    there after the rip

    Any help much appreciated - Bear
    , Dec 16, 2007

  2. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
    > direction please
    >
    > DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
    > Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
    > tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
    > has been preserved?
    >
    > I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
    > looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
    > DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
    > I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
    > AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
    > there after the rip
    >
    > Any help much appreciated - Bear

    TMPGenc DVD Author 3 w/Divx

    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

    It will scan your DVD and give you the option of which (or all) chapters to
    convert.
    You can then set up your Divx file with menus, chapters etc, just like a
    DVD.

    Great program.

    I just checked and Dolby Digital AC3 is an option for Divx encoding.
    Jim, Dec 16, 2007

  3. Netmask Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
    > direction please
    >
    > DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
    > Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
    > tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
    > has been preserved?
    >
    > I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
    > looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
    > DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
    > I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
    > AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
    > there after the rip
    >
    > Any help much appreciated - Bear

    AutoGk will do it http://www.autogk.me.uk/ and it's free.

    Program features support of:
    - DVD/VOBs(unencrypted from hdd), MPEG2, MPEG1, transport streams (including
    multi-program ones) and AVI/DV input sources
    - XviD or DivX(5/6) output formats
    - AC3, DTS, PCM, MPA input audio tracks
    - AC3, DTS, MPA, CBR/VBR MP3 output audio tracks
    - two audio tracks in AVI
    - external (vobsub) or internal (burnt-in) subtitles (with support of forced
    subs)
    - HDTV input/output resolutions(upto 1920x***) and frame rates (50/60fps)
    - automatic crop and resize based on compressibility of the source to
    achieve best results
    - automatic detection of input source: PAL, NTSC, FILM, HYBRID
    - automatic deinterlacer and IVTC
    - automatic split into CD-sized chunks for main video and external subs
    Netmask, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Jeff Guest

    wrote in news:d9c5dd06-586f-4c75-ad91-
    :

    > Apologies if I'm in the wrong area - just point me in the right
    > direction please
    >
    > DivX software suggestions? I'm trying to convert DVD rips to DivX and
    > Xvid etc. and maintain the AC3 audio. I've got the DivX bundle and
    > tried various other software but how do I know whether the AC3 track
    > has been preserved?
    >
    > I'm unable to play back DivX on my DVD player at the moment and am
    > looking to invest in a media streamer. Hence I need to make sure my
    > DivX (or other codec) rips contain the AC3 track. Most of the software
    > I've tried so far (DivX bundle, Free DVD Ripper, Simple DivX and
    > AutoGK) show the AC3 track but I have no way of knowing if it's still
    > there after the rip
    >
    > Any help much appreciated - Bear

    Use GSpot to check the avi file after ripping. It will tell you if the
    audio track is AC3.
    Jeff, Dec 16, 2007
  5. Guest

    Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!

    I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    crashes under Vista.

    Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder

    Bear :)
    , Dec 16, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Dec 16, 2:47 pm, wrote:
    > Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >
    > I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    > but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    > Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    > crashes under Vista.
    >
    > Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    > old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    > format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >
    > Bear :)

    Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
    DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
    have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
    DivX codec for quality or speed.

    Back to the drawing board...
    , Dec 16, 2007
  7. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
    > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size.

    All of Divx's quality settings are accesible including using their built in
    'Home Theater' setting if you so choose.
    Setting exact bitrate, biderectional coding, keyframe, noise filter, 2
    pass, 1pass etc is all there.

    You can also choose mpeg1, mpeg2, or ac3 audio, set subtitles, or create
    menus for the Divx file.
    Jim, Dec 16, 2007
  8. Guest

    On Dec 16, 6:34 pm, "Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
    > > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    > > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size.

    > All of Divx's quality settings are accesible including using their built in
    > 'Home Theater' setting if you so choose.
    > Setting exact bitrate, biderectional coding, keyframe, noise filter, 2
    > pass, 1pass etc is all there.
    >
    > You can also choose mpeg1, mpeg2, or ac3 audio, set subtitles, or create
    > menus for the Divx file.

    Wow...I missed that under preferences (although for some strange
    reason the target size doesn't seem to change according to the
    encoding quality). Many thanks ... next time I'll look a little harder!
    , Dec 16, 2007
  9. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message news:1f9d931c-6fa7-4052-965b-
    > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
    > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
    > have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
    > DivX codec for quality or speed.

    I sent something similar a few hours ago.. not sure if it will show up
    but....

    In short, all the Divx settings are available.
    You have to dig into the settings menu of the source.
    Anything you need to change is there.
    Jim, Dec 16, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Dec 16, 7:49 pm, "Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message news:1f9d931c-6fa7-4052-965b-
    > > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than SimpleDivX or the
    > > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    > > configurable options for quality other than setting the target size. I
    > > have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to modify the
    > > DivX codec for quality or speed.

    > I sent something similar a few hours ago.. not sure if it will show up
    > but....
    >
    > In short, all the Divx settings are available.
    > You have to dig into the settings menu of the source.
    > Anything you need to change is there.

    Thanks - now to stump up some cash!
    , Dec 16, 2007
  11. Bill's News Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 16, 7:49 pm, "Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Oh dear - sorry but TMPGenc does little more than
    >> > SimpleDivX or the
    >> > DivX bundle that I have - in other words there are no user
    >> > configurable options for quality other than setting the
    >> > target size. I
    >> > have a copy of AutoGK but again this does not allow me to
    >> > modify the
    >> > DivX codec for quality or speed.

    >> I sent something similar a few hours ago.. not sure if it
    >> will show up
    >> but....
    >>
    >> In short, all the Divx settings are available.
    >> You have to dig into the settings menu of the source.
    >> Anything you need to change is there.

    > Thanks - now to stump up some cash!

    Some other thoughts:

    Although I've not tried this, I see no reason why it wouldn't
    work.

    Using VideoReDo (or perhaps some other programs) you can combine
    unencrypted VOBs into a single MPG file. VRD will also demux as
    M2V/MP2.

    Using ATI's Avivo video conversion program, you can (with
    limited, but adequate control over quality) do a one pass
    conversion from MPEG2 to xvid-like MPEG4 in speeding-bulletlike
    time (on the order of 9 minutes per hour of play time). Perhaps
    even faster than I've observed, since you'll be leaving out the
    sound track.

    Finally, AVI-Mux GUI can mux in the AC3 file pulled as MP2 from
    the original. AVI-MG can also adjust for synch issues, but there
    should be none after running through VRD.

    A little fiddly, but fairly quick - after the learning curve.
    Bill's News, Dec 17, 2007
  12. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >
    >I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >crashes under Vista.
    >
    >Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >
    >Bear :)

    That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 19, 2007
  13. Jim Guest

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article
    > <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >>
    >>I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >>but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >>Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >>crashes under Vista.
    >>
    >>Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >>old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >>format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >>
    >>Bear :)

    > That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    One awesome feature of the TMPGenc Divx authoring program is that you can
    create your divx file with full on Title menus, chapters etc just like a
    DVD. So if someone uses the Divx player to play it, it functions just as so.
    If someone uses another media player however, the menu function is lost and
    the file simply autoplays from the beginning sans menu.

    A note tho. TMPGenc does not advertise a 'rip any DVD' kinda feature.
    Although some store bought DVD movies can be ripped using it, some can not.
    They do not claim to be a dvd ripper program.
    Jim, Dec 19, 2007
  14. In article <4768ab58$0$8804$>,
    Jim <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >>>
    >>>I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >>>but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >>>Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >>>crashes under Vista.
    >>>
    >>>Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >>>old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >>>format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >>>
    >>>Bear :)

    >> That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    >One awesome feature of the TMPGenc Divx authoring program is that you can
    >create your divx file with full on Title menus, chapters etc just like a
    >DVD. So if someone uses the Divx player to play it, it functions just as so.
    >If someone uses another media player however, the menu function is lost and
    >the file simply autoplays from the beginning sans menu.
    >
    >A note tho. TMPGenc does not advertise a 'rip any DVD' kinda feature.
    >Although some store bought DVD movies can be ripped using it, some can not.
    >They do not claim to be a dvd ripper program.

    I've been using the TMPGenc Express for recoding, and TDA 1.6 for
    years. I guess it's time to upgrade even though I probably don't
    need the Divx portion.

    The TMPGenc Express came in quite handy in one instance.

    There was a film on cable that I'd wanted and I made a mistake
    in my DVR and only got the 1st hour.

    A few months later it was replayed and I missed the first part
    of the program.

    One had been recorded in a 2-hour mode so it was the typical
    format. The other got recorded in a 4-hour mode so the actual
    frame was 1/2 width and would expand to full frame.

    Obviously you can't hook those together. So I took the shorter
    of thet two, used TMPGenc Express to change the encing, and then
    used TDA to cut on a scene change.

    The interesting part of that was that the transmission had
    come from two different prints.

    There were slight framing differences between the prints - minor -
    but noticeable when looking for a cut point - but the difference
    was subtle. A slight difference in color timing, but if you
    didn't know what to look for you'd never notice.

    I use the TMPxxxx programs, and VideoRedo almost exclusively.

    I'm glad to know that the current program will read the DVD-RAM
    from my Pansonics [found a 20 at Sams' that was alone on the shelf
    with a lot of '15s] and since there was no price, I got a clerk
    to check it. It was the last one in stock so they gave me 30%
    of and I walked away with it for about $105. It was a good
    addtion to the one with the HD when there were two programs
    I wanted to record.

    Thanks for the update. I found that there is a special at
    Pegasys that will allow me to upgrade my 1.6 to the 3.0.
    Originally the only upgrade to 3.0 was from 2.x

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 19, 2007
  15. In article <>, Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >>
    >>I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >>but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >>Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >>crashes under Vista.
    >>
    >>Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >>old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >>format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >>
    >>Bear :)

    >That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >
    >Bill
    >
    >--
    >Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    A followup. I tried to get to the tmpgenc update, and I found I
    was not registered as a user.

    So I went through the procedure where they will send me a linke
    for registration.

    NOTHING. Tried about 20 minutes later. Still NOTHING.

    Checked at the ISP [where I'm the head tech-no-nut] and found
    that tmpgenc really has their mailer screwed up.

    Instead of sending mail to it is sending mail
    to . Since there is no user
    by that name it gets tossed away.

    I've modified the filters at the ISP and will probably get a ton of
    junk until I get the registration email, and can revert that
    'new' user I just added.

    I've never seen anthing like this before. If anyone else is hvaing
    problems like this, I thought you should know.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 19, 2007
  16. In article <>, Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    >>In article <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!
    >>>
    >>>I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >>>but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >>>Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >>>crashes under Vista.
    >>>
    >>>Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >>>old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >>>format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder
    >>>
    >>>Bear :)

    >>That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >>
    >>Bill
    >>
    >>--
    >>Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    >A followup. I tried to get to the tmpgenc update, and I found I
    >was not registered as a user.
    >
    >So I went through the procedure where they will send me a linke
    >for registration.
    >
    >NOTHING. Tried about 20 minutes later. Still NOTHING.
    >
    >Checked at the ISP [where I'm the head tech-no-nut] and found
    >that tmpgenc really has their mailer screwed up.
    >
    >Instead of sending mail to it is sending mail
    >to . Since there is no user
    >by that name it gets tossed away.
    >
    >I've modified the filters at the ISP and will probably get a ton of
    >junk until I get the registration email, and can revert that
    >'new' user I just added.
    >
    >I've never seen anthing like this before. If anyone else is hvaing
    >problems like this, I thought you should know.
    >
    >Bill
    >--
    >Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Final followup.

    The IP of Pegasys was in a blocked list of know SPAM IPs from
    China. Got that fixed and got the registration.

    I will say that the Pegasys purchase/download is one of the most
    convoluted operations I've ever seen.

    If the SW weren't so good I'd have probably given up :-( & :)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 19, 2007
  17. Guest

    On Dec 19, 2:28 am, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!

    > >I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    > >but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    > >Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    > >crashes under Vista.

    > >Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    > >old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    > >format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder

    > >Bear :)

    > That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    I didn't know ISObuster could do this!
    , Dec 20, 2007
  18. Guest

    On Dec 19, 8:05 pm, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    > In article <>, Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    > >In article <>, Bill Vermillion <> wrote:

    > >>That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.

    > >>Bill

    > >>--
    > >>Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    > >A followup. I tried to get to the tmpgenc update, and I found I
    > >was not registered as a user.

    > >So I went through the procedure where they will send me a linke
    > >for registration.

    > >NOTHING. Tried about 20 minutes later. Still NOTHING.

    > >Checked at the ISP [where I'm the head tech-no-nut] and found
    > >that tmpgenc really has their mailer screwed up.

    > >Instead of sending mail to it is sending mail
    > >to . Since there is no user
    > >by that name it gets tossed away.

    > >I've modified the filters at the ISP and will probably get a ton of
    > >junk until I get the registration email, and can revert that
    > >'new' user I just added.

    > >I've never seen anthing like this before. If anyone else is hvaing
    > >problems like this, I thought you should know.

    > >Bill
    > >--
    > >Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    > Final followup.
    >
    > The IP of Pegasys was in a blocked list of know SPAM IPs from
    > China. Got that fixed and got the registration.
    >
    > I will say that the Pegasys purchase/download is one of the most
    > convoluted operations I've ever seen.
    >
    > If the SW weren't so good I'd have probably given up :-( & :)
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com- Hide quoted text -

    I agree - this is a very easy to use piece of software. As to the
    issue of ripping DVD's that an earlier post mentioned, this is indeed
    a pain. My understanding is that you are legally allowed to make a
    copy of your original DVD for backup purposes only. Only in the event
    that the original is destroyed or becomes unusable are you allowed to
    use it. But will all of the CSS and Macrovision that is now applied to
    DVD's this is becoming increasingly more difficult.

    I always rip my original DVD's upon purchase to my hard drive (I have
    a 1 year old son and they don't last very long if left lying around!)
    and have to use a combination of Slysoft AnyDVD and DVD Shrink. I was
    using DVD XCopy Platinum until I upgraded to Vista upon which is
    doesn't work! Ultimately, I intend to reencode all of these DVD's to
    DivX to play on a hacked Xbox running XBMC. Interesting to know that
    the menus will still function using DivX player but not others
    , Dec 20, 2007
  19. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message news:cda2f392-a7c0-4572-a08c-

    >But will all of the CSS and Macrovision that is now applied to
    > DVD's this is becoming increasingly more difficult.
    > I always rip my original DVD's upon purchase to my hard drive (I have
    > a 1 year old son and they don't last very long if left lying around!)
    > and have to use a combination of Slysoft AnyDVD and DVD Shrink. I was
    > using DVD XCopy Platinum until I upgraded to Vista upon which is
    > doesn't work! Ultimately, I intend to reencode all of these DVD's to
    > DivX to play on a hacked Xbox running XBMC.

    I rip all my movies to hard drive also. DVDFab Platinum has encoded to Divx
    every DVD I have thrown at it.
    Even those with CSS so harsh they crash other ripping programs. No divx menu
    creation tool tho.

    > Interesting to know that
    > the menus will still function using DivX player but not others

    Well with tmpgnec dvd author, (CSS allowing) the program will rip all your
    chapters from the DVD and let you choose which you want to convert to Divx.
    It will then auto create a menu based on templates using those chapters. It
    doesn't afaik, use the original menu from the DVD.
    I guess you could include the menu vob in your conversion and possibly use
    it as a background for your new menu, but I don't want to mislead anyone
    into thinking that it rips the DVD and menu exactly as seen to a divx file.

    I think there is a 30 day trial on theprogram.
    Jim, Dec 20, 2007
  20. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Dec 19, 2:28 am, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Many thanks people - always rely on deja to come up with an answer!

    >> >I checked out TMPGenc Express yesterday under someones recomendation,
    >> >but it wouldn't handle AC3 - obviously I got the wrong trial!
    >> >Currently using SimpleDivX which seems to work well, but frequently
    >> >crashes under Vista.

    >> >Will give TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 - I like their software as I have an
    >> >old copy and it's the only program I've yet found which will rip RAM
    >> >format to DVD - very handy if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder

    >> >Bear :)

    >> That is good to know. I've been using isobuster to do that.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    >I didn't know ISObuster could do this!

    Isobuster will read almost anything, and then when I got the data
    off I'd run the stream fix utility from VideoRedo to make something
    that was useable. A real pain, but I had no other options.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Dec 21, 2007