    opportunity open for someone to come along and disrupt it again, this time
    by building a new, even lower-cost machine that doesn't depend on Intel
    hardware, and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:57:20 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Interesting item
    ><http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9073619&intsrc=news_list>
    >on the challenges faced by both Microsoft and Intel in dealing with these
    >new low-cost ultralight laptops. Apparently Intel is putting strict limits
    >on the kinds of configurations that can be built around its new low-power,
    >low-cost "Atom" platform (e.g. no screens as large as 14 inches), to avoid
    >cannibalizing sales of its more expensive hardware.
    >
    >The assumption is that, if Intel can manage this, then Microsoft can
    >similarly be persuaded to continue offering Dimdows XP specifically for
    >these machines, without running the risk of hurting sales of Vista on more
    >expensive hardware.
    >
    >I think that trying to control the market in this way just leaves an
    >opportunity open for someone to come along and disrupt it again, this time
    >by building a new, even lower-cost machine that doesn't depend on Intel
    >hardware, and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux.

    I heard something about them continuing with Windows Crippled (or
    whatever they call the cut-down version that can run only 3 processes
    simultaneously).
    Ross, Apr 3, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    BrianM Guest

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:57:20 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Interesting item
    > <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9073619&intsrc=news_list>
    > on the challenges faced by both Microsoft and Intel in dealing with these
    > new low-cost ultralight laptops. Apparently Intel is putting strict limits
    > on the kinds of configurations that can be built around its new low-power,
    > low-cost "Atom" platform (e.g. no screens as large as 14 inches), to avoid
    > cannibalizing sales of its more expensive hardware.
    >
    > The assumption is that, if Intel can manage this, then Microsoft can
    > similarly be persuaded to continue offering Dimdows XP specifically for
    > these machines, without running the risk of hurting sales of Vista on more
    > expensive hardware.
    >
    > I think that trying to control the market in this way just leaves an
    > opportunity open for someone to come along and disrupt it again, this time
    > by building a new, even lower-cost machine that doesn't depend on Intel
    > hardware, and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux.

    Something like a VIA C7-M CPU running Damn Small Linux,
    with Fluxbox as the UI.

    cheers
    BrianM
    BrianM, Apr 3, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > I think that trying to control the market in this way just leaves an
    > opportunity open for someone to come along and disrupt it again, this time
    > by building a new, even lower-cost machine that doesn't depend on Intel
    > hardware, and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux.

    So you're advocating restricting people's choice of OS?
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 3, 2008
  5. In article <ft3c7u$je5$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >> I think that trying to control the market in this way just leaves an
    >> opportunity open for someone to come along and disrupt it again, this
    >> time by building a new, even lower-cost machine that doesn't depend on
    >> Intel hardware, and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only
    >> Linux.

    > So you're advocating restricting people's choice of OS?

    In what way?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Apr 3, 2008
  7. In article <ft3mrk$ona$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >> In article <ft3c7u$je5$>, Nik Coughlin did write:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:ft1o3f$m8e$...
    >>>
    >>> So you're advocating restricting people's choice of OS?

    >> In what way?

    > "and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux."

    So you're advocating restrictcing people's choice of hardware?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In article <ft3mrk$ona$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >>> In article <ft3c7u$je5$>, Nik Coughlin did write:

    >>> In what way?

    >> "and possibly even has no option to run Dimdows, only Linux."

    > So you're advocating restrictcing people's choice of hardware?

    Did you mean by no option to run Windows, not powerful enough to? Or do you
    mean unable to in the sense that it's not x86 compatible? Which is not the
    same thing as doesn't depend on Intel hardware. I have no problem with
    that. It sounded like you were saying there was "no option" to run Windows,
    which implies through the use of the word "option" that the potential is
    there.
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 4, 2008
  9. In article <>, Ross did write:

    > I heard something about them continuing with Windows Crippled (or
    > whatever they call the cut-down version that can run only 3 processes
    > simultaneously).

    Well, the word is officially out
    <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/xp_pro_execution_set_home_gets_reprieve.html>:
    XP Pro is for the chop at the end of June, while XP Home will continue to
    be available only for budget machines like the Eee.

    In other words, business Dimdows customers who have been stubbornly
    resisting Vista are fucked.

    The promotion of XP Home is a clear attempt to wall off the threat posed by
    this new market segment to Vista. It's a typically reactive, not a
    proactive, response, which is all Microsoft seems capable of these days:
    it's assuming--nay, hoping--that adoption of these budget machines will not
    spread to business customers. But why shouldn't that happen? The market is
    discovering that these are amazingly useful little systems.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 4, 2008