    Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used. Is the
    distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal lenght (i.e long
    nose on model @ 28mm) .
    J E van der Spuy, Aug 5, 2004

  2. J E van der Spuy

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    J E van der Spuy <> wrote:

    > Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used. Is the
    > distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal lenght (i.e long
    > nose on model @ 28mm) .

    No, use the 35mm equivalent focal length to compare. That is, a long nose
    at 28mm would look the same at 17.5mm with a 1.6 multiplier.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Aug 5, 2004

  3. "J E van der Spuy" <> writes:

    > With the smaller CCD size one has the associated multiplication
    > factor (i.e 1.6 on the Canon 10D).
    >
    > Does this mean that only the central portion of the lense is used.
    > Is the distortion on digital and film identical at the same focal
    > lenght (i.e long nose on model @ 28mm) .

    It's the camera position, not the lens focal length, that controls
    that. They're not unrelated; in that to show the whole head at a
    certain distance requires a wide field of view. But it's still
    important to understand what controls what.

    But that answers your question -- given the same camera position, the
    size relationship between the nose and the face will be the same
    regardless of format -- be it 1.6x digital, 35mm, medium format,
    whatever. If you *also* choose a lens with the same angle of view,
    then the photos will look essentially identical (depth of field will
    vary I think, and grain and smoothness may vary depending on negative
    size, of course). (The focal length of the lens that gives that angle
    of view will depend on the format.)
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 6, 2004