    light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
    DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

    MrGrumpy, Jun 27, 2005

  2. MrGrumpy

    Adrian Guest

    MrGrumpy wrote:
    > Bush DVD; when playing prerecorded dvd's, display alternates between
    > light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
    > DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
    > Thanks

    It sounds like Macrovision. Is the signal passing through a VCR?

    Adrian, Jun 27, 2005

  3. MrGrumpy

    MrGrumpy Guest

    No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
    BTW what is Macrovision ?

    MrGrumpy, Jun 27, 2005
  4. MrGrumpy

    Adrian Guest

    MrGrumpy wrote:
    > No, the player was fine until a few weeks ago.
    > BTW what is Macrovision ?

    It's a copy protection system.

    Adrian, Jun 27, 2005
  5. MrGrumpy

    MrGrumpy Guest

    After messing around I found that the problem is caused by using a scart
    switch box, ie I have two scart leads but only a single scart connector on
    the TV - connect direct to TV and its fine.
    Are scart switch boxes of differing quality?

    MrGrumpy, Jun 27, 2005
  6. >?Are scart switch boxes of differing quality?

    Oh yes, i bought a fairly expensive 4 way gold plated one and when ever i go
    to text or volume on my freeview box i get the picture bleed through my blue
    background of the volume and menu bars. My 10 yeal old cheap as pants 2 way
    scart switch works fine.

    Damian

    --
    Damian Burrin
    UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

    Damian Burrin, Jun 27, 2005
  7. MrGrumpy

    Brian Guest

    "MrGrumpy" <> wrote:

    >Bush DVD; when playing prerecorded dvd's, display alternates between
    >light/dark - not so dark as to be unwatchable -
    >DVD's play fine on other player. Any thoughts?
    >Thanks

    It looks very much like copyright protection on the DVD is causing
    this.
    This usually happens if you feed the video signal from a DVD player
    into a VHS recorder or DVD recorder then connect a TV to the output of
    the VHS recorder or DVD Recorder.
    The copyright protection prevents you from recording off a DVD by
    giving you a bad picture of different levels of brightness.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Jun 28, 2005