    consistently any more?

    Thanks for any help!
    David

    d@., Jan 22, 2006

  2. d@.

    unclejr Guest

    d@. wrote:
    > Cleaning the
    > heads with a brush stlye disc cleaner seems to help
    > for a little while sometimes.

    OUCH! NEVER do this.

    > Or is the best
    > thing to replace a DVD player when it won't play discs
    > consistently any more?

    After you scratched the hell out of the lens, this would be your only
    option.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jan 22, 2006

  3. d@.

    Mike Walsh Guest

    The best way to clean a CD or DVD drive is to open it up an clean the lens with glass cleaner and a cotton swab. I use Glass Plus because I have read that some drives use plastic lenses and you should not use ammonia on plastic. I have resurrected many old CD drives this way. I have not had as much success with DVD drives because they usually are not very dirty and the problem is elsewhere.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Jan 22, 2006
  4. d@.

    TC Guest

    > > I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
    > > showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
    > > the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
    > > machines, but screw up on others.

    I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
    smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
    created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
    problems:
    www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    TC, Jan 22, 2006
  5. d@.

    Gogarty Guest

    In article <-media.com>,
    says...

    >> > I often have problems with discs freezing up and/or
    >> > showing a lot of distortion, like lines of squares across
    >> > the screen. The same disc will play okay on some
    >> > machines, but screw up on others.

    >I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
    >smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
    >created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
    >problems:
    >http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    Many thanks. There is huge variabilty in DVD and even CD media. I bought
    a pack of 25 Memorex DVD-R/W and only two would play in the set top
    player while all would play in the computer DVD drive. On the other hand
    I have had no problems at all with Sel Cheapo Staples DVD-R/W on set top
    or comuter.

    Gogarty, Jan 23, 2006
  6. d@.

    jazu Guest

    Burn at possible the lower speed. High speed is good when you play disk on
    computer. When you play at home DVD player that's when problems begins.

    jazu, Jan 27, 2006
  7. d@.

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Gogarty wrote:

    > In article <-media.com>,
    > says...

    >>I have found that the quality of the DVD blanks is most important after
    >>smudging or scratching has been eliminated. All blank DVD's are NOT
    >>created equally. Check this site for info about disks and reading
    >>problems:
    >>http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    > Many thanks. There is huge variabilty in DVD and even CD media. I bought
    > a pack of 25 Memorex DVD-R/W and only two would play in the set top
    > player while all would play in the computer DVD drive. On the other hand
    > I have had no problems at all with Sel Cheapo Staples DVD-R/W on set top
    > or comuter.

    You realize that all the drives lasers have slightly different power
    spectrums and they do not always match up with the power absorption
    spectrum of the dye in the disks. Unfortunately the actual curves are
    all trade secrets! So your only recourse is to record for yourself (and
    the rest of us???) which make drives work how well with which make disks.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 27, 2006
  8. d@.

    d@. Guest

    blank DVD questions

    When I first got a DVD recorder I never had any problems
    with discs looking bad, or playing back badly. Recently
    I've been having a good bit of problem with playback, and
    have noticed that even the latest discs have what appear
    to be spider web size lines in them. Are they scratches?
    They don't really look as much like scratches as they do
    maybe cracks, to me. And the older DVDs that I recorded
    still don't have anything like that, even after years of use.
    Are these newer discs of much lesser quality? What should
    I look for in order to avoid such garbage in the future? My
    machine uses DVD-R.

    Thanks for any help!

    d@., Feb 8, 2006
  9. Re: blank DVD questions

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:02:42 -0500, d@. wrote:

    >My
    >machine uses DVD-R.

    First off, then, throw it away and spend a surprisingly low amount of
    money on one of today's multi-format drives.

    Laurence Payne, Feb 9, 2006
  10. d@.

    d@. Guest

    Re: blank DVD questions

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:49:42 +0000, Laurence Payne <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:02:42 -0500, d@. wrote:
    >
    >>My
    >>machine uses DVD-R.

    >First off, then, throw it away and spend a surprisingly low amount of
    >money on one of today's multi-format drives.

    What would be the use in that, *if* the problem is caused by the
    discs? *If* the problem is with the discs, why not just get better
    discs? Would the poor quality discs work okay in a new recorder?
    Would they also work okay in other machines during playback?

    d@., Feb 9, 2006
  11. d@.

    Charlie+ Guest

    Re: blank DVD questions

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:02:42 -0500, d@. wrote as underneath my
    scribble :

    You are mad if you waste time with DVD blanks that have anything
    visible wrong in the active layer, when even invisible faults can
    easily arrest playback, the error correction isnt that robust. Return
    them to the mfg immediately.
    I also always inspect the disk after burning as a weak/thin patch(es)
    in the active layer sometimes only show up after burning. I have
    recently come across some DataWrite 16x disks in multipacks where
    there are faults in this catagory. I get the impression that quality
    control from the mfg plants is not quite as good as it was. Complain!
    -It may help us all!
    Charlie+

    Charlie+, Feb 10, 2006