    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve Freides, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Steve Freides

    Guest Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Will wireless networking work across a short distance outdoors? My
    > parents are moving to an apartment that is, literally, across a
    > driveway from me. The point-to-point distance from my home to their
    > apartment is ~40 meters, and if I put some sort of repeater (is there
    > such a thing?) in my garage, I could shorten that to closer to 25 or
    > 30 meters. I'd love to avoid getting them their own high-speed
    > connection as they're elderly and never used a computer in their lives
    > before, but it would be nice for me to be able to use my laptop when
    > I'm there - although they don't have a computer, they like that I have
    > one. :)
    >
    > And if the wireless setup in my laptop (which, btw, is I think the
    > older of the two that's out there now) won't work, please feel free to
    > suggest other solutions. For what laptops cost these days, I might
    > just buy one for them that supports the newer protocol or even get
    > them their own desktop and whatever additional hardware is necessary
    > to make a wireless connection.

    Just as an example:

    http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=385&rid=1437&sec=1

    Notice the indoor and outdoor ranges. Yours will be somewhere between,
    but even the indoor range is farther than your 40 meters. Make sure you
    use its features to restrict what can connect, encrypt, and whatnot to
    avoid "war driving" (http://www.google.com/search?q=define:War driving).

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.

    Guest, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Steve Freides

    Scraggy Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Will wireless networking work across a short distance outdoors? My
    > parents are moving to an apartment that is, literally, across a
    > driveway from me. The point-to-point distance from my home to their
    > apartment is ~40 meters, and if I put some sort of repeater (is there
    > such a thing?) in my garage, I could shorten that to closer to 25 or
    > 30 meters. I'd love to avoid getting them their own high-speed
    > connection as they're elderly and never used a computer in their
    > lives before, but it would be nice for me to be able to use my laptop
    > when I'm there - although they don't have a computer, they like that
    > I have one. :)
    > And if the wireless setup in my laptop (which, btw, is I think the
    > older of the two that's out there now) won't work, please feel free
    > to suggest other solutions. For what laptops cost these days, I
    > might just buy one for them that supports the newer protocol or even
    > get them their own desktop and whatever additional hardware is
    > necessary to make a wireless connection.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-
    > http://www.kbnj.com

    This is, unfortunately, one of those "How long is a piece of string"
    questions. That said, the easiest way round this would be use of one of the
    new "Pre N" wireless routers. I am, at the moment using one of the Belkin
    Pre N routers and the range, compared to "B" & "G" is phenominal. I can get
    a signal over 300m away on my iPAQ 5550( not unfortunately out again to the
    router, not enough power in hand held :-( ) If you get a Pre N card for the
    LT(s), with sensible siteing of the router you should easily achieve your
    target. Just one of many possible answers.

    HTH
    --
    The miracle is this - the more we share, the more we have.
    -- Leonard Nimoy

    Scraggy, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Steve Freides wrote:
    > Will wireless networking work across a short distance outdoors? My
    > parents are moving to an apartment that is, literally, across a driveway
    > from me. The point-to-point distance from my home to their apartment is
    > ~40 meters, and if I put some sort of repeater (is there such a thing?)
    > in my garage, I could shorten that to closer to 25 or 30 meters. I'd
    > love to avoid getting them their own high-speed connection as they're
    > elderly and never used a computer in their lives before, but it would be
    > nice for me to be able to use my laptop when I'm there - although they
    > don't have a computer, they like that I have one. :)
    >
    > And if the wireless setup in my laptop (which, btw, is I think the older
    > of the two that's out there now) won't work, please feel free to suggest
    > other solutions. For what laptops cost these days, I might just buy one
    > for them that supports the newer protocol or even get them their own
    > desktop and whatever additional hardware is necessary to make a wireless
    > connection.

    I'd recommend using a good antenna instead of a repeater for this. If
    you get a good quality wireless router with removeable stubby antennas
    and replace one of them with a directional antenna such as the 9dbi
    Maxrad WISP panel antenna from the website below, aim it at their
    apartment - it should work. The only other purchase you'd need would be
    a pigtail to match up the connector on the router and an N-Male
    connector on the other end for the antenna.

    http://www.fab-corp.com

    Another possible solution is a USB device that Ed Williams is marketing
    on eBay called the Signal Finder. It's selling for about $100, just plug
    it in to your USB port and configure. He uses a lot of fluff to sell the
    device but basically it looks like a good solution for some people.

    For either of these, line of sight is important. If possible put the
    antenna in a window or better yet, outside the window aimed directly at
    the apartment. That little 9dbi antenna is small, about 5" square.

    As for newest protocols, you don't need to worry about that if you're
    mostly interested in accessing the internet. The slowest plain jane WiFi
    wireless is much faster than just about anyone's broadband service.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Another possible solution is a USB device that Ed Williams is marketing
    > on eBay called the Signal Finder. It's selling for about $100, just plug

    Oops, make that Signal Seeker ^^

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 12, 2005