    Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?

    TIA

    SNOman, Jun 15, 2004

  2. SNOman

    Bb Guest

    Bb, Jun 15, 2004

  3. On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:40:39 +1200, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >
    >TIA

    I did not follow the discussion, so I do not know which one was being
    talked about. But the site:

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

    can tell you which DVD players do DivX.

    The first one that did it was from:

    http://www.kiss-technology.com

    but they do not seem to be available in NZ, and are pretty expensive.
    But good - I would like to see them available here.

    See also:

    http://www.divx.com/hardware

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 15, 2004
  4. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    SNOman wrote:

    > Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    > discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >
    > TIA

    Good old Google.

    Found the item in question

    LiteOn LVD-2002 DivX DVD Player $348

    SNOman, Jun 15, 2004
  5. SNOman

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:56:02 +1200, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >SNOman wrote:
    >
    >> Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >> discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >Good old Google.
    >
    >Found the item in question
    >
    >LiteOn LVD-2002 DivX DVD Player $348

    Is that $348 NZ?

    Dogg, Jun 15, 2004
  6. SNOman

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <cals0h$p73$>,
    SNOman <> wrote:

    >LiteOn LVD-2002 DivX DVD Player $348

    Speaking of DVD players, the Mizuda 331K that was available in Countdown and
    other supermarkets last year at $130 is now available with a different badge
    (Olympic? Crown? can't remember...) at some New World supermarkets for...
    $79.

    Don Hills, Jun 15, 2004
  7. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:56:02 +1200, SNOman <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>SNOman wrote:
    >>

    >>>Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >>>discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >>Good old Google.
    >>
    >>Found the item in question
    >>
    >>LiteOn LVD-2002 DivX DVD Player $348

    > Is that $348 NZ?

    Apparently, It came from the NZ.comp thread and I think it was ascent
    that was talked about as the website listing it.

    SNOman, Jun 15, 2004
  8. SNOman

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:40:39 +1200, SNOman <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >> discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > I did not follow the discussion, so I do not know which one was being
    > talked about. But the site:
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    >
    > can tell you which DVD players do DivX.
    >
    > The first one that did it was from:
    >
    > http://www.kiss-technology.com
    >
    > but they do not seem to be available in NZ, and are pretty expensive.
    > But good - I would like to see them available here.

    I saw one somewhere (helpful huh?) that played DivX for $399 so they are
    available in NZ.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jun 15, 2004
  9. SNOman

    A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:09:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:40:39 +1200, SNOman <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >>> discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> I did not follow the discussion, so I do not know which one was being
    >> talked about. But the site:
    >>
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    >>
    >> can tell you which DVD players do DivX.
    >>
    >> The first one that did it was from:
    >>
    >> http://www.kiss-technology.com
    >>
    >> but they do not seem to be available in NZ, and are pretty expensive.
    >> But good - I would like to see them available here.

    >I saw one somewhere (helpful huh?) that played DivX for $399 so they are
    >available in NZ.

    What's the point? DVD writers are dirt cheap now. Is it hard to
    convert from DivX to Mpeg2?

    A, Jun 15, 2004
  10. SNOman

    GraB Guest

    wrote:

    >Who made the dvd player that plays divx files that wa srecently
    >discussed in this group? and has anyone tried it?
    >
    >TIA

    I seem to remember Paradigm having them for about $350 some time ago.
    Can't remember the details.

    GraB, Jun 15, 2004
  11. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:19:54 +1200, A wrote:

    > What's the point? DVD writers are dirt cheap now. Is it hard to
    > convert from DivX to Mpeg2?

    Ten films on a single dvd instead of only 1 ?

    Also, unless you get a dual layer writer, some films will not fit on a
    single layer dvd iirc.

    Finally, blank cdr's are almost give away prices, bland DVD's are not.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Contrary to popular belief, Barnum's great discovery was not how easy it was to deceive the public, but rather, how much the public enjoyed being deceived.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

    Note: All comments are copyright 15/06/2004 9:26:35 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 15, 2004
  12. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:09:39 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I saw one somewhere (helpful huh?) that played DivX for $399 so they are
    > available in NZ.

    Digitrex GK-4000, ascent, $231, plays divx/xvid.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." -- Hector Louis Berlioz

    Note: All comments are copyright 15/06/2004 9:25:51 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 15, 2004
  13. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:50:43 +1200, SNOman wrote:

    > Apparently, It came from the NZ.comp thread and I think it was ascent
    > that was talked about as the website listing it.

    Check out the digitrex one (Digitrex GK-4000) on ascent's web site. $231,
    reportedly plays everything.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." -- Edward R. Murrow

    Note: All comments are copyright 15/06/2004 9:23:44 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 15, 2004
  14. SNOman

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Jun 15, 2004
  15. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:51:44 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:50:38 +1200, Brendan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:09:39 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I saw one somewhere (helpful huh?) that played DivX for $399 so they are
    >>> available in NZ.

    >>Digitrex GK-4000, ascent, $231, plays divx/xvid.

    > There was one on TradeMe but it got no bids.
    > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics/Home-theatre-stereo/DVD-players/auction-11666270.htm

    Probably asking too much for it. PLENTY of that goes on on trademe. Look at
    the prices of second hand hard drives - 90% of a new, bigger one! Mad.

    --

    .... Brendan

    communist, n: A person who questions the doctrine that the USA
    are God's chosen people, the Corporation is the One True Church, and that
    ownership of all human and natural resources (and copyrights/patents on
    all possible forms of human expression) throughout the world should by
    divine right be owned by US Corporations.

    Note: All comments are copyright 16/06/2004 12:17:41 a.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 15, 2004
  16. SNOman

    brundlefly Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Finally, blank cdr's are almost give away prices, bland DVD's are not.

    There are some pretty cheap deals on disks with Jim Carrey on though.

    brundlefly, Jun 15, 2004
  17. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:28:35 +1200, brundlefly wrote:

    >> Finally, blank cdr's are almost give away prices, bland DVD's are not.
    >>

    > There are some pretty cheap deals on disks with Jim Carrey on though.

    Not surprised. The man is usually an imbecile.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Children are naive -- they trust everyone. School is bad enough, but, if
    you put a child anywhere in the vicinity of a church, you're asking for
    trouble.

    Note: All comments are copyright 16/06/2004 12:47:52 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 16, 2004
  18. SNOman

    brundlefly Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:28:35 +1200, brundlefly wrote:
    >
    > >> Finally, blank cdr's are almost give away prices, bland DVD's are not.
    > >>

    > > There are some pretty cheap deals on disks with Jim Carrey on though.

    > Not surprised. The man is usually an imbecile.

    and bland too ;-)

    brundlefly, Jun 16, 2004
  19. SNOman

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:28:57 +1200, brundlefly wrote:

    > and bland too ;-)

    :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Advanced aliens not only don't want to HELP us, they don't even want
    to EAT us."
    -- Hellpope Huey

    Note: All comments are copyright 16/06/2004 2:54:48 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 16, 2004
  20. SNOman

    A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:50:37 +1200, Brendan
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:19:54 +1200, A wrote:
    >
    >> What's the point? DVD writers are dirt cheap now. Is it hard to
    >> convert from DivX to Mpeg2?

    >Ten films on a single dvd instead of only 1 ?

    True - never thought of that.

    >Also, unless you get a dual layer writer, some films will not fit on a
    >single layer dvd iirc.

    Use DVDShrink or the equivalent

    >Finally, blank cdr's are almost give away prices, bland DVD's are not.

    The cheapest blank CD-R's I can get are around 40c each. The cheapest
    blank DVD+R are $1.60. Ok that's 4 x the cost but at the end of the
    day its only $1.20.

    Personally I would rather have the added ability to chapter skip,
    subtitles, 5.1 sound even special features for an extra $1.20.

    I've been there, done that with SVCD. Maybe it was worth it back when
    DVD+R prices were high but not now.

    I guess if you download a lot of DivX content then it may be more
    convenient to just throw them on a CD-R or DVD+R.

    A, Jun 16, 2004