    Bios ? Broke graphics card ? Loose connection ?
    Cheers,

    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bowlersbits
    Bowler, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Bowler wrote:
    > The display on my laptop (Advent 7016 Win Xp Home SP2) has become corrupted.
    > So far have tried;
    > Linking to an external monitor - same problem.
    > Updating to the latest driver (ATI mobility radeon 9000) - no difference.
    > Ran a virus check - nothing detected.
    >
    > Very difficult to get safe mode as the boot screens are also corrupted with
    > various sq root / smiley faces etc and cant see the safe mode options too
    > clearly.
    > Have put a few screenshots on this site in the hope someone can identify
    > the problem.
    > Bios ? Broke graphics card ? Loose connection ?
    > Cheers,
    >
    > http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bowlersbits

    Probably caused by graphics memory errors = Broke mainboard - IIRC the
    7016 has a 64MByte memory chip on the mainboard for the graphics. You
    get different effects in different screen modes as the faulty memory
    gets used for different things.

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Bowler

    HMV Guest

    " Bowler" <> wrote in message
    > The display on my laptop (Advent 7016 Win Xp Home SP2) has become
    > corrupted.
    > So far have tried;
    > Linking to an external monitor - same problem.
    > Updating to the latest driver (ATI mobility radeon 9000) - no difference.
    > Ran a virus check - nothing detected.
    >
    > Very difficult to get safe mode as the boot screens are also corrupted
    > with
    > various sq root / smiley faces etc and cant see the safe mode options too
    > clearly.
    > Have put a few screenshots on this site in the hope someone can identify
    > the problem.
    > Bios ? Broke graphics card ? Loose connection ?
    > Cheers,
    >
    > http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bowlersbits

    This is likely to be a fault with the graphics card. It might be a temporary
    fault - if it's due to overheating. If it is overheating then you must take
    action to prevent this before any further use, as the graphics chip will
    almost certainly die completely.

    With the machine switched off - use some aerosol compressed air to clean all
    vents on the machine. If it still overheats then, consider using a notebook
    cooler. Also never use the machine on soft furnishings or carpet, and if
    it's used on the lap - then ensure it's positioned so none of the vents are
    blocked (better still use it on a desk).

    I have a very similar machine to yours, using the same chassis (Multivision
    Solus 1030 - aka Advent 7017) and it often overheats when used
    inappropriately. It is now confined to desk use, sitting on a notebook
    cooler. Excess heat makes it very unstable and on a few occasions I have
    seen the same graphical glitches (but not since ensuring it's clean and
    cool). Dust builds up on the air vents every few weeks.

    HELPMV

    --
    Help and support with Multivision Computers
    HMV, Feb 18, 2006