    netbooks, but they know the higher price will just turn off customers.

    Linux is already building its encroachment into the netbook market; the
    final death of XP will simply accelerate this.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 11, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4487>
    >
    > Sure, the vendors can put a more expensive version of Windows Seven on
    > netbooks, but they know the higher price will just turn off customers.
    >
    > Linux is already building its encroachment into the netbook market; the
    > final death of XP will simply accelerate this.

    The "research" upon which the article was based seems rather suspect.

    http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-1255...adID=71438&messageID=1378227&tag=content;col1

    EMB, Nov 11, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    J Brockley Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:hddiol$46u$...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4487>
    >>
    >> Sure, the vendors can put a more expensive version of Windows Seven on
    >> netbooks, but they know the higher price will just turn off customers.
    >>
    >> Linux is already building its encroachment into the netbook market; the
    >> final death of XP will simply accelerate this.

    > The "research" upon which the article was based seems rather suspect.
    >
    > http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-1255...adID=71438&messageID=1378227&tag=content;col1

    If the difference matters to you then you need to have the nouce to find out
    what the difference is. You might as well complain that your Netbook doesn't
    play the latest and greatest games or any number of things it wont do well
    because its a Netbook.
    You could just as easily get similar responses if you asked the right
    questions about a Netbook with Linux on it.

    Next time you a shop have a look, 32" LCD TVs' for example are not all $1000
    and not all the same.

    J Brockley, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    J Brockley wrote:

    > If the difference matters to you then you need to have the nouce to find
    > out what the difference is. You might as well complain that your Netbook
    > doesn't play the latest and greatest games or any number of things it
    > wont do well because its a Netbook.
    > You could just as easily get similar responses if you asked the right
    > questions about a Netbook with Linux on it.

    I feel that *any* netbook is a waste of money. They're relatively
    expensive, have a small screen area (both pixels and physically), and
    have less than optimal keyboards. I use an old IBM T43 when I need
    relatively small and light - it cost me less than a netbook, has a
    passable keyboard and a 14" screen running at 1400x1050.

    EMB, Nov 11, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > J Brockley wrote:
    >
    >> If the difference matters to you then you need to have the nouce to
    >> find out what the difference is. You might as well complain that
    >> your Netbook doesn't play the latest and greatest games or any
    >> number of things it wont do well because its a Netbook.
    >> You could just as easily get similar responses if you asked the right
    >> questions about a Netbook with Linux on it.

    > I feel that *any* netbook is a waste of money. They're relatively
    > expensive, have a small screen area (both pixels and physically), and
    > have less than optimal keyboards. I use an old IBM T43 when I need
    > relatively small and light - it cost me less than a netbook, has a
    > passable keyboard and a 14" screen running at 1400x1050.

    ... and is at least 1.5 x as grunty as an Atom running at 1.6GHz yet alone
    the slow Celerons that the first netbooks used.

    The only area where the netbook has the advantage (other than the fact it'll
    fit in your hand bag) is in memory bandwidth. However that's not much of an
    advantage if the CPU is slower and the storage is the same speed.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2009