DivX codec. Where and how?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, May 19, 2004.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi all.

    I have a machine that I play DivX's on. It didn't used to play them until I
    installed Dr DivX, then I could play them through WMP. I prefer WMP for DivX
    (as opposed to the player that comes with Dr DivX) as it seems to read ahead
    better and caches more of the file from a CD, making playback smoother. Also
    it (WMP) disables the screensaver automatically when paying a file,
    something that the other player doesn't do.

    The machine needed to be reformatted and a fresh install of XP last night. I
    installed a couple of proggies and then had problems, tried to restore to
    the last point, just before installation, and it went right back to a point
    about a day after it was originally installed. (after giving me some
    messages about not being able to find files, may be corrupt... etc. Last
    time I trust System Restore, first time I've actually used it to restore, up
    until now I often make restore points when all is well, just in case.) All
    the folders for proggies were in 'program files' but no entries in
    start/programs or the registry. I decided on a clean start rather than a
    reinstall of proggies only. Annoying though. I lost my logs from DUMeter,
    just when I had several months worth of usage data to analyse so I could
    consider a 'broadband' option. (Yeah, I know, I probably could have copied
    it from the folder before the reinstall and then copied it back after. It
    was late at night and I just needed our internet connection machine back up
    and running ASAP and didn't think of it until this morning).

    Obviously when I installed Dr DivX previously I also installed the codec and
    WMP was able to use it. I don't want to be bothered installing Dr DivX on
    this machine, I don't use it for encoding as it's too slow for encoding but
    fine for playback (Celeron 600 Coppermine at 900Mhz, PCI and AGP busses in
    spec, Prime95 stable). I'd like to keep the install/software environment as
    clean as possible as it's my file server/internet connection machine/media
    centre. One eight gig drive with the OS and proggies and two HDD caddies
    (with 20GB drives in at the moment) with all my ripped mp3s, DivXs, pics
    etc. I rip on my main machine and transfer files to and play back on this
    one as it's connected to the stereo. I have Partition magic and Norton Ghost
    and am considering dividing the drive in two (if I can keep the install
    under 4GB) and mirroring the boot partition on the second half of the drive
    so I don't have to go through this again if an installed proggy decides to
    mess it up again. Any comments on that idea? I haven't used Ghost for
    anything other than copying everything to a new drive when upgrading before
    now so am not sure how to go about it, particularly the copying back, if I
    have to. <Thinking out loud; perhaps I sould copy to a different drive>

    So, the question. How do I install the codec *only* and where do I get it? I
    have Dr DivX on my main machine so the codec is there. Can I just copy it
    into a directory to the other machine? If so, where is it kept? If not, how
    do I do it?

    Thank you. Sorry for the epic post.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 19, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > I haven't used Ghost for
    > anything other than copying everything to a new drive when upgrading
    > before now so am not sure how to go about it, particularly the copying
    > back, if I have to. <Thinking out loud; perhaps I sould copy to a
    > different drive>
    >
    > So, the question. How do I install the codec *only* and where do I get
    > it? I have Dr DivX on my main machine so the codec is there. Can I
    > just copy it into a directory to the other machine? If so, where is it
    > kept? If not, how do I do it?
    >
    > Thank you. Sorry for the epic post.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    http://www.doom9.org
    Look for downloads, codecs, divx, 5.11 Basic codec only.
    http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    Codec only are your key words to look for.
    As far as the partitioning goes... Make your partition, use Ghost to
    copy Partition to Partition, not Drive to Partition, done. Make sure you
    do this by booting from different media than the stuff you are trying to
    clone, but I am sure you already knew that.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 19, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I haven't used Ghost for
    >> anything other than copying everything to a new drive when upgrading
    >> before now so am not sure how to go about it, particularly the
    >> copying back, if I have to. <Thinking out loud; perhaps I sould copy
    >> to a different drive>
    >>
    >> So, the question. How do I install the codec *only* and where do I
    >> get it? I have Dr DivX on my main machine so the codec is there. Can
    >> I just copy it into a directory to the other machine? If so, where
    >> is it kept? If not, how do I do it?
    >>
    >> Thank you. Sorry for the epic post.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > http://www.doom9.org
    > Look for downloads, codecs, divx, 5.11 Basic codec only.
    > http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    Thank you, that worked perfectly.

    > Codec only are your key words to look for.
    > As far as the partitioning goes... Make your partition, use Ghost to
    > copy Partition to Partition, not Drive to Partition, done. Make sure
    > you do this by booting from different media than the stuff you are
    > trying to clone, but I am sure you already knew that.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Cheers Dave.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 19, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    zed Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I have a machine that I play DivX's on. It didn't used to play them until I
    > installed Dr DivX, then I could play them through WMP. I prefer WMP for DivX
    > (as opposed to the player that comes with Dr DivX) as it seems to read ahead
    > better and caches more of the file from a CD, making playback smoother. Also
    > it (WMP) disables the screensaver automatically when paying a file,
    > something that the other player doesn't do.

    <snip>
    I was using the divx player that came with the Divx bundle from divx.com
    but found that if you scanned through a divx file the sound would go out
    of sync with the pictures and the only way of fixing it was to reload
    the file from start. For some reason I also couldn't get divx to work
    well in WMP. Is that just me - or is this a common problem? It might
    have been some setting that I have stuffed up.
    Since then I have only used Xine in Linux for DVD and Divx replay, with
    no problems.
    zed, May 19, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    zed wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> I have a machine that I play DivX's on. It didn't used to play them
    >> until I installed Dr DivX, then I could play them through WMP. I
    >> prefer WMP for DivX (as opposed to the player that comes with Dr
    >> DivX) as it seems to read ahead better and caches more of the file
    >> from a CD, making playback smoother. Also it (WMP) disables the
    >> screensaver automatically when paying a file, something that the
    >> other player doesn't do.
    >>

    > <snip>
    > I was using the divx player that came with the Divx bundle from
    > divx.com but found that if you scanned through a divx file the sound
    > would go out of sync with the pictures and the only way of fixing it
    > was to reload the file from start. For some reason I also couldn't
    > get divx to work well in WMP. Is that just me - or is this a common
    > problem? It might have been some setting that I have stuffed up.
    > Since then I have only used Xine in Linux for DVD and Divx replay,
    > with no problems.

    I haven't noticed this phenomena with WMP, then again I don't scan through
    them much. I pretty much just start 'em and watch 'em.

    As I mentioned earlier, IME WMP is great from reading Divxs from CDs,
    especially in slower drives. I tried watching one using Dr Divx's player
    from CDR and it was so stuttery it was virtually impossible to watch and the
    drive was flashing it's LED like morse-code and whirring it's head off.
    Tried it with WMP and it was smooth as silk, the CD drive seemed to read in
    'burst mode', read for 10 seconds or so, then idle, then read again. It
    seems that WMP buffers the data better. I guess that could be the cause of
    the problem you discovered as well, the data being read from a buffer rather
    than the disk and the buffer getting corrupted when scanning through.
    <shrug>
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 19, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:05:54 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >So, the question. How do I install the codec *only* and where do I get it? I
    >have Dr DivX on my main machine so the codec is there. Can I just copy it
    >into a directory to the other machine? If so, where is it kept? If not, how
    >do I do it?

    You can download the codec from www.divx.com
    It comes with their player, but from memory when you run the install you can
    choose what to install (the codec and/or the player).
    Once you install the codec it will work in most video playing software you have
    installed.

    http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe
    Craig Shore, May 19, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:12:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> http://www.doom9.org
    >> Look for downloads, codecs, divx, 5.11 Basic codec only.
    >> http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    > Thank you, that worked perfectly.

    You could also use the file klcodec210f.exe - kazaa lite codec pack. A pile
    of codecs nicely tied up with an installer program. Has divx. Has a program
    called gspot - handy little program that identifies what codec a video file
    needs.

    --

    .... Brendan

    LAWYER, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All comments are copyright 19/05/2004 11:01:29 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, May 19, 2004
  8. zed <> wrote:
    > I was using the divx player that came with the Divx bundle from divx.com
    > but found that if you scanned through a divx file the sound would go out
    > of sync with the pictures and the only way of fixing it was to reload
    > the file from start.

    Is this with a file on your local HD? from where?
    Ppl have had the same trouble with streamed QuickTime.
    Seems the problem is related to the way the hint track
    is created and multiplexed into the file/stream.

    > For some reason I also couldn't get divx to work
    > well in WMP. Is that just me - or is this a common problem? It might
    > have been some setting that I have stuffed up.

    WMP is known not to play "industry standard" files from
    other sources, so it could be expected that it might
    refuse "industry standard" codecs not made in Redmond WA.
    J.Random Luser, May 19, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    zed Guest

    J.Random Luser wrote:
    > zed <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was using the divx player that came with the Divx bundle from divx.com
    >>but found that if you scanned through a divx file the sound would go out
    >>of sync with the pictures and the only way of fixing it was to reload
    >>the file from start.

    > Is this with a file on your local HD? from where?
    > Ppl have had the same trouble with streamed QuickTime.
    > Seems the problem is related to the way the hint track
    > is created and multiplexed into the file/stream.

    Yes - a file on the HD. Encoded with DivX5.1 / DVDX. Maybe I stuffed
    something up in the encoding - athough the same file is fine in Linux /
    Xine, or generally fine in the DivX player - except for the audio sync
    problem.

    >>For some reason I also couldn't get divx to work
    >>well in WMP. Is that just me - or is this a common problem? It might
    >>have been some setting that I have stuffed up.

    Just had another look - and I can open a divx file in WMP, the sound is
    great but the video is terrible - lines and ghosting like a TV set on
    the blink.

    zed, May 19, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:05:54 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> So, the question. How do I install the codec *only* and where do I
    >> get it? I have Dr DivX on my main machine so the codec is there. Can
    >> I just copy it into a directory to the other machine? If so, where
    >> is it kept? If not, how do I do it?

    > You can download the codec from www.divx.com
    > It comes with their player, but from memory when you run the install
    > you can choose what to install (the codec and/or the player).
    > Once you install the codec it will work in most video playing
    > software you have installed.
    >
    > http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    Thanks Craig, I've got it now. I had the chioce and chose not to install the
    player.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:12:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.doom9.org
    >>> Look for downloads, codecs, divx, 5.11 Basic codec only.
    >>> http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    >> Thank you, that worked perfectly.

    > You could also use the file klcodec210f.exe - kazaa lite codec pack.
    > A pile of codecs nicely tied up with an installer program. Has divx.
    > Has a program called gspot - handy little program that identifies
    > what codec a video file needs.

    Thanks, I have it working now but I may just grab that codec pack anyway.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:12:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.doom9.org
    >>> Look for downloads, codecs, divx, 5.11 Basic codec only.
    >>> http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511.exe

    >> Thank you, that worked perfectly.

    > You could also use the file klcodec210f.exe - kazaa lite codec pack.
    > A pile of codecs nicely tied up with an installer program. Has divx.
    > Has a program called gspot - handy little program that identifies
    > what codec a video file needs.

    BTW, this reinstall was due to me installing kazaa lite (Kazaa lite K++) on
    my internet connection/sharing machine and it stuffing things up. The
    machine would still connect but I had trouble actually getting data (emails,
    newsgroups, browsing) on my other machines on the LAN. I'd have to keep
    disconnecting and re-connecting, then it would work for a while. What's up
    with that? Any ideas?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004