    It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
    HDTV output.

    Thanx for any help.
    OnlySoSo, Dec 24, 2003

  2. OnlySoSo

    steve Guest

    I agree!

    With the increasing number of HD capable TV sets in homes one would
    think that someone would develop a device that could generate component
    output HDTV still images from a compact flash or other memory card.

    I have not yet seen such a device but believe that it would not be
    difficult to make one --

    Perhaps some electronics manufacturer would step up to the plate on this
    and make such a device.

    I think that one issue will be either standardizing on a single image
    size format to convert to HD, or building in the capability to
    automatically resize any format image to the appropriate size and aspect
    ratio for HDTV display.

    Many digital cameras have the capability to create images with more
    pixels than can be displayed on a HD set, so there would be some image
    manipulation required in most cases.

    steve

    steve, Dec 24, 2003

  3. OnlySoSo

    Markeau Guest

    Some of the ATI Radeon series of PC graphic cards can output to an
    HDTV:
    http://mirror.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html

    You might also post in the ati ng:
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

    Markeau, Dec 25, 2003
  4. OnlySoSo

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "OnlySoSo" <> wrote:
    > I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
    > HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
    > (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
    > at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
    > after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
    > question to photo or electronics retailers.
    >
    > It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
    > HDTV output.

    What is HDTV output? Some High Definition monitors have (analog) VGA
    inputs, some have DVI inputs, and some have the consumer component inputs.
    With a VGA or DVI input, you simply need to get your display card to output
    an HDTV compatible scan rate. The best software I know of to do that
    is Entech's PowerStrip. Google for it, it works with many graphics chips
    and cards. Graphics chip and board manufacturers are catching on to HDTV
    and some offer component video outputs, at least as an option. ATI
    has a number of boards which do so.

    Sam
    Samuel Paik, Dec 25, 2003
  5. OnlySoSo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    OnlySoSo wrote:

    > I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
    > HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
    > (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
    > at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
    > after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
    > question to photo or electronics retailers.
    >
    > It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
    > HDTV output.
    >
    > Thanx for any help.

    Take a look at the resolution offered by HDTV and your questions will
    answer themselves. Even HDTV doesn't come close to matching the
    resolution of a digital picture from even a 2 mp camera.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 25, 2003
  6. OnlySoSo

    ineedcables Guest

    Hi,

    I wanted to mention that some Tvs, for example some of the Sony's,
    allow you to insert the memory card from your camera directly into the
    TV (it has a slot on the front), and you can watch slideshows of your
    pictures that way, without even needing a computer.

    I haven't done this myself, but I have seen the television sets
    around, and it seems like a very nice and convenient idea.

    -N

    Do You Need Cables?
    http://www.ineedcables.com

    ineedcables, Dec 27, 2003
  7. "OnlySoSo" <> writes:
    >I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
    >HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
    >(aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
    >at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
    >after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
    >question to photo or electronics retailers.

    Why not connect your PC to your HDTV? Most relatively recent frame
    buffers sould be able to produce 1080 (visible) line video at one of
    the horizontal timings that your HDTV supports. Ideally, you'd use
    1920x1080 pixels, since that makes the pixels on screen square and your
    camera delivers square pixels. But it's possible to deal with
    non-square pixels too (e.g. 1280x1024 filling the screen).

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 27, 2003