Display of available BSSIDs for SSIDs

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Roger Abell, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. Roger Abell

    Roger Abell Guest

    Subject system is XP SP2

    I have noticed that when I am at a location where the laptop
    transciever establishes carrier with an access point but fails
    to get a Dhcp Offer response to its Discover broadcasts

    1. there is eventual popup to effect of 'you are connected but
    this network connection may be of limited or no usability'
    2. the machine has failed over to autonet IP
    and most importantly for this posting
    3. I am able to access an interface in which all the visible
    access points are listed along with their dBm strength,
    and highlighting any one lets one see its BSSID, and if
    a SSID is connected then the access point of best strength
    for that SSID has a different icon and has been autoselected
    for the connection.
    I am not sure but think I found this interface by doing something,
    somewhere in the view available networks click-path

    Questions:

    1. when in this interface is it possible to change from the
    autoselected access point and force use of a different
    BSSID for that SSID ?
    2. is it possible to get to this interface when all wireless
    autoconfig has completed normally and all is well?
    I cannot seem to find where, and it is as if the View
    available networks interface hooks in and replaces
    the interface that shows all access points.
    3. how does one simply get info on the visible access
    points per SSID and on the BSSID of the then current
    wireless carrier connection?

    TIA,
    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    Roger Abell, Apr 14, 2005

  2. - Are you using microsoft wireless zero configuration service to manage your
    adapter, or there is a 3rd party wireless software installed on your box.
    - There is no standard microsoft UI that will allow you to see the list of
    BSSIDs for a particular SSID.
    - Is it possible for you to send a screenshot of this UI.
    - What is the make of your laptop and the wireless nic.

    Thanks very much,
    Taroon

    Taroon Mandhana\(MSFT\), Apr 14, 2005

  3. Well. Interesting that piece of info ! Thx.

    I wish I could find it again !!!

    If I get to see it again I will capture, and walk the process tree
    a little to see if I can figure what it is / wherefrom. I could
    swear that I accessed it via the view available feature.

    This XP has no third-party wireless apps to my knowledge but
    does/did have MS Broadband installed.

    I "stumbled" onto the interface while trying to diag issue we
    are having in one location where we are covering the city
    downtown, while at the location.
    It was actually a pretty useful UI !! Some 20 +/- access points
    shown, with signal strength of each, for about 6 SSIDs. Highlight
    one and the rest of the UI populated with info specific to it.

    Hmmm.

    Is the current BSSID / access point listing info not persisted
    somewhere rather than fully volitile?

    --
    Roger

    Roger Abell [MVP], Apr 14, 2005
  4. This might just be a guess but did you install Netstumbler for diagnostic
    purposes? It's a useful tool for discovery of wireless APs but it does
    disable WZCSVC when launch.

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    Oliver Saal [MS], Apr 19, 2005