Display Find box permanently

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    zoomin' along wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > In Firefox (Minefield) I was wondering whether there was an about:config
    > option, and extension, or
    > any other setting to make the Find box display permanently without having to
    > re-initiate it each time you restart Firefox.
    >
    > I've got the screen space, and I would like it there *all* the time,
    > preferably up with the url and search boxes if at all possible.

    Not what you want, but why not just press ' (single quote) which brings
    up the find box with focus; if you do nothing it times out and goes away
    automatically. So to search, you just precede your search term with '
    easy peasy.

    zoomin' along, Jul 11, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-07-11, zoomin' along <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > In Firefox (Minefield) I was wondering whether there was an about:config
    > option, and extension, or
    > any other setting to make the Find box display permanently without having to
    > re-initiate it each time you restart Firefox.
    >
    > I've got the screen space, and I would like it there *all* the time,
    > preferably up with the url and search boxes if at all possible.

    Just use the keyboard shortcut slash starts searching, F3 repeats it.
    atleast that's what I use in mozilla.

    Having to use a mouse to enable a feature that needs the
    keyboard seems a waste of time.

    What's the deal with the separate (and tiny) search box in firefox? mozilla uses
    the location box for input and you can search by hitting the search button
    (instead of go) or doing down-down-enter on the keyboard.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 11, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    bambam Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::

    > Not what you want, but why not just press ' (single quote) which brings
    > up the find box with focus; if you do nothing it times out and goes away
    > automatically. So to search, you just precede your search term with '
    > easy peasy.

    They say you should learn something new every day. You've just taught me a
    new trick, thanks. :)

    bambam, Jul 11, 2006
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    bambam wrote:
    > -=rjh=- <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Not what you want, but why not just press ' (single quote) which brings
    >> up the find box with focus; if you do nothing it times out and goes away
    >> automatically. So to search, you just precede your search term with '
    >> easy peasy.

    > They say you should learn something new every day. You've just taught me a
    > new trick, thanks. :)

    Actually, what I wrote wasn't entirely correct, or at least needs some
    clarification - using ' will search the page for *links* containing the
    text string as you type, to search for *all* occurrences replace ' with
    / as Jasen said before for Mozilla, and this works with Firefox.

    Shift-F3 will search backwards.

    Certainly concur with Jasen that this is way better than having the box
    displayed permanently and navigating to it with the mouse to get focus
    (since you're going to use the keyboard to input the text anyway).

    If you have the Find box already displayed, using ' or / to get focus
    results in it going away after a timeout, so you have to use the mouse
    to get focus if you want it to stay. Maybe that behaviour can be changed.

    The only reason to hang around in this newsgroup is to learn new things,
    It would be good if there were more questions, tips and useful links posted.

    -=rjh=-, Jul 13, 2006