Distubing Trend "Rental only DVDs"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob D., Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Bob D.

    Bob D. Guest

    More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather plain look
    and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4 format and have
    inferior video quality. Examples of this are:

    National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and Scanned"
    with a hand held camera.)
    Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the theater.)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better over-the-air on late night
    TV.)

    I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial versions.

    My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality "rental"
    versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public becomes dissatisfied
    with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood sells more DVDs and
    makes more money.

    --
    Bob D.
    Bob D., Feb 17, 2005

  2. "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather plain
    > look and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4 format and
    > have inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    >
    > National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    > The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and Scanned"
    > with a hand held camera.)
    > Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the
    > theater.)
    > Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better over-the-air on late night
    > TV.)
    >
    > I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial versions.
    >
    > My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality
    > "rental" versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public becomes
    > dissatisfied with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood sells
    > more DVDs and makes more money.

    It might also have something to do with piracy concerns. Either way, that
    is disturbing!!!
    Patrick Michael, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Bob D.

    kaydigi Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather plain
    > look and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4 format and
    > have inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    >
    > National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    > The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and Scanned"
    > with a hand held camera.)
    > Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the
    > theater.)
    > Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better over-the-air on late night
    > TV.)
    >
    > I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial versions.
    >
    > My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality
    > "rental" versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public becomes
    > dissatisfied with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood sells
    > more DVDs and makes more money.
    >
    > --
    > Bob D.

    Superman TAS is the same way also.
    kaydigi, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Bob D.

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:16:38 GMT, "Bob D." <>
    wrote:

    >More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather plain look
    >and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4 format and have
    >inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    >
    > National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    > The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and Scanned"
    >with a hand held camera.)
    > Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the theater.)
    > Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better over-the-air on late night
    >TV.)
    >
    >I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial versions.
    >
    >My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality "rental"
    >versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public becomes dissatisfied
    >with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood sells more DVDs and
    >makes more money.

    Honestly, things haven't changed so much since laserdisc. I remember
    how it was; All horror and comedies for the most part came as 4:3
    pressings. You look at the selection of DVDs in a Walmart for
    instance; They shelves are riddled with $5.00 DVDs from unknown
    companies. Some (I've seen a few) were clearly VHS dubs. Pretty
    pathetic, but I think the the industry knows the market for
    feature-laden and excellent quality DVDs is strong so if you are
    buying, you should be ok. For rentals, well companies like Velocity
    make me worry.
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Bob D.

    Zimmy Guest

    You are wrong.

    Every one you mention have 4:3 (non anamorphic) transfers. Netflix probably
    doesn't have the new version of Vacation.

    Every "Rental Only" I have is the same exact transfer that you can but from
    the store.
    You are kidding yourself if you think the studios are wasting money creating
    inferior masters to piss off renters.

    Zimmy, Feb 17, 2005
  6. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:09:04 -0500, "Zimmy" <> wrote:

    >You are wrong.
    >
    >Every one you mention have 4:3 (non anamorphic) transfers. Netflix probably
    >doesn't have the new version of Vacation.
    >
    >Every "Rental Only" I have is the same exact transfer that you can but from
    >the store.
    >You are kidding yourself if you think the studios are wasting money creating
    >inferior masters to piss off renters.

    Conspiracy Theory Number 654,234,297.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Bob D.

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather
    > plain look and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4
    > format and have inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    >
    > National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    > The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and
    > Scanned" with a hand held camera.)
    > Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the
    > theater.) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better
    > over-the-air on late night TV.)
    >
    > I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial
    > versions.
    > My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality
    > "rental" versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public becomes
    > dissatisfied with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood
    > sells more DVDs and makes more money.

    The "public" doesn't know a "rental version" from a retail version. If
    they rent a movie and it looks bad they're not going to buy another copy
    somewhere else.

    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Bob D.

    Ed Kim Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > > More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather
    > > plain look and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in

    3x4
    > > format and have inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    > >
    > > National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    > > The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and
    > > Scanned" with a hand held camera.)
    > > Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the
    > > theater.) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better
    > > over-the-air on late night TV.)
    > >
    > > I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial
    > > versions.
    > > My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality
    > > "rental" versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public

    becomes
    > > dissatisfied with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead. Hollywood
    > > sells more DVDs and makes more money.

    > The "public" doesn't know a "rental version" from a retail version.

    If
    > they rent a movie and it looks bad they're not going to buy another

    copy
    > somewhere else.

    i can imagine a world where the studios produce a rental only dvd with
    BUGS in the corner saying things like "For Rental Only" or "20th
    Century Fox Rental dvd" and with a big forced RENTAL ONLY logo at hte
    beginning.

    yikes.

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Feb 20, 2005
  9. Bob D.

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Ed Kim" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister wrote:
    >> "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >>> More and more of the DVDs I'm getting from NetFlick have a rather
    >>> plain look and are marked "Rental Only". These are invariably in 3x4
    >>> format and have inferior video quality. Examples of this are:
    >>>
    >>> National Lampoon's Vacation (Grainy)
    >>> The Man with Two Brains (Actually looks like it was "Pan and
    >>> Scanned" with a hand held camera.)
    >>> Young Frankenstein (I don't remember the film scratches at the
    >>> theater.) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Looks better
    >>> over-the-air on late night TV.)
    >>>
    >>> I know at least some of these have 16x9 high quality commercial
    >>> versions.
    >>> My humble theory - Hollywood is selling NetFlix these poor quality
    >>> "rental" versions at a price NetFlix can't resist. The public
    >>> becomes dissatisfied with "rental" quality and buys DVDs instead.
    >>> Hollywood sells more DVDs and makes more money.

    >> The "public" doesn't know a "rental version" from a retail version.
    >> If they rent a movie and it looks bad they're not going to buy
    >> another copy somewhere else.

    > i can imagine a world where the studios produce a rental only dvd with
    > BUGS in the corner saying things like "For Rental Only" or "20th
    > Century Fox Rental dvd" and with a big forced RENTAL ONLY logo at hte
    > beginning.
    >
    > yikes.
    >
    > -goro-

    That would make it possible for rental-only DVDs with inferior quality
    to induce additional sales, but I can't imagine rental customers would
    put up with inferior quality and the bugs, unless the rental fee was
    next to nothing.
    FAQmeister, Feb 20, 2005
  10. FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Ed Kim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>FAQmeister wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Bob D." <> wrote in message

    >>>The "public" doesn't know a "rental version" from a retail version.
    >>>If they rent a movie and it looks bad they're not going to buy
    >>>another copy somewhere else.

    >>i can imagine a world where the studios produce a rental only dvd with
    >>BUGS in the corner saying things like "For Rental Only" or "20th
    >>Century Fox Rental dvd" and with a big forced RENTAL ONLY logo at hte
    >>beginning.
    >>
    >>yikes.
    >>
    >>-goro-

    > That would make it possible for rental-only DVDs with inferior quality
    > to induce additional sales, but I can't imagine rental customers would
    > put up with inferior quality and the bugs, unless the rental fee was
    > next to nothing.

    What's more alarming is how people are calling it a "bug". That's
    misleading.. It's a watermark.

    -Richard
    Richard Ragon, Feb 27, 2005
  11. Bob D.

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Richard Ragon" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister wrote:
    >> That would make it possible for rental-only DVDs with inferior
    >> quality to induce additional sales, but I can't imagine rental
    >> customers would put up with inferior quality and the bugs, unless
    >> the rental fee was next to nothing.

    > What's more alarming is how people are calling it a "bug". That's
    > misleading.. It's a watermark.
    >
    > -Richard

    http://www.research.philips.com/initiatives/contentid/videowm.html
    What is video watermarking?
    A video watermark is an indelible pattern embedded in video content that
    is imperceptible to the eye. By embedding a unique watermark into video
    material at the time of production or broadcasting, content owners can
    identify copies of their material and even the source of these copies
    and whether they are legal or not. Watermarking is ideal for, among
    other things, protection of intellectual property rights.

    http://www.sony.com/SCA/press/990219_2.shtml
    Although invisible to the user, electronic watermarks contain
    information that can be recognized for example, by a detector chip in
    consumer digital recorders, or special detection software running on
    compliant PC systems as instructions for enabling or disabling its
    ability to make a copy.
    FAQmeister, Feb 28, 2005