Display problem (MSIE) - new laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Taz, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Taz

    Taz Guest

    Howdy-

    Just picked up a laptop w/ SXGA display that's optimally set at
    1920x1200 (GeForce4 4200 card). As you might expect, everything is
    displayed very small (which I can handle). The problem is that MSIE 5.5
    and (to some extent) NS 7.0 display images very badly.

    For example, the text is as sharp as anything, but any pictures lack
    resolution - they look "boxy"

    I've tried adjusting the res. in the Ctrl panel to no avail (it just
    makes everything look worse). This seems to be mostly an MSIE problem,
    but I'm missing the switch to fix it somewhere....

    Any help would be appreciated (either here or "taz at theworld dot com)

    TIA-

    Taz, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Taz

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:09:31 -0400, Taz wrote:

    >Howdy-
    >
    >Just picked up a laptop w/ SXGA display that's optimally set at
    >1920x1200 (GeForce4 4200 card). As you might expect, everything is

    <snip>

    >For example, the text is as sharp as anything, but any pictures lack
    >resolution - they look "boxy"

    So no URLs then.

    >I've tried adjusting the res. in the Ctrl panel to no avail (it just
    >makes everything look worse). This seems to be mostly an MSIE problem,
    >but I'm missing the switch to fix it somewhere....

    The pictures may be low res, low color depth. You didn't say what your
    color depth was btw, it may not matter.... res goes up color drops.
    (Don't know the specs for your card , laptop model) You did check the
    video card site driver versions / FAQ etc.
    It's not squshed images, thumbnails sort of thing, maybe.

    >Any help would be appreciated (either here or "taz at theworld dot com)

    MSIE Tools / Options / Advanced / Multimedia then look at
    Smart Image Dithering and/or Enable Automatic Resizing. I have these
    both off. Don't know why, not really bothered I guess.

    Me

    why?, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Taz

    Taz Guest

    why? wrote:

    > The pictures may be low res, low color depth. You didn't say what your
    > color depth was btw, it may not matter.... res goes up color drops.
    > (Don't know the specs for your card , laptop model) You did check the
    > video card site driver versions / FAQ etc.
    > It's not squshed images, thumbnails sort of thing, maybe.

    No, it def. seems to be an MSIE thing. Everything displays fine in NS
    and Opera.

    > MSIE Tools / Options / Advanced / Multimedia then look at
    > Smart Image Dithering and/or Enable Automatic Resizing. I have these
    > both off. Don't know why, not really bothered I guess.

    Yeah, I took a look at that - no difference.

    Thx tho-

    Taz, Sep 12, 2003