    each other.

    Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?

    My Samsung DVD-V540 player could play both through the TV.
    GraB, Jun 14, 2005

  2. On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:59:16 UTC, GraB <> wrote:

    > I tried out AutoGk with 2.08 update recently to encode a DVD, setting
    > quality to 80%, slightly higher than the default 75%, then did it
    > again using Dr DivX with 5.2.1 codec selecting high quality 2-pass
    > mode. The Xvid file came out at 2.68Gb and the DivX 1.14Gb. The Xvid
    > file played back slightly better, reduced artifacts, on 19" monitor
    > fullscreen than the DivX. I redid the Xvid one setting it to a file
    > size equivalent to the DivX file and 2-pass mode. It took a bit
    > longer than Dr DivX, but this time they were indistinguishable from
    > each other.
    >
    > Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?
    >
    > My Samsung DVD-V540 player could play both through the TV.

    I prefer DivX myself, as I have had problems playing some Xvid files
    on my Philips DVP-642K/75 DVD player. It is DivX certified and has
    played all DivX files I have tried that conform to that spec. A lot
    of Xvid files I have tried may play, but I can not fast forward, goto
    or go backwards at all in them, when I can on DivX equivalents. I
    have never figured out just what in an Xvid file caused that.

    Avoid files done with the QPEL or GMC options - I don't think there is
    a DVD player chipset out there yet that will play them, especially
    Xvid which uses them in a more extreme manner.

    I prefer to use VirtualDubMod for encoding to DivX, as I find that GK
    and AutoGK get in the way of what I am trying to do - with Vdub I have
    full control and only what I want happens. I normally encode to DivX
    at 1150 kibit/s, which, to my eyes, gives me most of the quality of a
    DVD without having the file sizes too huge. As far as I can tell
    (others may disagree), encoding at above 1600 kibits/s in DivX from
    DVD sources does not gain anything in quality.
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?

    > I prefer DivX myself

    I prefer Xvid, due to percieved better quality(for the same file size
    when compared to divx), but if I'm watching it on a TV, it really
    doesn't seem to matter.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 15, 2005
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:09:18 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>>Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?

    >> I prefer DivX myself

    >I prefer Xvid, due to percieved better quality(for the same file size
    >when compared to divx), but if I'm watching it on a TV, it really
    >doesn't seem to matter.

    That is interesting, I couldn't pick the difference, and that on a
    high res 19" CRT computer monitor.
    GraB, Jun 15, 2005
  5. GraB

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > I tried out AutoGk with 2.08 update recently to encode a DVD, setting
    > quality to 80%, slightly higher than the default 75%, then did it
    > again using Dr DivX with 5.2.1 codec selecting high quality 2-pass
    > mode. The Xvid file came out at 2.68Gb and the DivX 1.14Gb. The Xvid
    > file played back slightly better, reduced artifacts, on 19" monitor
    > fullscreen than the DivX. I redid the Xvid one setting it to a file
    > size equivalent to the DivX file and 2-pass mode. It took a bit
    > longer than Dr DivX, but this time they were indistinguishable from
    > each other.
    >
    > Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?
    >
    > My Samsung DVD-V540 player could play both through the TV.

    Have you seen ratdvd?
    Craig Sutton, Jun 15, 2005
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:02:17 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> I tried out AutoGk with 2.08 update recently to encode a DVD, setting
    >> quality to 80%, slightly higher than the default 75%, then did it
    >> again using Dr DivX with 5.2.1 codec selecting high quality 2-pass
    >> mode. The Xvid file came out at 2.68Gb and the DivX 1.14Gb. The Xvid
    >> file played back slightly better, reduced artifacts, on 19" monitor
    >> fullscreen than the DivX. I redid the Xvid one setting it to a file
    >> size equivalent to the DivX file and 2-pass mode. It took a bit
    >> longer than Dr DivX, but this time they were indistinguishable from
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?
    >>
    >> My Samsung DVD-V540 player could play both through the TV.

    >Have you seen ratdvd?

    No, not yet.
    GraB, Jun 15, 2005
  7. GraB

    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> I tried out AutoGk with 2.08 update recently to encode a DVD, setting
    >> quality to 80%, slightly higher than the default 75%, then did it
    >> again using Dr DivX with 5.2.1 codec selecting high quality 2-pass
    >> mode. The Xvid file came out at 2.68Gb and the DivX 1.14Gb. The Xvid
    >> file played back slightly better, reduced artifacts, on 19" monitor
    >> fullscreen than the DivX. I redid the Xvid one setting it to a file
    >> size equivalent to the DivX file and 2-pass mode. It took a bit
    >> longer than Dr DivX, but this time they were indistinguishable from
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> Some claim Xvid as better. What do others think?
    >>
    >> My Samsung DVD-V540 player could play both through the TV.

    >Have you seen ratdvd?

    Just been having a look at it. My setup: Win98SE Lite on Athlon
    XP2400+ (2 GHz). RatDVD requirements: Win2K or WinXP and 2.6GHz CPU
    or better. So guess I will pass on that one.
    GraB, Jun 15, 2005
  8. GraB wrote:

    >>>I prefer DivX myself

    >>I prefer Xvid, due to percieved better quality(for the same file size
    >>when compared to divx), but if I'm watching it on a TV, it really
    >>doesn't seem to matter.

    > That is interesting, I couldn't pick the difference, and that on a
    > high res 19" CRT computer monitor.

    maybe it's just the ones I downlo... I mean make from legitimate
    un-copy-protected home movie archives. :)

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 15, 2005