    compression technology improves, Divix will rival DVD quality within two or
    three years and these units will become cheaper and more plentiful.
    Thoughts? Experience with current units?

    Mook23, May 23, 2004

  2. Mook23

    Biz Guest

    "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message
    news:3Z7sc.6480$...
    > Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a legal
    > battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one seemed to be
    > working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD player that

    decoded
    > MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good car decks and portable units
    > are available for under $100 at any electronics store. So, now that AVI
    > files have become the standard for movie file sharing, it seems logical

    that
    > someone would come out with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the
    > Divix codec. Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at
    > least a few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    > really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion and disk
    > types. A complete solution, however, would include some sort of a

    firmware
    > upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from static. So, as the
    > compression technology improves, Divix will rival DVD quality within two

    or
    > three years and these units will become cheaper and more plentiful.
    > Thoughts? Experience with current units?

    DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet. And honestly, anything that makes it
    easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely against. A big
    possibility is that the next *DVD* format may be mpeg4.

    Biz, May 23, 2004

  3. Mook23

    gaffo Guest

    Mook23 wrote:

    > Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a legal
    > battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one seemed to be
    > working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD player that decoded
    > MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good car decks and portable units
    > are available for under $100 at any electronics store. So, now that AVI
    > files have become the standard for movie file sharing, it seems logical that
    > someone would come out with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the
    > Divix codec. Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at
    > least a few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    > really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion and disk
    > types. A complete solution, however, would include some sort of a firmware
    > upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from static. So, as the
    > compression technology improves, Divix will rival DVD quality within two or
    > three years and these units will become cheaper and more plentiful.
    > Thoughts? Experience with current units?

    goto www.divx.com

    than the "forum" than "hardware" thread.......and read up.

    three chips on all of them (most are still only in Europe (the best chip
    is only in Europe - the Mediatek one.

    1. el cheapo ESS chip.

    Chinese/korean Walmart specials sue this chip. Players start at 50 bucks
    and go up. The better ones using the ESS chip (witch BTW is weak)
    includes Philips and Lite-on.

    I cannot recommend the ESS chip. Q-pel nor B-frames nor the other
    "fancier" options used in Divx files are NOT supported. this means the
    file will not play on DVD players using the ESS chip.

    2. Sigma Designs chip. Old tech. 2-yrs old. Has compatability troubles
    with some versions of Divx files. not recommended.

    3. Mediatek - this is the one!! Supports ALL Divx options and versions
    and is more powerful than the ESS chip. Sadly only Elsa offers a Palye
    with this chip - and only in Europe!!!!!!.................TRY TO BUY
    THIS PLAYER HERE IN THE US!.............I tried and gave up. MPAA lobby
    is too powerful, you cannot buy a mediatek based DVD palyer in the US,
    though they are easy to buy if you live in Europe.

    Philips is suppose to release their mediatek based DVD player
    NOW.............but with the way the media lobby is.............you may
    never actually see them within the terroritial bounderies of the US.

    good luck............you ............will........need it.

    If you find a regionless, macrovisionless and divx able player let me
    know. I've been wating to buy my first DVD player for 5 yrs now (one
    without all the copyprotect garbage on it).

    I support freedom.

    --
    http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

    http://www.truthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

    "But I believe in torture and I will torture you."
    -An American soldier shares the joys of Democracy with
    an Iraqi prisoner.

    "My mother praises me for fighting the Americans. If we are killed,
    our wives and mothers will rejoice that we died defending the
    freedom of our country.
    -Iraqi Mahdi fighter

    "We were bleeding from 3 a.m. until sunrise, soon American soldiers came.
    One of them kicked me to see if I was alive. I pretended I was dead
    so he wouldn't kill me. The soldier was laughing, when Yousef cried,
    the soldier said: "'No, stop,"
    -Shihab, survivor of USSA bombing of Iraqi wedding.

    "the absolute convergence of the neoconservatives with the Christian
    Zionists
    and the pro-Israel lobby, driving U.S. Mideast policy."
    -Don Wagner, an evangelical South Carolina minister

    "Bush, in Austin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
    the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
    for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,' Bush said."
    Houston Chronicle 4/9/99

    "Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to
    destabilize their country."
    Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

    "The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
    of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major
    incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized
    to deal with this?'"
    - Paul Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference
    on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

    "On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to use
    his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hussein's regime
    the "aim of American foreign policy" and to use military action because
    "diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
    would "offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor."
    Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
    Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, Richard L. Armitage, Jeffrey
    Bergner,
    Paula Dobriansky, Francis Fukuyama, Zalmay Khalilzad, Peter W. Rodman,
    William Schneider, Jr., Vin Weber, R. James Woolsey and Robert B. Zoellick,
    Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz. Four years before 9/11, the neocons had
    Baghdad on their minds."
    -philip (usenet)

    "I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
    -Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

    "I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up
    and running
    - to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
    back, if I can put it that way,
    or limited by them, It's sovereignty but [some] of that sovereignty they
    are going to allow us to exercise
    on their behalf and with their permission."
    - Powell 4/27/04

    "We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
    are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
    obviously are not going well. You're going to have good days and bad days."
    On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
    moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
    moments."
    - Rumsfeld 4/6/04

    "I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this
    country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to
    every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on
    the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread
    of freedom."
    ~ Bush the Crusader

    RUSSERT: Are you prepared to lose?

    BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

    RUSSERT: If you did, what would you do?

    BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
    do for the country.
    See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
    changing times
    here in America, too., 2/8/04

    "And that's very important for, I think, the people to understand where
    I'm coming from,
    to know that this is a dangerous world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
    president.
    I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
    war on my mind.
    - pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

    "Let's talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We know that
    based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
    these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
    he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons.
    And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
    - Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

    "I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
    Iraqis had nuclear weapons."
    - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 6/24/03

    "I think in this case international law
    stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
    - Richard Perle

    "He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
    respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
    conventional power against his neighbours."
    - Colin Powell February 24 2001

    "We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
    him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

    "He threatens not the United States."

    "But I also thought that we had pretty
    much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

    'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
    for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
    keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
    "look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
    - Colin Powell February 26 2001

    gaffo, May 26, 2004
  4. Mook23

    gaffo Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a legal
    >>battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one seemed to be
    >>working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD player that

    > decoded
    >
    >>MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good car decks and portable units
    >>are available for under $100 at any electronics store. So, now that AVI
    >>files have become the standard for movie file sharing, it seems logical

    > that
    >
    >>someone would come out with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the
    >>Divix codec. Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at
    >>least a few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    >>really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion and disk
    >>types. A complete solution, however, would include some sort of a

    > firmware
    >
    >>upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from static. So, as the
    >>compression technology improves, Divix will rival DVD quality within two

    > or
    >
    >>three years and these units will become cheaper and more plentiful.
    >>Thoughts? Experience with current units?
    >>

    > DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet.

    yes it is - only the player are still beta. the file format is now clean
    and stable. Divx 5.1 is nice.

    And honestly, anything that makes it
    > easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely against.

    I support sharing - legal or illegal.

    A big
    > possibility is that the next *DVD* format may be mpeg4.

    Yes. Mpeg4 does not give quite the quality of mpeg2 - there are
    noticabel artifacts, and the optimum quality seems to be around 1/2 the
    size of mpeg2. But the practical optimum quality seems to be around 1/4
    the size of mpeg2 (with 90-percent DVD quality).

    Since even BlueRay will not have enough storage space to hold an HDTV
    mpeg2 file of two hrs lengh, they will be forced to used mpeg4 (NOT
    because it will give a better picture (will WON'T - it will give a worse
    picture) for future movies.

    Note that DVHS tapedeck record HDTV in mpeg2 file format. I assume the
    DHVHS tape can hold more data than a BluRay disc.

    peace.

    gaffo, May 26, 2004
  5. Mook23

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message
    >> Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a
    >> legal battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one
    >> seemed to be working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD
    >> player that decoded MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good
    >> car decks and portable units are available for under $100 at any
    >> electronics store. So, now that AVI files have become the standard
    >> for movie file sharing, it seems logical that someone would come out
    >> with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the Divix codec.
    >> Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at least a
    >> few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    >> really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion
    >> and disk types. A complete solution, however, would include some
    >> sort of a firmware upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from
    >> static. So, as the compression technology improves, Divix will
    >> rival DVD quality within two or three years and these units will
    >> become cheaper and more plentiful. Thoughts? Experience with
    >> current units?

    > DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet. And honestly, anything that
    > makes it easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely
    > against.

    So then you're basically against all legitimate tools, since they can all
    assist in thievery. Heck, you may as well be against the standard
    screwdriver, because it can help people burglar homes - do you see the
    complete lack of logic in your statement?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 26, 2004
  6. Mook23

    Biz Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > Biz wrote:
    > > "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message
    > >> Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a
    > >> legal battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one
    > >> seemed to be working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD
    > >> player that decoded MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good
    > >> car decks and portable units are available for under $100 at any
    > >> electronics store. So, now that AVI files have become the standard
    > >> for movie file sharing, it seems logical that someone would come out
    > >> with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the Divix codec.
    > >> Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at least a
    > >> few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    > >> really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion
    > >> and disk types. A complete solution, however, would include some
    > >> sort of a firmware upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from
    > >> static. So, as the compression technology improves, Divix will
    > >> rival DVD quality within two or three years and these units will
    > >> become cheaper and more plentiful. Thoughts? Experience with
    > >> current units?

    > > DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet. And honestly, anything that
    > > makes it easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely
    > > against.

    > So then you're basically against all legitimate tools, since they can all
    > assist in thievery. Heck, you may as well be against the standard
    > screwdriver, because it can help people burglar homes - do you see the
    > complete lack of logic in your statement?
    >
    > Mike

    Until mpeg4 became popular, illegal file sharing on the internet was very
    minimal. If every Joe SixPack can play his downloaded divx on a standalone
    player, the problem will just get worse. Plus the rolling standard is a
    pain in the a**. If you're not part of the solution, then I suppose you are
    part of the problem. If you don't like my posts, filter me out then.

    Biz, May 26, 2004
  7. Mook23

    Mook23 Guest

    > Until mpeg4 became popular, illegal file sharing on the internet was very
    > minimal. If every Joe SixPack can play his downloaded divx on a

    standalone
    > player, the problem will just get worse. Plus the rolling standard is a
    > pain in the a**. If you're not part of the solution, then I suppose you

    are
    > part of the problem. If you don't like my posts, filter me out then.

    When companies attempt to give the consumers good value for their money,
    I'll buy. When I want to support an independant producer or distributor,
    I'll buy. However, there's a ton of stuff on programs like e-mule that are
    not currently available in North America in any format. What exactly is the
    problem that you feel we're not solving here?

    Mook23, May 27, 2004
  8. Mook23

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >> Biz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet. And honestly, anything that
    >>> makes it easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely
    >>> against.

    >> So then you're basically against all legitimate tools, since they
    >> can all assist in thievery. Heck, you may as well be against the
    >> standard screwdriver, because it can help people burglar homes - do
    >> you see the complete lack of logic in your statement?

    > Until mpeg4 became popular, illegal file sharing on the internet was
    > very minimal. If every Joe SixPack can play his downloaded divx on a
    > standalone player, the problem will just get worse.

    But that's not the fault of mpg4. You're misplacing the blame.

    > If you're not part of the solution,
    > then I suppose you are part of the problem.

    You can't be serious. Jpeg is the preferred format of child pornographers -
    do you think the jpeg format should be banned?

    > If you don't like my
    > posts, filter me out then.

    ???

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 27, 2004
  9. Mook23

    GMAN Guest

    In article <GhUsc.890$>, gaffo <> wrote:
    >Biz wrote:
    >
    >> "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Back in the days when the first MP3 players were surfacing (after a legal
    >>>battle, I might add) I was astonished at the fact that no one seemed to be
    >>>working on the obvious hardware solution, a hardware CD player that

    >> decoded
    >>
    >>>MP3. Well, now they're standard on most good car decks and portable units
    >>>are available for under $100 at any electronics store. So, now that AVI
    >>>files have become the standard for movie file sharing, it seems logical

    >> that
    >>
    >>>someone would come out with a DVD hardware player capable of reading the
    >>>Divix codec. Aparently, there are a few companies working on this and at
    >>>least a few units on the market that can currently do the job. It seems
    >>>really great to me. No more dealing with all sorts of conversion and disk
    >>>types. A complete solution, however, would include some sort of a

    >> firmware
    >>
    >>>upgrade option as the Divix codec is far from static. So, as the
    >>>compression technology improves, Divix will rival DVD quality within two

    >> or
    >>
    >>>three years and these units will become cheaper and more plentiful.
    >>>Thoughts? Experience with current units?
    >>>

    >> DivX (MPEG4) is not quite ready yet.

    >yes it is - only the player are still beta. the file format is now clean
    >and stable. Divx 5.1 is nice.
    >

    >And honestly, anything that makes it
    >> easier for people to illegally share files, I'm completely against.

    >I support sharing - legal or illegal.
    >

    > A big
    >> possibility is that the next *DVD* format may be mpeg4.

    >Yes. Mpeg4 does not give quite the quality of mpeg2 - there are
    >noticabel artifacts, and the optimum quality seems to be around 1/2 the
    >size of mpeg2. But the practical optimum quality seems to be around 1/4
    >the size of mpeg2 (with 90-percent DVD quality).
    >
    >Since even BlueRay will not have enough storage space to hold an HDTV
    >mpeg2 file of two hrs lengh, they will be forced to used mpeg4 (NOT
    >because it will give a better picture (will WON'T - it will give a worse
    >picture) for future movies.
    >
    >Note that DVHS tapedeck record HDTV in mpeg2 file format. I assume the
    >DHVHS tape can hold more data than a BluRay disc.
    >

    >peace.

    Jesus H, cut that political diatribe off of your posts. Its not very cool to
    have a 75 line long signature.

    GMAN, May 30, 2004