    Any ideas?,

    With thanks

    Mike S

    Michael Smith, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Michael Smith

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Michael Smith" wrote
    > I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
    > a 256 colour display
    > Any ideas?

    I have seen and fixed this before... but can't remember how, I think it was
    something like setting the colour depth to 256 colour when I wanted to use
    that game...

    Which OS?

    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003

  3. Michael Smith

    lost Guest

    Michael Smith wrote:

    > I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
    > a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
    > current display driver palette is too small
    >
    > Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

    Some older Windows programs were made back when everyone either used 16
    colours or 256 colours, so it demands the display be set to 256 colours
    because they assumed anything else would mean 16 colours or monocrome.

    lost, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Michael Smith

    pete Guest

    "lost" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Michael Smith wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
    > > a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
    > > current display driver palette is too small
    > >
    > > Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

    > Some older Windows programs were made back when everyone either used 16
    > colours or 256 colours, so it demands the display be set to 256 colours
    > because they assumed anything else would mean 16 colours or monocrome.

    16 bit = high colour. I have a number of games that the grandkids use
    (Broderbund Living Books) and they have to be 640 x 480, 256 colour. I've
    set up the PC so when the log on with their names it comes up in this
    resolution (plus a lot of things disabled). If you haven't already got it
    so, from control panel /display /settings / advanced, check the box to "show
    settings on task bar" makes life easier to change screen res back and forth.

    pete, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Michael Smith

    bt Guest

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:54:20 GMT, (Michael
    Smith) wrote:

    >I am trying to run a older kids game on my machine that only requires
    >a 256 colour display, however when I try to run it it tells me my
    >current display driver palette is too small
    >
    >Video card is S3 trio 64 running 800* 600 16 bit display

    Set it to 256 colours for these programs. Don't be surprised if you
    also have to set the resolution to 640x480.

    >Any ideas?,

    If you are running XP or maybe win 2000, you can set these things on a
    shortcut to the program. Simply open the properties of the shortcut
    and go to the compatibility tab.

    Ideally you'd get new programs...

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 10, 2003