Syd

    Hi Syd
    It connects via an ethernet port on a spare port on a router for best
    performance asno computers need to be on for it to work. It can be connected
    via a USB port to a pc if no router is availablebut the pc has to be on.
    Fred.
    fred, May 11, 2006
  15. Syd Hancock

    Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 07:00:20 +0100, Syd Hancock
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:53:26 GMT, "fred"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Syd I believe it is locked to the Freetalk Service as far as
    >>>I am aware. I believe Dixons did a deal with a company called
    >>>packet8, an American
    >>>company http://www.packet8.net/ I use Freetalk on a daily
    >>>basis and have been very impressed by the call quality.
    >>>Fred.
    >>>

    >> Every bit as good has Vonage only a little cheaper with less
    >> add-ons we use FT on a daily basis also .

    >Thanks for the info. Also, on a simple practical level, how does
    >it connect to the broadband line? Does it need a router or can
    >it be used easily with a PC/modem combination? I have a router
    >but am thinking of suggesting it to family and friends who do
    >not.
    >
    >Syd

    Either way Syd without router and simplified what you have to do is
    connect the ATA to the modem THEN the computer to the ATA and all will
    be well the Manuel is pretty easy to follow anyway .
    , May 11, 2006
  16. Syd Hancock

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Either way Syd without router and simplified what you
    > have to do is connect the ATA to the modem THEN the
    > computer to the ATA and all will be well the Manuel is
    > pretty easy to follow anyway .

    Que..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 11, 2006
  17. Syd Hancock

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones formulated on Thursday :

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Either way Syd without router and simplified what you
    >> have to do is connect the ATA to the modem THEN the
    >> computer to the ATA and all will be well the Manuel is
    >> pretty easy to follow anyway .

    > Que..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Don't mention the war.
    Jono, May 11, 2006
  18. Syd Hancock

    GwG Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones formulated on Thursday :
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Either way Syd without router and simplified what you
    >>> have to do is connect the ATA to the modem THEN the
    >>> computer to the ATA and all will be well the Manuel is
    >>> pretty easy to follow anyway .

    >> Que..?
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Don't mention the war.