    landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    people using VOIP services. help!

    rob

    robert, Jun 22, 2006

  2. robert

    Sean Guest

    robert wrote:
    > is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    > landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    > landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > people using VOIP services. help!
    >
    > rob

    Not exactly.

    Many people are getting rid of fixed lines for VoIP.. So your company
    may have no customers one day if that's how your working!

    But on www.ukphoneinfo.com you can search for numbers, and see which
    operators own the numbers.

    But people now can port there BT numbers to VoIP.. So it's not always
    going to be right

    Sean, Jun 22, 2006

  3. robert wrote:
    > is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    > landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    > landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > people using VOIP services. help!

    You can't easily.

    We had the same problem, but worked out that (a) customers ip addresses
    didn't match up with the country they had their details in and (b)
    things about the order were odd - e.g. name miss spellings.

    You should checkout a system like http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv_overview

    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 22, 2006
  4. robert

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:21:08 GMT, "robert" <> wrote:

    >my company requires customers to provide a
    >landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    >people using VOIP services.

    A voip number is a landline number. The idea that a number actually
    tells you where the caller is located is daft: call diversion and
    presentation numbers killed that off years ago.

    In what way would a phone number help prevent fraud?

    In any event, everyone is moving to VOIP over the next few years. At
    present it's only a few tens of thousands per month, but that will
    change.

    , Jun 22, 2006
  5. robert

    alex Guest

    robert wrote:
    > is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    > landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    > landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > people using VOIP services. help!

    http://www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/codelook.asp might help.

    alex

    alex, Jun 22, 2006
  6. robert

    alex Guest

    Sean wrote:
    > robert wrote:
    >
    >> is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    >> landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    >> landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught
    >> out by people using VOIP services. help!
    >>
    >> rob
    >>

    > Not exactly.
    >
    > Many people are getting rid of fixed lines for VoIP.. So your company
    > may have no customers one day if that's how your working!

    Indeed. Insisting on a conventional style landline sounds like a bad
    idea to me (but maybe if I knew the types products/services robert was
    offering it might not).

    > But on www.ukphoneinfo.com you can search for numbers, and see which
    > operators own the numbers.
    >
    > But people now can port there BT numbers to VoIP.. So it's not always
    > going to be right

    Fraudsters in other countries are unlikely to have a BT number to port
    to an ITSP...

    alex

    alex, Jun 22, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    writes:

    > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:21:08 GMT, "robert" <> wrote:
    >
    > >my company requires customers to provide a
    > >landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > >people using VOIP services.

    > A voip number is a landline number. The idea that a number actually
    > tells you where the caller is located is daft: call diversion and
    > presentation numbers killed that off years ago.
    >
    > In what way would a phone number help prevent fraud?

    I don't know about fraud, but I've heard of them being used for
    unsolicited advertising because a) the costs are low and b) it is in
    some cases easier to be dishonest with them than with conventional
    telephone numbers.

    > In any event, everyone is moving to VOIP over the next few years. At
    > present it's only a few tens of thousands per month, but that will
    > change.

    Yes, conventional telephony will go the way of the telegraph. What hath
    God wrought!

    Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply, Jun 22, 2006
  8. robert

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "robert" <> wrote in message
    > is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs
    > to an actual landline or a VOIP service? my company
    > requires customers to provide a landline number to help
    > prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > people using VOIP services. help!

    Yes and no. It's possible to find out who a number block was originally
    registered with, but number portability is becoming more common in the
    VoIP world and it's not guaranteed. It's unlikely that someone would port
    a VoIP number to BT, although it's technically possible. But a BT number
    can easily be ported to VoIP.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 23, 2006
  9. robert wrote:
    > is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    > landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    > landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    > people using VOIP services. help!

    Start developing alternative anti-fraud methods checks - using a phone
    number proves nothing.

    Colin Forrester, Jun 23, 2006
  10. robert

    JC Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:21:08 GMT, "robert" <> wrote:

    >is there any way to determine if a phone number belongs to an actual
    >landline or a VOIP service? my company requires customers to provide a
    >landline number to help prevent fraud, but we've recently been caught out by
    >people using VOIP services. help!

    How bizarre. Surely a better idea is just to insist that your
    customers provide both a Telex number and their inside leg
    measurements?

    On a serious note, if your security depends on they type of phone
    service that your customers use, then you have no security and deserve
    no customers.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jun 25, 2006