    case i would have it in the open. has anyone tried this for a display
    model.
    i am thinking what is the best surface to place it on?
    6ftplus, Sep 6, 2005

  2. 6ftplus

    JohnO Guest

    >i was thinking of displaying a PC test machine, without the case for my
    > class. it would have MB cpu ram psu etc but instead of enclosed in a
    > case i would have it in the open. has anyone tried this for a display
    > model.
    > i am thinking what is the best surface to place it on?

    We used to put them on triple layers of cardboard at ZDS, but plywood would
    probably look nicer. ATP (http://www.atp-p51.com/) has a nice metal case. If
    you buy one, be sure to tell Bob I sent you.

    -John O
    JohnO, Sep 6, 2005

  3. 6ftplus

    Guest Guest

    One thing I've seen work well in the past is to use a sheet of peg board.
    The same style that is used to hang up your tools in the garage. You can get
    it in white as well as the natural color.
    Using the peg board allows you to use zip ties to secure some of the
    components easily and when you wish to swap components you do not need to
    drill new holes to fit whatever new item you are adding. I would recommend
    that you use the standoff's supplied with the motherboard however to secure
    it to the board as it could possibly be easy to slip while trimming the ties
    and then damage the board.
    Framing the peg board with 1 x 2 firing strips gives it structural stability
    while still making the board lightweight and mildly portable.

    Pat

    Guest, Sep 6, 2005
  4. 6ftplus

    6ftplus Guest

    are you talking a normal PC case, but clear? do you know who may sell
    one? thanks.
    6ftplus, Sep 11, 2005
  5. 6ftplus

    mike Guest

    really neat would be the MOBO in a small aquarium filled with vegetable or
    silicon-based oil...
    all drives incl hdd would have to out & dry

    mike, Oct 15, 2005