    I could dump them out in the street I guess, to let anyone who wants it,
    take it, like my neighbour did with an old laser printer last week.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Max Burke

    SchoolTech Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    > recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)
    >
    > I have 3 old monitors, 2 printers (1 inkjet, 1 dot-matrix) and lots bits
    > and pieces to get rid of.....
    > All working last time they were used, cant guarantee they still work.
    >
    > I could dump them out in the street I guess, to let anyone who wants it,
    > take it, like my neighbour did with an old laser printer last week.

    Assuming they have recycling in Wellington take them to the transfer
    station, they will know who recycles.
    SchoolTech, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Max Burke

    David Empson Guest

    Max Burke <> wrote:

    > Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    > recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)

    Have a look in the Yellow Pages under "Scrap Metal Dealers".

    Ingot Metals (Lower Hutt and Porirua) say they take computer scrap, and
    we used them to collect a bunch of old computers from work. They will
    even pay you a token fee if you deliver the scrap to them, and won't
    charge for collection in some cases.

    They don't pay for plastic and glass components, so you won't get
    anything for monitors (and maybe not printers either) but they will take
    them.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Max Burke

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <4413aa6c$>, "Max Burke" <> wrote:
    >Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    >recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)

    There's a PC recycling operation on Jervois Quay, more or less across the
    road from the Stadium (down towards town a bit). I've only seen it when
    driving past so I don't know what they take.

    The WCC recycling centre at Southern Landfill will take system units and
    printers if they're recent models, and sometimes recent model monitors.
    They often refuse keyboards, small/old monitors and old printers.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > David Empson scribbled:

    >> Max Burke <> wrote:

    >> Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    >> recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)

    > Have a look in the Yellow Pages under "Scrap Metal Dealers".
    > Ingot Metals (Lower Hutt and Porirua) say they take computer scrap,
    > and we used them to collect a bunch of old computers from work. They
    > will even pay you a token fee if you deliver the scrap to them, and
    > won't charge for collection in some cases.

    > They don't pay for plastic and glass components, so you won't get
    > anything for monitors (and maybe not printers either) but they will
    > take them.

    Thanks for that, I'll give them a ring.
    I'm not looking for any money for them, just want to get rid of them.....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Max Burke

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    > recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)
    >
    > I have 3 old monitors, 2 printers (1 inkjet, 1 dot-matrix) and lots bits

    and
    > pieces to get rid of.....
    > All working last time they were used, cant guarantee they still work.
    >
    > I could dump them out in the street I guess, to let anyone who wants it,
    > take it, like my neighbour did with an old laser printer last week.

    If you stick 'em on the street with a "for sale" sign on them, they'll go
    faster than if you have a "free" sign on them. I had a fridge on the street
    for two weeks. I changed the sign to "for sale" and it was gone that day.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter.
    Peter Lowrie, Mar 14, 2006
  7. Max Burke

    Don Stokes Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Lowrie <> wrote:
    >Max Burke wrote:
    >> I could dump them out in the street I guess, to let anyone who wants it,
    >> take it, like my neighbour did with an old laser printer last week.

    >If you stick 'em on the street with a "for sale" sign on them, they'll go
    >faster than if you have a "free" sign on them. I had a fridge on the street
    >for two weeks. I changed the sign to "for sale" and it was gone that day.

    Was it paid for, or just nicked (or at least, did they bother to ask)?

    I could understand folks assuming that something available for nothing
    was worth that ...

    -- don
    Don Stokes, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Max Burke

    Jerry Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Anyone know of any companies that take old computer parts for
    > recycling/disposal? (Wellington area)
    >
    > I have 3 old monitors, 2 printers (1 inkjet, 1 dot-matrix) and lots bits
    > and pieces to get rid of.....
    > All working last time they were used, cant guarantee they still work.
    >
    > I could dump them out in the street I guess, to let anyone who wants it,
    > take it, like my neighbour did with an old laser printer last week.

    A long time ago, when I was living and working over the pond in the city
    by the bay, we had a customer who had a partial string of IBM 2401 tape
    drives http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2401.html
    and one lonely Potter tape drive
    http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/Tape-Drive-Unit-Potter-1967.htm .
    It seems that since one guy that worked for us used to work for
    Potter, our salesman sold this customer a maintenance agreement on the
    potter drive. Well, we couldn't get parts for it, and only the ex
    potter guy knew anything about it, and he had become a manager, so it
    was a real bitch to keep semi running. Well, when a customer about a
    block away scrapped a bunch of their old stuff, including a string of
    2401s, we pushed the best 2401 down the street and offered to trade it
    even for his old potter POS. The customer readily agreed, and we did
    the swap,m and then of course we had to get rid of the Potter. We put
    it in a lift, took it to the ground floor, and left it parked on the
    footpath on California Street and went to lunch to figure out who had a
    truck we could borrow. When we finished lunch and returned to the site
    our problems were solved, someone had nicked the Potter drive.
    Jerry, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Max Burke

    PJB Guest

    There is a company in Seaview, not sure of their name and also a computer
    business across the road from the Westpac Stadium (NZRFU building side of
    Aotea Quay which sell recycl;ed PC's.
    ..

    PJB, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Max Burke

    Peter Lowrie Guest

    PJB wrote:

    > There is a company in Seaview, not sure of their name and also a computer
    > business across the road from the Westpac Stadium (NZRFU building side of
    > Aotea Quay which sell recycl;ed PC's.

    You're talking about New Age Materials. I am sorry to say that the bogan
    dude that runs it insults his customers and has very poor manners indeed.

    Peter Lowrie, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Max Burke

    Bette Noir Guest

    On , , Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:46:11 +1300, Re: Disposal of old
    computer parts.... , Peter Lowrie <>
    wrote:

    >PJB wrote:
    >
    >> There is a company in Seaview, not sure of their name and also a computer
    >> business across the road from the Westpac Stadium (NZRFU building side of
    >> Aotea Quay which sell recycl;ed PC's.

    >You're talking about New Age Materials. I am sorry to say that the bogan
    >dude that runs it insults his customers and has very poor manners indeed.

    Did you persist in trying to convince him of your "over unity"
    inventions?

    ---
    Bette Noir, Mar 18, 2006