    Any Ideas ?

    Thanks
    John
    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005

  2. Hushup

    Notan Guest

    Hushup wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
    > ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    > For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    > ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
    > Any Ideas ?

    Check your local Yellow Pages. There are companies that specialize in
    the destruction of confidential information. (Sorry, I can't point you
    in a more specific direction, as it'll be a cold day in Hell, when all
    Yellow Pages have consistent headings! <g>)

    You might also check your local hospitals, as they're obligated, by law,
    to dispose of certain paperwork in a secure manner.

    Good Luck!

    Notan
    Notan, Sep 27, 2005

  3. Hushup

    Hushup Guest

    Thank You
    It just seems such a small amount with just one ribbon to dispose of... but
    I shall give it a try.
    Thanks
    John

    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Hushup

    Nowhere Guest

    Eat it....

    Nowhere, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Hushup

    Guest

    Hushup said the following on 9/27/2005 7:59 AM:
    > Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
    > ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    > For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    > ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
    > Any Ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > John

    Burn it or bury it.
    , Sep 27, 2005
  6. From: "Hushup" <>

    | Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
    | ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    | For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    | ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
    | Any Ideas ?
    |
    | Thanks
    | John

    Burn it in the fireplace.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Sep 27, 2005
  7. Hushup

    nemo_outis Guest

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

    > From: "Hushup" <>
    >
    >| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons
    >| - these ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been
    >| faxed world wide. For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would
    >| be a disaster. The ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is
    >| out of the question. Any Ideas ?
    >|
    >| Thanks
    >| John
    >|

    > Burn it in the fireplace.

    Burning stuff in the fireplace works marvellously well (as long as you
    shrug off piffles like nasty chemicals being released in your vicinity).

    But to prevent you becoming a sadder and poorer, albeit wiser, man, let me
    point out that regular burning of, say, large quantities of shredded paper
    does considerably shorten the life of the chimney liner (from high heat and
    rapid thermal shock).

    But, then again, everything, including privacy, has its price and a
    fireplace is a wonderful "security adjunct." (The paranoid will run a fair
    amount of their everyday garbage through it as well to obliterate any info
    leakage. Tell the neighbours to stuff their complaints about the smell :)

    Regards,

    PS Now if I could only buy a crematorium (or perhaps a lime kiln would
    do...)
    nemo_outis, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Hushup

    Unruh Guest

    >From: "Hushup" <>

    >| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
    >| ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    >| For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    >| ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.

    Why is burning out of the question?

    Buy a special high security safe, and store the used ribbons in the safe.
    Unruh, Sep 27, 2005
  9. Hushup

    Notan Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > >From: "Hushup" <>

    > >| Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons - these
    > >| ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    > >| For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    > >| ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.

    > Why is burning out of the question?
    >
    > Buy a special high security safe, and store the used ribbons in the safe.

    I can hear myself trying to justify *that* expense to Mrs. Notan.
    "Well, dear, while I know you object to me keeping stuff that I
    *might* use someday, and takes up a lot of room, I'd like to spend
    a bunch of money on a high security safe, so I can keep stuff that
    I'll *never* use"

    Yeah, right! <g>

    Notan
    Notan, Sep 27, 2005
  10. Hushup

    Hushup Guest

    In the middle of London - This is not possible.
    John

    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005
  11. Hushup

    Hushup Guest

    And what do I do when the safe becomes full. ?
    Burning Rubbish in Central London is forbidden.
    Any other ideas ?
    John

    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005
  12. Hushup

    Hushup Guest

    There is no fireplace.
    John

    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005
  13. Hushup

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:10:24 +0000 (UTC), "Hushup"
    <> wrote:

    >In the middle of London - This is not possible.

    November 5th is coming real soon now ...

    Surely there is a bonfire somewhere?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 27, 2005
  14. Hushup

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:11:11 +0000 (UTC), "Hushup"
    <> wrote:

    >And what do I do when the safe becomes full. ?
    >Burning Rubbish in Central London is forbidden.
    >Any other ideas ?

    Get another fax machine that uses ink rather than ribbons.

    See previous posting for what to do.

    Buy a day return to Lewes in Sussex if London is to PC

    http://www.lewesbonfirecouncil.org.uk
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Sep 27, 2005
  15. Hushup

    Hushup Guest

    Ahhhh
    The finest suggestion so far... Go to the top of the class.....
    Thank you...
    John in Cornwall

    Hushup, Sep 27, 2005
  16. Hushup

    DavidPostill Guest

    In article <dhc5ev$cd0$-infra.bt.com>, on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:10:24 +0000
    (UTC), Hushup wrote:

    | In the middle of London - This is not possible.

    Huh? I live in London. OK not the center...

    Are BBQs banned in the center?

    Stick it on your BBQ. Then wait a little while and cook your food ...
    --
    DavidPostill
    DavidPostill, Sep 27, 2005
  17. Hushup

    Steve Welsh Guest

    I would think that a small (domestic) pottery kiln would fill the bill

    http://www.hotkilns.com

    Steve Welsh, Sep 28, 2005
  18. Hushup

    Notan Guest

    Steve Welsh wrote:

    > <snip>

    Holy mackerel! All this discussion for a fax ribbon? <g>

    If it's, as you say, "too thin," put it in an envelope
    and shred the whole envelope.

    Notan
    Notan, Sep 28, 2005
  19. From: "DavidPostill" <>

    | In article <dhc5ev$cd0$-infra.bt.com>, on Tue, 27 Sep 2005
    19:10:24
    | +0000 (UTC), Hushup wrote:
    |
    |> In the middle of London - This is not possible.
    |
    | Huh? I live in London. OK not the center...
    |
    | Are BBQs banned in the center?
    |
    | Stick it on your BBQ. Then wait a little while and cook your food ...
    | --
    | DavidPostill

    I think I would cook the food first ! ;-)

    David H. Lipman, Sep 28, 2005
  20. "Hushup" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone suggest the correct way to dispose of Fax Machine ribbons -

    these
    > ribbons contain a copy sensitive material that has been faxed world wide.
    > For the contents to fall into the wrong hands would be a disaster. The
    > ribbon is too thin to be shredded and burning is out of the question.
    > Any Ideas ?

    If burning is out of the question.. buy a bottle of thinners and leave if
    floating around for a week or two.

    Buy the right stuff, and the cartridge itself will dissolve, let alone the
    ink on the ribbon ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!