    Is this because (a) the bit rate is not high enough for the player to
    support or (b) the file is created with a version of DIVX which my
    player does not support? Or ... ?

    Mr. Mike, May 17, 2006

  2. Mr. Mike

    Eaton Wings Guest

    Mr. Mike <> wrote in
    news::

    > A very small number of DIVX files (AVIs) that I have downloaded and
    > burned to CD ROM have this very strange appearance when played back on
    > my DVD player which plays back 99% of DIVX files OK -- sort of like
    > everything on the screen is melting.
    >
    > Is this because (a) the bit rate is not high enough for the player to
    > support or (b) the file is created with a version of DIVX which my
    > player does not support? Or ... ?

    Most likely bad encoding software. This happens to me every now and then
    as well.

    Eaton Wings, May 17, 2006

  3. Mr. Mike

    Mr. Mike Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:54:13 -0500, Eaton Wings <> wrote:

    >Most likely bad encoding software. This happens to me every now and then
    >as well.

    Looks like the problem is with the player. I went out and bought a new player
    yesterday (Toshiba SD-3900) and it will play virtually anything I can throw at
    it, including two discs that had the "meltdown" problem.

    Mr. Mike, May 18, 2006
  4. Mr. Mike

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:46:59 -0700, Mr. Mike <> wrote:

    >>Most likely bad encoding software. This happens to me every now and then
    >>as well.

    >Looks like the problem is with the player. I went out and bought a new player
    >yesterday (Toshiba SD-3900) and it will play virtually anything I can throw at
    >it, including two discs that had the "meltdown" problem.

    You had old codecs. I ran into this a while back and it went away when
    I loaded new codecs.

    --

    "A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
    It keeps him upright."

    Bob, May 18, 2006
  5. Mr. Mike

    Tony Roma Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:46:59 -0700, Mr. Mike <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:54:13 -0500, Eaton Wings <> wrote:
    >
    >>Most likely bad encoding software. This happens to me every now and then
    >>as well.

    >Looks like the problem is with the player. I went out and bought a new player
    >yesterday (Toshiba SD-3900) and it will play virtually anything I can throw at
    >it, including two discs that had the "meltdown" problem.

    I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    Tony Roma, May 19, 2006
  6. Mr. Mike

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:01:43 GMT, Tony Roma <> wrote:

    >I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    >far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    I suspect it also has to do with the fact that it is the newest you
    have. Did you attempt to upgrade the firmware in the 642?

    I had to get beta f/w to get my ILO DVDR to play XviDx, which is about
    the only thing it will play.

    --

    "First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
    make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

    Bob, May 20, 2006
  7. Mr. Mike

    buddy b Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:01:43 GMT, Tony Roma <> wrote:

    >>Looks like the problem is with the player. I went out and bought a new player
    >>yesterday (Toshiba SD-3900) and it will play virtually anything I can throw at
    >>it, including two discs that had the "meltdown" problem.

    >I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    >far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    Will it play NTSC and PAL?
    Thanks

    buddy b, May 20, 2006
  8. Mr. Mike

    dgates Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:05:07 -0400, buddy b <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:01:43 GMT, Tony Roma <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Looks like the problem is with the player. I went out and bought a new player
    >>>yesterday (Toshiba SD-3900) and it will play virtually anything I can throw at
    >>>it, including two discs that had the "meltdown" problem.

    >>I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    >>far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    >Will it play NTSC and PAL?

    That's what I was wondering. I just bought the Philips 642 ($69 at a
    store or $49 online) because of its nearly unanimous support as the
    machine that can play AVI's on CD-Rs and Region 2 DVDs as well.

    I didn't bump into this Toshiba model during my search for Region
    Free, AVI/Divx-compatible players.

    dgates, May 20, 2006
  9. Mr. Mike

    Mr. Mike Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:13:55 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >You had old codecs. I ran into this a while back and it went away when
    >I loaded new codecs.

    I tried downloading and installing the "update" for my Philips player
    from their WWW site, but the files in this update date back to 2004!
    Didn't help...

    Mr. Mike, May 23, 2006
  10. Mr. Mike

    Mr. Mike Guest

    >I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    >far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    Well, the Toshiba won't play HDTV AVI files (duh!!).

    Only two problems I have noticed so far:

    1) when playing a VCD and fast-scanning forward, it doesn't play from
    the point where you stop scanning, but from the point where you
    started
    2) the screen saver doesn't kick in when you pause while playing a
    DIVX AVI file ... I haven't checked to see if it kicks in when playing
    a DVD yet (been too busy!). If there is nothing in the player, it will
    kick in after some default period.

    Mr. Mike, May 23, 2006
  11. Mr. Mike

    Mr. Mike Guest

    wrote:

    >>I agree.. I had 2 of the philips 642 and this toshiba sd-3990 is by
    >>far the best at playing all dvd, svcd, vcd, divx, xvid whatever!!!

    >Will it play NTSC and PAL?

    There are hacks for the Toshiba player if you do a Google search ... I
    am hesitant to test them. Ditto for the Philips, which I have done and
    it works fine to play PAL discs.

    Mr. Mike, May 23, 2006
  12. Mr. Mike

    sbherculano

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hi,

    I would like to ask you one point regarding Toshiba SD-3900, Did you tell that is possible to play Dvix in this player ?

    I really appreciate your answer.

    Thanks in advance

    Regards

    Sérgio