    Sorry i didn't introduce myself.
    I'm Matt aka devilbear
    admin at funkb.us sports
    devilbear, Nov 6, 2005

  2. devilbear wrote:
    > I would like to display a local directory in an iframe or a webpage. I
    > have tried a number of different paths in an iframe and that doesn't
    > work. I don't know how to call info from a local directory in html or
    > java but I know it is possible because I have been to websites that
    > display my C:\ directory as an example of this but I can't find one
    > now. Can anyone help!

    That is the digital equivalent of smoke and mirrors. It can only show
    you *your* computer's directory, not that of someone else's. Sounds like
    what you're wanting to do is run an HTML server. It would be better to
    have someone host your files for you and then you can put them in
    different folders on the server.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 6, 2005

  3. devilbear

    devilbear Guest

    Actually I want the smoke and mirrors. I want the page to call a
    directory on each persons pc and display it within a page. I can then
    display that page within an iframe. so when you went to the page it
    would display your favorites directory (linkable) to you. Make sense?
    If iframe let you do this

    IFRAME ID=IFrame1 FRAMEBORDER=0 Width="80%" Height="400" SCROLLING=YES
    SRC="c:\folder name here"></IFRAME>

    That would be ideal but that doesn't work. I've tried a few ways like
    that.

    devilbear, Nov 6, 2005
  5. devilbear

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    devilbear <> wrote:

    > Actually I want the smoke and mirrors. I want the page to call a
    > directory on each persons pc and display it within a page. I can then
    > display that page within an iframe. so when you went to the page it
    > would display your favorites directory (linkable) to you. Make sense?

    Your description does -- the reaosn for doing it does not make any
    sense.

    The user you are trying to display that to already has these favorites,
    ready to click on. For you to show them the list seems pointless,
    especially if you can't do anything new or useful.
    Mitch, Nov 6, 2005
  6. devilbear

    why? Guest

    On 5 Nov 2005 20:53:52 -0800, devilbear wrote:

    >Actually I want the smoke and mirrors. I want the page to call a
    >directory on each persons pc and display it within a page. I can then

    I wouldn't want anybody to be able to do that to my PC.

    >display that page within an iframe. so when you went to the page it
    >would display your favorites directory (linkable) to you. Make sense?
    >If iframe let you do this

    I can scan my own folders and make a page of links to my files when and
    only when I want.

    >IFRAME ID=IFrame1 FRAMEBORDER=0 Width="80%" Height="400" SCROLLING=YES
    >SRC="c:\folder name here"></IFRAME>

    That was an exploit that's hopefully has now been patched on most
    systems, IE6 SP1 IIRC.

    There aere also several changes to LMZ in XP SP2 access.

    >That would be ideal but that doesn't work. I've tried a few ways like
    >that.

    Java/ActiveX , allowing for the fact those may be blocked anyway.

    Me
    why?, Nov 6, 2005
  7. devilbear

    devilbear Guest

    Don't worry about why, and how is this bad? The page is only
    displaying info that is on your pc to you and only you. Not going to a
    website or even a cookie. Man don't be so paranoid.
    devilbear, Nov 6, 2005
  8. devilbear

    why? Guest

    On 6 Nov 2005 04:59:17 -0800, devilbear wrote:

    Why do you think the exploit is blocked?

    Why do you think MS hid one of the security zones in IE?

    >Don't worry about why, and how is this bad? The page is only

    As for how and why , because it's bad there are lots of security notices
    with full details.

    What's worse is all those XP boxes with 1 account running under admin
    rights by default.

    >displaying info that is on your pc to you and only you. Not going to a

    That was the whole problem in the first place, it was thought accessing
    files this way was safe.

    If it's not going to a website, where does the page sit, that has the
    iframe in it, that I have to access it via a browser?

    It's much easier to d/l
    http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/dir2html/
    License: Freeware
    DIR2HTML creates an HTML index from a file system directory.

    >website or even a cookie. Man don't be so paranoid.

    I will be as paranoid about access to my pc/data as I wish, as it is the
    FW - strips activex , other scripting, blocks cookies and ads, blocks
    all sites by default and many other options.

    Me
    why?, Nov 6, 2005
  9. devilbear

    devilbear Guest

    The data is provided by your pc to your browser because the browser is
    prompted by code on a web page. The page sits in the same place it is
    sitting now in your temporary internet files. NO INFO LEAVES YOUR PC
    EVER. IT IS DONE ALL THE TIME
    devilbear, Nov 6, 2005
  10. devilbear wrote:
    > The data is provided by your pc to your browser because the browser is
    > prompted by code on a web page. The page sits in the same place it is
    > sitting now in your temporary internet files. NO INFO LEAVES YOUR PC
    > EVER. IT IS DONE ALL THE TIME

    And frequently it is (or was) done to scare people into buying some sort
    of hocus pocus security software. As Why? said, why do you think MS
    closed that security hole? It's *not* done all the time anymore unless
    you're using an old browser. I did a little checking around about some
    code, all that I saw did not work. And I'm not about to go searching
    ActiveX crap for it. I'd suggest getting the whole idea out of your head.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 6, 2005
  11. devilbear

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:36:21 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:

    >devilbear wrote:
    >> The data is provided by your pc to your browser because the browser is
    >> prompted by code on a web page. The page sits in the same place it is
    >> sitting now in your temporary internet files. NO INFO LEAVES YOUR PC
    >> EVER. IT IS DONE ALL THE TIME
    >>

    >And frequently it is (or was) done to scare people into buying some sort
    >of hocus pocus security software. As Why? said, why do you think MS
    >closed that security hole? It's *not* done all the time anymore unless

    <snip>
    >ActiveX crap for it. I'd suggest getting the whole idea out of your head.

    Thank you.

    I stopped replying to db after the last bit of nonsense.

    Me
    why?, Nov 6, 2005
  12. devilbear

    devilbear Guest

    I found a better way though thank you for trying.
    devilbear, Nov 6, 2005