    Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
    what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle. The
    wheels aren't even square-on.
    2, Apr 23, 2006

  2. 2

    TMG Guest

    2 wrote:
    > Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
    > what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle.

    They are called "Gull Wing doors"
    TMG, Apr 23, 2006

  3. 2

    2 Guest

    "TMG" <> wrote in message
    >2 wrote:
    >> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't
    >> know what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the
    >> middle.

    > They are called "Gull Wing doors"

    No, look at the distortion of the body, as if it were bowed out towards the
    camera. If you don't see it, then .... well, you can save a lot of money by
    not buying good lenses.
    2, Apr 23, 2006
  4. 2

    Marvin Guest

    2 wrote:
    > Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
    > what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle. The
    > wheels aren't even square-on.

    The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it
    is bent in. That is just a result of the shading. and how
    my visual system interprets it.
    Marvin, Apr 23, 2006
  5. 2

    2 Guest

    "Marvin" <> wrote in message

    > The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
    > That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
    > it.

    Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
    shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.
    2, Apr 23, 2006
  6. 2

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, 2 <>
    writes
    >"Marvin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
    >> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
    >> it.

    >Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
    >shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.

    >http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp.jpg

    What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it
    is difficult to interpret this low res. image.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Apr 23, 2006
  7. "Marvin" <> wrote in message
    >2 wrote:
    >> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't
    >> know what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the
    >> middle. The wheels aren't even square-on.
    >>

    > The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
    > That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
    > it.

    Nah, look at the roofline of the building. It is either distortion or the
    building has settled quite a bit.
    Edwin Pawlowski, Apr 23, 2006
  8. 2

    2 Guest

    "Prometheus" <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it is
    > difficult to interpret this low res. image.

    Ian, it was taken so long ago on a Sony that used a floppy disc. :( Not
    worth trying to find the thing again.
    2, Apr 23, 2006
  9. 2

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, Prometheus
    <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> writes
    >In article <>, 2 <>
    >writes
    >>"Marvin" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
    >>> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
    >>> it.

    >>Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
    >>shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.

    >>http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp.jpg

    >What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it
    >is difficult to interpret this low res. image.

    Having reviewed the photograph I suspect that you were standing fairly
    close and using a wide angle setting which introduced some barrel
    distortion, it was probably also not a flat-field lens at that setting.
    I am however reluctant to assume that the top of the nearer roof was a
    horizontal line, the right hand end seems to have an extra row of tiles
    to the right of the car door; perhaps this is causing an optical
    illusion rather than there being a significant distortion in the lens.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Apr 23, 2006
  10. 2

    timeOday Guest

    Prometheus wrote:

    > Having reviewed the photograph I suspect that you were standing fairly
    > close and using a wide angle setting which introduced some barrel
    > distortion, it was probably also not a flat-field lens at that setting.
    > I am however reluctant to assume that the top of the nearer roof was a
    > horizontal line, the right hand end seems to have an extra row of tiles
    > to the right of the car door; perhaps this is causing an optical
    > illusion rather than there being a significant distortion in the lens.

    I wish I could set a default focal length on my S80. Instead it simply
    defaults to the widest angle, which has distortion.
    timeOday, Apr 24, 2006
  11. 2

    Bryan Olson Guest

    2 wrote:
    > No, look at the distortion of the body, as if it were bowed out towards the
    > camera. If you don't see it, then .... well, you can save a lot of money by
    > not buying good lenses.

    Or maybe he saves money by not buying exotic sports-cars.

    Perhaps a somewhat larger picture straight-on to brick wall would
    work better.

    --
    --Bryan
    Bryan Olson, Apr 24, 2006