Ditch Minolta SLR kit for Canon DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gazza, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. gazza

    gazza Guest

    Dear group,

    I have had a surprise £800 back from the tax man this year, and I
    think it is my duty to spend it! I'm very tempted to buy the Canon
    D300 + 18-55. I have a big dilema however because I'm a Minolta SLR
    owner.

    I don't exactly have ££££'s worth of kit:
    Minolta 500Si Super
    24mm AF f2.8 Sigma
    28-80mm AF f3.5-5.6 Sigma
    70-300mm AF f4-5.6LD Tamron
    Jessops Minolta dedicated flash gun.

    To help me, there is one key question I'd like to ask the group:

    Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    If not then a switch to Canon is on the cards. If I then decide to
    buy the Canon it would be nice to get a telephoto zoom to go with it.
    The camera + supplied lens eats up my £800, so I would probably sell
    my Minolta kit. Any ideas what the going rate would be for it?

    Regards,
    Gary Pearson.

    gazza, Dec 8, 2003

  2. gazza

    Iain Pendry Guest

    Keep your SLR kit - you'll get so little for it that it's just not worth
    parting with it. I've got a Minolta Dynax 600si sitting in it's bag in the
    loft that I'll probably never use again, but these days you can't give the
    damn things away. Besides, I still haven't given up hope that some bright
    spark will produce a digital back for the camera, or that at least Minolta
    will produce a decent digital SLR that I can afford....

    Best Regards

    Iain

    Iain Pendry, Dec 8, 2003

  3. On 8 Dec 2003 11:12:36 -0800, (gazza)
    wrote:

    >Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    >comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    There is a *rumour* that Minolta is coming out with a DSLR next year,
    but it is just that; a rumour, and even then the details are *very*
    scarce about specifications etc. It may be a camera, it may be a
    range of cameras. It/they may take on the Canon 300D, it/they may
    not. It may also be that it will be a ground-up digital design that
    requires a completely new set of lenses, so you'd be no better off
    than if you had gone for the Canon now, except you'll miss the extra
    time with the camera.

    You don't give any idea about timescales, but I'd say the best thing
    to do would be to wait until PMA at the end of February 2004 and see
    what gets announced there. Nikon will certainly have more info on its
    D70 out, Canon is heavily rumoured to be releasing new model(s?) which
    may mean some price cuts, and if Minolta does have anything up its
    sleeve, then they should be eager to join the fray. Until then, keep
    and eye on the groups and websites and see what happens.

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Dec 8, 2003
  4. gazza

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (gazza)

    >Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    >comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    Probably not. If you want to hold out a couple more months wait until the big
    show in February and if there still is no Minolta official announcement then
    I'd say sell and move on.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 8, 2003
  5. gazza

    NJH Guest

    "gazza" <> wrote in message
    [ . . . ]

    > Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    > comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    Probably. I would say it's inevitable sooner or later, and 2004 seems a very
    likely year for it.

    > If not then a switch to Canon is on the cards. If I then decide to
    > buy the Canon it would be nice to get a telephoto zoom to go with it.
    > The camera + supplied lens eats up my £800, so I would probably sell
    > my Minolta kit. Any ideas what the going rate would be for it?

    I think you'd be better off keeping your Minolta gear. Used 35mm SLRs and
    their lenses aren't exactly selling like hotcakes now, and you'd likely take
    a big beating on price. Your lenses will probably work fine on the Minolta
    DSLR series when it does appear, you may not really want to give up film
    entirely (I'm not!) and the 500si is a very nice little SLR.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 8, 2003
  6. gazza

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Since none of your lenses are Minolta you would not be losing much to make
    the shift. I would suggest you try the D300 first to see if you can get
    along with the interface. The 10D has the rear thumb dial which is the
    electronic equivalent (and a better way to do it too) of the aperture ring.
    With the D300 you have to push a button to change the shutter dial to the
    aperture dial. This is the reason I've never owned a Rebel (My wife did
    though). It might seem like a small point but you really should check.
    Interface is everything.
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 8, 2003
  7. gazza

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I concur with the business about waiting until PMA -- Late Feb. Let the
    money rest in a bank until then unless you HAVE TO HAVE a new camera today.

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 8, 2003
  8. gazza

    gazza Guest

    Thanks for the replies so far. I think the suggestion from Andy about
    waiting until PMA 2004 makes sense. It is not too long a wait, will
    give an indication of Minolta's plans for the next year and in the
    mean time the D300 will probably have come down in price a little
    anyway.

    Keeping my kit also makes sense in a depressed used SLR market... I
    had just hoped that it might have made enough to cover the cost of a
    new Canon lens.

    Still interested to hear any other points of view though.

    Gary.

    gazza, Dec 8, 2003
  9. gazza

    Alan Browne Guest

    gazza wrote:

    > Dear group,
    >

    > Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    > comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    I concur with Bill and Tony over waiting for announcements early next
    year (although I'm not sure what show they're talking about).

    A letter I received from Minolta suggests says they will indicate their
    DSLR (or not) direction in the "early part of next year."

    If Minolta blow it, they will have reflex rebellion and angry customers
    who will buy anything but Minolta following that (incl. me).

    The drop in price of several Minolta film products such as the Maxxum 7
    & 9 and the low price of products like the A1 suggest that Minolta are
    in a very tight spot.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 9, 2003
  10. gazza

    Christian Guest

    gazza wrote:

    > Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    > comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    Maybe. But it almost certainly won't be as good when it comes to the
    quality of the images.

    Christian, Dec 9, 2003
  11. gazza

    Lansbury Guest

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:38:57 -0000, "Iain Pendry" <>
    wrote:

    >Keep your SLR kit - you'll get so little for it that it's just not worth
    >parting with it.

    Have to diasgree. Just sold my Minolta kit on ebay at quite a good
    price. More than enough to buy a couple of Canon EF lenses.

    --
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net

    Lansbury, Dec 9, 2003
  12. gazza

    Jeremy Guest

    --
    x-no-archive: yes
    "Lansbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:38:57 -0000, "Iain Pendry" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Keep your SLR kit - you'll get so little for it that it's just not worth
    > >parting with it.

    > Have to diasgree. Just sold my Minolta kit on ebay at quite a good
    > price. More than enough to buy a couple of Canon EF lenses.
    >
    > --
    > Lansbury
    > www.uk-air.net
    > FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

    I would recommend keeping the film gear. I found myself going back to film
    partially, after having gotten my digital gear.

    The initial inclination is to ditch film entirely, but some of us have found
    that we still want to use our film equipment, after the novelty of digital
    cameras has worn off.

    Just my 2-cents worth . . .

    Jeremy, Dec 9, 2003
  13. gazza

    Alan Browne Guest

    Christian wrote:

    > gazza wrote:
    >

    >>Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    >>comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?

    > Maybe. But it almost certainly won't be as good when it comes to the
    > quality of the images.

    And how do you know that?

    Alan Browne, Dec 9, 2003
  14. gazza

    Alan Browne Guest

    Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > Since none of your lenses are Minolta you would not be losing much to make
    > the shift.

    His lenses will only fit a Minolta mount.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 9, 2003
  15. gazza

    Iain Pendry Guest

    I suppose it's what you define as a good price

    I think I'd be lucky to get 25% of what I paid for the kit (Dynax 600si,
    Control Grip, Sigma 28-70, 30-300, Minolta 50mm f1.7) - probably cost me
    £600 plus, doubt I'd get £150. For that kind of depreciation it can stay in
    the loft on the offchance I might use it again.

    For the record, what did you sell, how much did you pay for it and how much
    did you sell it for?

    Iain Pendry, Dec 9, 2003
  16. gazza

    Lansbury Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:32:49 -0000, "Iain Pendry" <>
    wrote:

    >For the record, what did you sell, how much did you pay for it and how much
    >did you sell it for?

    A 700si body and three lenses, one Sigma and 2 Minolta. The lenses were
    ten years old at least, so I don't remember now what I paid for them
    new. The body was £150 new

    It paid for a new Canon 28-135 IS USM and a mint Canon 50mm f1.8 with a
    bit of change left over. So on those terms I think it was a reasonable
    return.

    Lansbury, Dec 10, 2003
  17. gazza

    NJH Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > gazza wrote:
    >
    > > Dear group,
    > >

    > > Is it likely that Minolta will release a DSLR in 2004 that is
    > > comparable in price and features to the Canon D300?
    > >

    > I concur with Bill and Tony over waiting for announcements early next
    > year (although I'm not sure what show they're talking about).
    >
    > A letter I received from Minolta suggests says they will indicate their
    > DSLR (or not) direction in the "early part of next year."
    >
    > If Minolta blow it, they will have reflex rebellion and angry customers
    > who will buy anything but Minolta following that (incl. me).
    >
    > The drop in price of several Minolta film products such as the Maxxum 7
    > & 9 and the low price of products like the A1 suggest that Minolta are
    > in a very tight spot.

    I don't see how that follows.

    If Minolta products are selling well, volume production and economies of
    scale will allow them to lower prices and thus gain more market share, it
    seems to me. Clearly some of their cameras have sold *very* well (the DiMAGE
    S404 was popularly thought to be discontinued when in fact it was just sold
    out, and Minolta had to make another production run), and Minolta is now
    running TV ads for the Z1, the first time I've seen the company advertise in
    this way.

    I don't know anything about Minolta's business or prospects; I'm just
    questioning the idea that their lowering prices implies they are "in a very
    tight spot."

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 13, 2003
  18. gazza

    Alan Browne Guest

    NJH wrote:

    >>The drop in price of several Minolta film products such as the Maxxum 7
    >>& 9 and the low price of products like the A1 suggest that Minolta are
    >>in a very tight spot.

    > I don't see how that follows.
    >
    > If Minolta products are selling well, volume production and economies of
    > scale will allow them to lower prices and thus gain more market share, it
    > seems to me. Clearly some of their cameras have sold *very* well (the DiMAGE
    > S404 was popularly thought to be discontinued when in fact it was just sold
    > out, and Minolta had to make another production run), and Minolta is now
    > running TV ads for the Z1, the first time I've seen the company advertise in
    > this way.
    >
    > I don't know anything about Minolta's business or prospects; I'm just
    > questioning the idea that their lowering prices implies they are "in a very
    > tight spot."

    Just my opinion (I said "suggest") that drastic lowering of prices
    erodes margins to a greater degree than the recovery on volume
    efficiencies (if they occur) and does not gain that much market share...
    a desperation ploy. I have no idea how profitable they are and now that
    the Minolta group and Konica groups have been re-aligned within K-M,
    there is little way to tell.

    If they are running ads for the Z1 that is in fact good news...means
    they're putting a more serious marketing effort into it. They have
    booked a good chunk of floor at the PMA and will be showing their
    entrant DSLR there ... so good news ... to me.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 14, 2003
  19. gazza

    > NJH wrote:
    >

    > >>The drop in price of several Minolta film products such as the Maxxum 7
    > >>& 9 and the low price of products like the A1 suggest that Minolta are
    > >>in a very tight spot.

    > > I don't see how that follows.
    > >
    > > If Minolta products are selling well, volume production and economies of
    > > scale will allow them to lower prices and thus gain more market share,

    it
    > > seems to me. Clearly some of their cameras have sold *very* well (the

    DiMAGE
    > > S404 was popularly thought to be discontinued when in fact it was just

    sold
    > > out, and Minolta had to make another production run), and Minolta is now
    > > running TV ads for the Z1, the first time I've seen the company

    advertise in
    > > this way.
    > >
    > > I don't know anything about Minolta's business or prospects; I'm just
    > > questioning the idea that their lowering prices implies they are "in a

    very
    > > tight spot."

    > Just my opinion (I said "suggest") that drastic lowering of prices
    > erodes margins to a greater degree than the recovery on volume
    > efficiencies (if they occur) and does not gain that much market share...
    > a desperation ploy. I have no idea how profitable they are and now that
    > the Minolta group and Konica groups have been re-aligned within K-M,
    > there is little way to tell.
    >
    > If they are running ads for the Z1 that is in fact good news...means
    > they're putting a more serious marketing effort into it. They have
    > booked a good chunk of floor at the PMA and will be showing their
    > entrant DSLR there ... so good news ... to me.

    I agree. Aggressive marketing seems to be what has made Canon so successful;
    I can't see that their hardware has anything that Minolta's doesn't in the
    way of quality, performance or advanced technology (apart from having some
    more exotic lenses, which I doubt are of much importance to the general
    market).

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 14, 2003
  20. gazza

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "NJH" ks

    > Aggressive marketing seems to be what has made Canon so successful;
    >I can't see that their hardware has anything that Minolta's doesn't in the
    >way of quality, performance or advanced technology

    IS lenses, tilt/shift lenses, wider selection of lenses, four different dSLR
    models currently in production that accept all the EF lenses.

    Yeah, it's all marketing smoke and mirrors I guess :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 14, 2003